Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
Admiral
 
biggerseagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 1,919
Default

It's cheap because the engine is toast and you haven't got to all the other things that will suck money out of your wallet faster than you can replace it. Why don't you use that $400.00 on a good working boat that runs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
__________________

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #12
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towdarope View Post
It was a cold winter and it did freeze where it was stored. I have not tried to start it yet, the boats still at his house. I need to order some muffs from amazon. I got a really good deal on the boat. I only paid $400 for the boat and trailer, so I will probably just keep and fix it if their is something wrong with it. Titling and registering the boat will only be around $250 more. So I am getting a killer deal on it. I just hope it does not have any damage to it due to sitting so long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Only $400 plus $3K for a new engine. So go to yachtworld.com and see what a 1992 1800 is going for and determine if you still think it's a deal.
__________________

__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #13
Lt. JG
 
towdarope's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
It's cheap because the engine is toast and you haven't got to all the other things that will suck money out of your wallet faster than you can replace it. Why don't you use that $400.00 on a good working boat that runs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Only $400 plus $3K for a new engine. So go to yachtworld.com and see what a 1992 1800 is going for and determine if you still think it's a deal.
Thanks for the advise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
__________________
Using Tapatalk
towdarope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
Lt. JG
 
towdarope's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 18
Default

Where would I be able to find out general info about the boat itself.
Im wondering what size filters it uses for air, & oil. I would also like to find out what size or type of impeller it uses. I see they sell kits fairly cheap on the Internet.

I am not purchasing these items until I find out the boat runs properly. Im am just trying to gather up some info on it. The boats being stored 1 hour away from me now, so I am unable to just go out and look at the engine myself. Do you guys know any websites where the info can be looked up without having to pay to download the manual?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
__________________
Using Tapatalk
towdarope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:06 AM   #15
Lt. Commander
 
mrt214's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa
Posts: 107
Default

Welcome,
Now for the task at hand, did you're b-I-l put any antifreeze in before he put it away or at least drain the block and the exhaust? You can get a lot of info on how to do repairs on YouTube especially how the engine should be winterized. Remember one thing always that boating is not cheap since everything cost more. Good luck on you're project.

http://www.maxumcustomercare.com/
__________________
Mike
mrt214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:29 AM   #16
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towdarope View Post
Where would I be able to find out general info about the boat itself.
Im wondering what size filters it uses for air, & oil. I would also like to find out what size or type of impeller it uses. I see they sell kits fairly cheap on the Internet.

I am not purchasing these items until I find out the boat runs properly. Im am just trying to gather up some info on it. The boats being stored 1 hour away from me now, so I am unable to just go out and look at the engine myself. Do you guys know any websites where the info can be looked up without having to pay to download the manual?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Look at West Marine to get prices as a start. Mecruiser uses one oil filter for most engines. There is no air filter but instead a flame arrestor that you just clean. What drive do you have Alpha Gen 1 or 2?
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #17
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,468
Default

Try this site for on-line manuals. You'l need to look for your engine and outdrive.
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:16 AM   #18
Lt. JG
 
towdarope's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 18
Default

Its an alpha gen 1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
__________________
Using Tapatalk
towdarope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:28 AM   #19
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towdarope View Post
Its an alpha gen 1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Are you certain? I would think a 1992 would be a Alpha 1 Gen 2
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:48 AM   #20
Lt. JG
 
towdarope's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 18
Default

I am sorry I messed up its a 1991and not a 1992.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Using Tapatalk
towdarope is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.