Old 06-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New to me 97 2400 SCR

Wife and I are looking at our first cruiser and have found the above mentions boat close to home. BUT there are no surveyors around Smith mountain lake that I can find. I'm very mechanically inclined and don't mind getting my hands dirty but with this being my first BIg boat I'd like to have some sort of inspection before plunking down the cash? Any suggestions? I guess I could just have the marina mechanics look it over and verify that it is good to go. More worried about the powerplant and out drive than wiring and electrical as that part should be relatively easy to repair as thats what I do now although i worked several years as an engine rebuild mechanic.
Thanks for the advice.
Oh the boat is powered by a 5.7 and Alpha 1 Not sure of the hours.

Crooz1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard.

I have a 97' 2400 SCR with a 5.7 and bravo 2.

Use a handheld IR temp sensor and take readings of the engine t-stat, intake, exhaust manifolds and risers. None should be over 160 F.

Drain a small amount of gear lube from the drive and look for sign of water. You can remove the drain plug which has a magnet on it to look for metal flakes which would be a sign of wear. Caution place thumb over drain hole else lube will pour out.

Use a dead blow hammer and wrap transom and stringers listening for a hollow sound that would be rot.

Probably not many surveyors that far west VA.

Good luck and let us know if you get her.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:58 PM   #3
Ensign

Would that 160 temp be during just idling or after a few minutes cruising?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooz1n View Post
Would that 160 temp be during just idling or after a few minutes cruising?
That would be once fully warmed up.

Mike
Old 06-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
Lieutenant

I always ask for maintenance receipts. Many of the boats at my marina that have issues are the ones that have had multiple owners and a murky history. I highly value boats/cars/motorcycles that have a small history of owners. A good owner will have everything to show. Trick is finding that one awesome owner who needs to sell at your offered price.

A good 3rd party surveyor will help to identify things.

Enjoy using the boat and improving it to your customization, not fixing others' neglect.
(No Gen, no A/C)
Skip R Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Ensign

Problem is there are no surveyors within 100 miles of here. I will ask the marina mechanics where it is located. That may be the best I can do. I will take temperature readings this weekend when we go out on it.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
Ensign

Ive also found a 4 year newer boat for $1000.00 less but it has a 5.0 instead of a 5.7.
Is this a big deal?
2001 also has a trailer,factory AC, trim tabs already installed , microwave but no canvas or bimini like the 97.
Also no hour meter so no telling how many hours. Both are freshwater boats.
I have only seen one picture as of yet but I think I may go have a looksee. Its an hour and a half away.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooz1n View Post
Ive also found a 4 year newer boat for $1000.00 less but it has a 5.0 instead of a 5.7.
Is this a big deal?
2001 also has a trailer,factory AC, trim tabs already installed , microwave but no canvas or bimini like the 97.
Also no hour meter so no telling how many hours. Both are freshwater boats.
I have only seen one picture as of yet but I think I may go have a looksee. Its an hour and a half away.
Hard to answer but things to compare.

Are they both carbs or fuel injection? If carbs are they 2 or 4 bbl?

After that which boat do you like better?

Mike
Old 06-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

you should be able to pull the hours off the computer if it's MPI or ignition module if it's thunderbolt IV.
personally I think it's worth knowing the true hours regardless of how good a shape the boat is in.
Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #10
Ensign

Well we went for a test drive Saturday. Didn't turn out to well. I took my digital thermal gun to check the cylinder temps. It appeared all was going well some little things we didn't really like but might. Have overlooked for the right price. So the owner starts the engine, cranks right up. Idles for a whole, we cast off and start out through the no wake zone around the marina. As we are moving along I'm looking over the gauges and note that the MPH was not working. He explained that the mechanic told him there was a tube that gets stopped p that needs cleaned out. I then asked about temp reading which is pegged at 280. He's aid no it was reading fine while we were at the dock. He pecks it with his knuckle to see if it's stuck ,shrugs and then throttles up. We ride about 15-20 min . Hes showing how it takes wakes, how it planes and turns we start heading back to the marina and it starts loosing power. About that time I start smelling something. He shuts it down and smoke just billows out the back of the boat. It continues for several minutes and I 'm thinking it might actually catch fire. I ask about a fire extinguisher. Nope, don't have one. NOw the cabin is also filled with smoke. He turns on the blower to try and clear some smoke.
After several more minutes he opens the hatch and intake temp readings . 300+ on the right bank, 280 at thermostat housing, 290 ish on the left bank.
He just bragged about having a Sea Tow membership that came with the slip rental and how he had never used it. Well he has now. Took about 30-40 minutes but they came out and towed us back.
needless to say we passed on the boat at this time.
I figure it's cooked. He didn't try to turn it over once he shut it off and I'm of the opinion I dont want it unless the complete engine is replaced and maybe OT then.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:25 AM   #11
Captain

Don't just walk... Run. The real shame is he'll probably throw in a new impeller, and try to sell it to someone else.

And that blower should have been on 4 minutes before you started up, and anytime off plane. I just run mine all the time.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:37 AM   #12
Admiral

I agree with you, he toasted the engine and if not dead now it will be soon. Seen this happen too many times.

If he would have listened when you pointed out the high temp and allowed you to verify with the IR sensor he could have save the engine and potentially a sale.

Looking at about $6K to install a rebuilt long block.

Mike
Old 06-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #13
Ensign

And one of the first things I asked him was when he had the lower unit serviced in the spring, if they replaced the impeller.
Thanks to you guys on this forum I knew some questions to ask and what to watch out for.
Thanks for helping me avoid a BIG costly mistake. Oh and all the grief I would have had to endure from the missus.
I'm not counting out the brand so I will sick around awhile and see what else I can find when the time is right.

Yes Kevlar He did run the blower a good while before starting the engine but sometime during the ride/ cruise he had shut it off.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
Captain

Well sounds like it was pretty exciting. I always stress that something is gonna go wrong on the test drive when I sell cars... I can only imagine what he must have felt like!

Assuming he's not a bad guy, just ignorant of some boating basics, I can't imagine what that must have felt like!!

That must have been the longest tow home ever.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
Admiral

Stick around all boat makes are welcome.

On a good note the missus got to see first hand this was not the right boat. Plus a little education for when you say its time to do some maintenance she will not question it.

Mike
Old 06-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #16
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Stick around all boat makes are welcome.

On a good note the missus got to see first hand this was not the right boat. Plus a little education for when you say its time to do some maintenance she will not question it.

Good point Mike.

"Remember that boat that went up in smoke? Well I need to spend this $1000 so we don't do that."

"But how does a new stereo affect that?"

"Trust me."
Old 06-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #17
Ensign

unfortunately , it may have soured her on big boats all together as she likes to cruise and feel the wind blowing.
Owner said 3 MPG and she liked to fell over. We can take our small boat out and cruise around all day for 20 bucks.
Of course if we moved the big boat out to a secluded cove then zipped around in the little boat during the day....
We'd have a nice comfy "home" to return to.
Sounds like a win to me.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #18
Captain

3 mpg? Sounds like the engine wasn't the only smoke he was blowing. Now granted mine is the 3000 scr, but I get 1mpg on plane, 2 cruising at 6kts. My old boat was a 21' cuddy cabin with a 5.7 and alpha drive, and I got 2mpg on plane, never measured slower.

We certainly don't own these boats because they are so affordable. Lol.