Old 01-02-2007, 05:10 AM   #1
Ensign

Default New owners 3500 SCR

We just purchased and moved to Canada a 2001 3500 SCR. I'd like to connect with an experienced owner of a 3500 to mentor us through a number of questions we have. Please advice. Thanks

Old 01-03-2007, 01:42 AM   #2
Admiral

Default 3500scr

ask away...there are some big boaters here as well as experienced boaters....hopefully someone can answer your questions..... 8)

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
Ensign

Default Questions on 3500

I know some of these questions are silly....but I don't know the answers..so here goes.
a) I have 2 inboard engines w/ v drives. I know the engines turn in opposite directions. Which way do they turn? Are the props left hand/right hand?
b) The top of the swim platform on the 3500 in quite proud of the water surface, which is nice, as I am told, it will help to deminish slapping of water under the transon. Is this true? If the transom is high up, does a 12' pontoon dingy have to be lifted up to reach the davits? Are 18" pontoon better?
c) Has anyone mounted dingy davits under the swim platform, which is easily accessable from the eangine room, as this would act to lower the davits and remove them from the walking area of the swim platform and get them largely out of sight?
d) Has anyone used Sea Wise Davits, the hydraulic one or manual, on their 3500? http://www.davitsystem.com/. How did you deal with the pole and still retain reasonable access to the transom storage?
e) I'd like to dim the salon lights, but don't understand the wiring to the swiches. Has anyone done this?

Actually I have more questions but that's enough for now.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
Admiral

Default questions

1)yes they are counter rotating drives and props..usually the port is clockwise ..stbd counter...alot of times they have them do that to minimize torque effects on the hull....but it's easy to check..put them in gear in idle and have someone check...but being really careful not to fall off....
2)I'm not sure what you mean by "Transome is proud"....the height above the water is really just indicative to the way the boat rides when it's on step...so that it doesn't end up underwater while underway. and as for davits...out here the most popular davits are weaver davits...they are stronger than most and I know they have excellent customer service...now if your talking about a wench type davit..then anything is possible...but be sure to have a large base plate so it will spread the load evenly so as not to stress the whole swim step....
3)dimmers there are a ton of them ...are you talking about the 12vdc lights or 120vac lighting....????
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 01-06-2007, 03:28 AM   #5
Ensign

Default 3500

Thanks seapuppy:
I'm in storage on a trailer so I'll watch the shafts when I fire the engines in a month or so and confirm before I mount the props
So one of the props must be manufactured in reverse or I'll be spinning in circles, right? :roll:
Thanks for the clarity on why the swim platform is so high.
I'd like to dim the 12vdc lites.
There is, what appears to be, a wall mounted pump just forward to port of the port engine. It has 2 1/2 inch sanitary type lines going to it. It's not the vac pump for the head system, I know that. It may become evident when the boat is in the water. Do you know the 3500? What does this pump do? :?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:48 AM   #6
Admiral

Default more info

lights....you can usually go to a camper store or even a car parts house and get a slide dimmer switch....that will probably work..
pump on the wall...hmmm...in my boat the pumps are inside the swim step on the deck....are you sure it's a pump??...could it be a filter system??...or the fresh water system pump??....if it comes from the the san tank ...it's the macerator..trace the lines and see which tank it comes from....if it goes to some blue lines...then it's probably the fresh water system for potable water....(pronounced- pote-able [long "o"]).....don't have that boat...wouldn't mind it if I had the cash...it's an awesome boat...alot of room and rides nice...been on them a few times....ah..got it...after reading your thread again...a 2.5 inch line is the black water or waste water tank macerator...it chops up solid waste and pumps it overboard....
hope this helps....

when you start the engines...make sure you have water going to the outdrives before you start the engines...use what we call "muffs"...also make sure the outdrives are all the way down...
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 01-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Ensign

Default 3500 gelcoat

Sure seapuppy---that's what it is---the macerator----I should have guessed that. It's a differant style of pump and configuation than I had on my old bayliner 2855. The engin-gearing on the Maxum is very differant than the Bayliner. From everything I see the Maxum is far more thought out. Even the by-pass around the water heater is just brillant compared to the 2855, for example. The boat is total solid in comparision. Everything is much heavier. Good engineers at bayliner must move up to maxum when they get a promotion haha
Thanks for the kind comment on the 3500. I started pounding nails at 17 and it's taken me along time and alot of nails to accomplish my dream of owning this kind of boat.
Actually this boat has inboards,I'm going to miss the stern drives, in alot of ways. My mechanic buddy has something that looks like a toilet plunger with a hose bib--so we will use that to supply cooling water.
The gelcoat has a little oxidation on it. Do you know if automotive rubbing coumpound like turtle wax rubbing compound can be used or are the rubbing compounds at west marine different for fiberglass.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
Admiral

Default new boat

great..I got a good guess...haha....well...as far as the gelcoat goes...I got turned on too this stuff that is an excellent wax/restorer and cleaner...it's called seapower....easy to put on and take off and really lasts...but it depends on how bad the oxidation is ....try the seapower first...if it still is dull looking..then go to a maquires rubbing compound for marine applications....that will restore the hull nicely....hope this helps....congrats on the boat...we have a 2700 scr and love it....I've been adding things like led lights on the swim step......sat. dish tv...etc...so far we're loving it ....
also get your mmsi number for the radio.....it's free and could save you guys in an emergency..... :wink:
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 01-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
Ensign

Default 3500

Thanks for your help and advice