Old 06-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #11
Captain

Don't just walk... Run. The real shame is he'll probably throw in a new impeller, and try to sell it to someone else.

And that blower should have been on 4 minutes before you started up, and anytime off plane. I just run mine all the time.

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:37 AM   #12
Admiral

I agree with you, he toasted the engine and if not dead now it will be soon. Seen this happen too many times.

If he would have listened when you pointed out the high temp and allowed you to verify with the IR sensor he could have save the engine and potentially a sale.

Looking at about $6K to install a rebuilt long block.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
Ensign

And one of the first things I asked him was when he had the lower unit serviced in the spring, if they replaced the impeller.
Thanks to you guys on this forum I knew some questions to ask and what to watch out for.
Thanks for helping me avoid a BIG costly mistake. Oh and all the grief I would have had to endure from the missus.
I'm not counting out the brand so I will sick around awhile and see what else I can find when the time is right.

Yes Kevlar He did run the blower a good while before starting the engine but sometime during the ride/ cruise he had shut it off.
Crooz1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Captain

Well sounds like it was pretty exciting. I always stress that something is gonna go wrong on the test drive when I sell cars... I can only imagine what he must have felt like!

Assuming he's not a bad guy, just ignorant of some boating basics, I can't imagine what that must have felt like!!

That must have been the longest tow home ever.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #15
Admiral

Stick around all boat makes are welcome.

On a good note the missus got to see first hand this was not the right boat. Plus a little education for when you say its time to do some maintenance she will not question it.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #16
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Stick around all boat makes are welcome.

On a good note the missus got to see first hand this was not the right boat. Plus a little education for when you say its time to do some maintenance she will not question it.

Good point Mike.

"Remember that boat that went up in smoke? Well I need to spend this $1000 so we don't do that."

"But how does a new stereo affect that?"

"Trust me."
Old 06-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #17
Ensign

unfortunately , it may have soured her on big boats all together as she likes to cruise and feel the wind blowing.
Owner said 3 MPG and she liked to fell over. We can take our small boat out and cruise around all day for 20 bucks.
Of course if we moved the big boat out to a secluded cove then zipped around in the little boat during the day....
We'd have a nice comfy "home" to return to.
Sounds like a win to me.
Crooz1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #18
Captain

3 mpg? Sounds like the engine wasn't the only smoke he was blowing. Now granted mine is the 3000 scr, but I get 1mpg on plane, 2 cruising at 6kts. My old boat was a 21' cuddy cabin with a 5.7 and alpha drive, and I got 2mpg on plane, never measured slower.

We certainly don't own these boats because they are so affordable. Lol.