Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Ensign

Cool new owner! questions, questions!!!

Hi,
We are about to get our first real boat next week - its a 2400SCR 1997 in vgc with a new engine and we just can't wait!! My husband use to dive and had a biggish rib that he used to take friends from the dive club out on but this is a new game to us totally otherwise! He knows how to use a lot of the equipment and has good navigation skills etc and we are both booking up for training - he thinks we should do the skippers course but we're not sure if that will be over my head as I am a total novice!!
We live at the coast so looking forward to fishing (him) and chilling out (me!)and a long, hot, windless summer! We also have dogs (springer spaniel and Jack russell) - has anyone got any tips or suggestions about them being on board (or not being on maybe?!). any tips about this and the boat we are getting would be fab - thanks!

howards rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Commander

Jack Russels like boats
Attached Thumbnails
Powell-1-14.jpg   Powell-1-13.jpg  

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Admiral

Well first of all..............I big warm welcome to you folks on the otherside of the pond! Congrats on the new boat. Sounds like the both of you are headed in the right direction in the education part of boating. As a safe boating instructor I would suggest no matter what your skill level is take the class together, the both of you will benefit greatly! Also you demand (in a nice way) that he shows you everything on the boat on how everything works and doesn't work, just in case something happens to him, leaving you in charge. Take turns driving, starting, launching and etc. etc.

Can't help you with the dogs, use to have an Austrailian Shephard and "Lucy" loved the water, but was too nervous when staying overnight. We have two cats now and they stay home.

have a great summer!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards rock View Post
He knows how to use a lot of the equipment and has good navigation skills etc and we are both booking up for training - he thinks we should do the skippers course but we're not sure if that will be over my head as I am a total novice!!
Hi Howard's Rock. I'll be teh second to throw in a hearty "Welcome Aboard the Board"!!! I can't agree with Roger more. I'll even add to that. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH KNOWLEDGE. If given a choice take the most comprehensive course that you can. I've boated my entire life starting on my grandparent's and parent's boats, but I took the course anyway. (Mostly for the insurance reduction) However, I was still surprised to learn things I didn't know. My wife didn't NEED to take the course, but I signed her up too. I opted for an advanced course that included navigation. Now my wife is the navigator and loves it. Our classes were every Wed. night for a couple of months through a winter and we made a 'date night' out of it. I think that she finds boating much more rewarding when she is an active participant and not just a passenger. She loves it when I tell male guests to "Sit down and don't 'help'. Don't worry, she's got it under control and you'll just be in her way" as we leave/approach teh dock.

Take a look at Linda Greenlaw. She been running lobster and sword boats offshore for many years and has survived at least 3 hurricanes at sea as captain. There are many woman that I would gladly call Captain. If they can do it, you can do it too. Go for it and have fun!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Welcome and congrats. Not sure this guy actually qualifies as a "dog" (don't tell the admiral I said that) but he loves being on the boat and is pretty well behaved. The admiral takes him for a long walk around the parking lot as I am prepping / launching the boat for obvious reasons and so far - so good.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1148.jpg  
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #6
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo....first off...make sure you have it surveyed....2nd off, take the basic course first..both of you...at the same time......then move to the skipper's course....
3rdly...never approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it....
dogs are great critters to have onboard the boat..the problem is I've never been able to teach ours to use the head and flush.....so...our problem is we need to be near a dock or on a dock to get them off to walk them....
kodi on the right doesn't like it when the blowers or engines are turned on.

as you can see...he's a little nervous.....
..but once we get tied to the new dock and powered up....he's a happy camper...likes to cuddle in the midberth and is very comfortable...and spoiled.....

so..I'd say..go for it...just make sure you can walk them about 4 times a day.....(careful what you feed them...not pretty when whatever they ate comes shooting out the back)...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Captain

welcome a board from the netherlands

and pup.....what a wunderfull dogs your having.....

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Ensign

thanks for the pic's - ours is a little one like yours and I think she will love it too! Not sure about springer spaniels and boats though!! Boat looks great too!
Sonia
Old 06-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
Ensign

Hi Roger,
Thanks for your reply! Yes - we are going to do it all together as you suggest, we have arranged for someone to drive us next week when we pick it up as well as it will take about 6 hours and we wanted to both be there for the trip back and get used to it!
Hopefully it will all go to plan......
Sonia
Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Ensign

Thanks for that.
Got a bit to live up to then....
Looking forward to regular visits to the forum - I've also told a friend we recently met who has a 27ft Maxum about the owners club as he wasn't aware of it and agrees that its great to have!
Sonia
Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Ensign

ahh! thank you!
Sonia
Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Ensign

Hee hee!
Good advice - thank you, your dogs look far from nervous - well chilled in fact! we do have survey booked and if all goes to plan bringing boat back home after that! We've got someone with a lot of sailing and motor boat experience who works in our harbour and has a maxum too so should all go ok....
re. the dogs, I think they would love it but yes can see how there could be a problem around "walkies"!! Maybe I could train them like Robert di Nero did his cat in "meet the parents"!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
Ensign

thank you!!
Will post some pics when we get our boat next week!
Sonia