Old 05-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default New guy with a bunch of questions. Please help...

Hello. I just joined the the forum and im happy to be abord.

I just purchased a 1992 maxum 1800 sr inboard boat off my brother in law. He had the boat for 3 years, it is in pretty good shape. During that time we only used the boat 3 times the first year it was bought. It had ran pretty good for us those 3 times we used it together. The only problem was that it would cut on or off at a low rmp, and the boat would be hard to start from time to time.

I was wondering what I should do to the boat before putting it back in the water? It has sat for 2 years without being ran and I curious as to what I should do? The battery is dead and I think it has been that way for the whole 2 years it has set. I am a little worried about having water in the fuel due to condensation. I am almost positive that theirs less than an 1/8 of a tank of fuel left in it. The boat was not winterized so I am a little afraid of what all may have taken place to the motor over the past two winters here in Pennsylvania.

Should I get it tuned? Or just replace the battery and flush the engine, and drain the left over fuel out of it? Or both.

Should I have a professional look at the engine. Im on a very tight budget and have very little to spend. So I am looking for the most affordable way to get on the water.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the help.

Here is a pic of the boat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Anyone???

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Admiral

Welcome aboard.

If not winterized and in PA I would suspect engine damage. Get a new battery hook up a hose to to the outdrive using ear muffs. Remove the gas line from the tank and put it into a can of fresh gas. If the engine runs with no issues drain the gas tank and fill with fresh gas. Replace the gas filter, engine oil and filter, and impeller. Let us know more info after this and we can advise further direction.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Welcome aboard.

If not winterized and in PA I would suspect engine damage. Get a new battery hook up a hose to to the outdrive using ear muffs. Remove the gas line from the tank and put it into a can of fresh gas. If the engine runs with no issues drain the gas tank and fill with fresh gas. Replace the gas filter, engine oil and filter, and impeller. Let us know more info after this and we can advise further direction.
Awesome, thanks so much for the reply.

I was wondering whats the easiest way to drain the tank, and what do you mean by the impeller. I am so new to this that some of it is Greek to me lol.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Admiral

If your engine was not winterized you could have a cracked block. Do what Mike has suggested but if you get the engine running make sure you don't have water gushing out somewhere.

I would also un-screw the bottom screw on the outdrive and make sure there is not any water or that that fluid is not milk brown.

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by towdarope View Post
Awesome, thanks so much for the reply.

I was wondering whats the easiest way to drain the tank, and what do you mean by the impeller. I am so new to this that some of it is Greek to me lol.

To drain the tank use either a pump that is rated to transfer gas or a siphon hose, install it into gas sender location and run it thru transom drain plug to a gas can.

The impeller is a water pump located in the out drive. It provides raw water to cool the engine and should be replaced every two years.

I suggest you get a aftermarket me recruiter manual and browse it to learn. Also ask away here

Mike
Old 05-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #7
Admiral

I'd invest in a carb rebuild kit as well.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Anyone???

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Welcome aboard!!!! Sometimes it takes time for people to rely. 1 hr is not a long time. This isn't IM.

AS for the boat, does it freeze where the boat was stored? Have you tried to start the boat yet? I would invite your brother-in-law over. Then I'd pull a valve color. If it looks like coffee with cream, ask for your money back. If it looks good, then start the motor. Let it run for a bit. Make sure it's on muffs and your runing water through it. Then shut it down. Let it cool then pull a valve color. If it looks like coffee with cream this time, ask for your money back.

If this boat wasn't winterized and it freezes in Pa, I would be running, not walking away from this boat.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Thanks for all the replies.

I am pretty worried about the engine now lol. I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed till I test it out. I hope im not in over my head. But only time will tell.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Welcome aboard!!!! Sometimes it takes time for people to rely. 1 hr is not a long time. This isn't IM.

AS for the boat, does it freeze where the boat was stored? Have you tried to start the boat yet? I would invite your brother-in-law over. Then I'd pull a valve color. If it looks like coffee with cream, ask for your money back. If it looks good, then start the motor. Let it run for a bit. Make sure it's on muffs and your runing water through it. Then shut it down. Let it cool then pull a valve color. If it looks like coffee with cream this time, ask for your money back.

If this boat wasn't winterized and it freezes in Pa, I would be running, not walking away from this boat.
It was a cold winter and it did freeze where it was stored. I have not tried to start it yet, the boats still at his house. I need to order some muffs from amazon. I got a really good deal on the boat. I only paid $400 for the boat and trailer, so I will probably just keep and fix it if their is something wrong with it. Titling and registering the boat will only be around $250 more. So I am getting a killer deal on it. I just hope it does not have any damage to it due to sitting so long.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
Admiral

It's cheap because the engine is toast and you haven't got to all the other things that will suck money out of your wallet faster than you can replace it. Why don't you use that $400.00 on a good working boat that runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
It was a cold winter and it did freeze where it was stored. I have not tried to start it yet, the boats still at his house. I need to order some muffs from amazon. I got a really good deal on the boat. I only paid $400 for the boat and trailer, so I will probably just keep and fix it if their is something wrong with it. Titling and registering the boat will only be around $250 more. So I am getting a killer deal on it. I just hope it does not have any damage to it due to sitting so long.

Only $400 plus $3K for a new engine. So go to yachtworld.com and see what a 1992 1800 is going for and determine if you still think it's a deal.

Mike
Old 05-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
It's cheap because the engine is toast and you haven't got to all the other things that will suck money out of your wallet faster than you can replace it. Why don't you use that $400.00 on a good working boat that runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Only $400 plus $3K for a new engine. So go to yachtworld.com and see what a 1992 1800 is going for and determine if you still think it's a deal.
Thanks for the advise.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
Lt. JG

Where would I be able to find out general info about the boat itself.
Im wondering what size filters it uses for air, & oil. I would also like to find out what size or type of impeller it uses. I see they sell kits fairly cheap on the Internet.

I am not purchasing these items until I find out the boat runs properly. Im am just trying to gather up some info on it. The boats being stored 1 hour away from me now, so I am unable to just go out and look at the engine myself. Do you guys know any websites where the info can be looked up without having to pay to download the manual?

Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

Welcome,
Now for the task at hand, did you're b-I-l put any antifreeze in before he put it away or at least drain the block and the exhaust? You can get a lot of info on how to do repairs on YouTube especially how the engine should be winterized. Remember one thing always that boating is not cheap since everything cost more. Good luck on you're project.

http://www.maxumcustomercare.com/
Old 05-16-2014, 01:29 AM   #16
Admiral

Quote:
Where would I be able to find out general info about the boat itself.
Im wondering what size filters it uses for air, & oil. I would also like to find out what size or type of impeller it uses. I see they sell kits fairly cheap on the Internet.

I am not purchasing these items until I find out the boat runs properly. Im am just trying to gather up some info on it. The boats being stored 1 hour away from me now, so I am unable to just go out and look at the engine myself. Do you guys know any websites where the info can be looked up without having to pay to download the manual?

Look at West Marine to get prices as a start. Mecruiser uses one oil filter for most engines. There is no air filter but instead a flame arrestor that you just clean. What drive do you have Alpha Gen 1 or 2?

Mike
Old 05-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
Admiral

Try this site for on-line manuals. You'l need to look for your engine and outdrive.

Mike
Old 05-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #18
Lt. JG

Its an alpha gen 1

Old 05-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
Its an alpha gen 1

Are you certain? I would think a 1992 would be a Alpha 1 Gen 2

Mike
Old 05-18-2014, 01:48 AM   #20
Lt. JG

I am sorry I messed up its a 1991and not a 1992.