Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
Ensign

Default New guy with 89 i/o questions with trim

First boat without trim indicator gauges. There are 2 trim buttons on the throttle lever. One lowers and raises the outdrive. The other does? Someone please tell me how to properly use these on the water. Right now I put the boat in the water and lower the outdrive all the way. I then use the "trim" button when cruising to help level it off but is this correct? Or should I use the other button as well to adjust. I think they do the same thing although i dont think the trim button lowers the outdrive but definately raises it. Am I missing something?

wnaplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 AM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: New guy with 89 i/o questions with trim

welcome to the zoo.....

the top button on the throttle should be the trim buttom...basically start out with the drive all the way down...then as you get up on plane ...and get your speed settled ...bump the drive up until you feel the boat free up...if you go too far the drive will cavitate and you'll loose speed or the drive will start making noise...

then just bump it back down till the drive settles down...the bottom button should be the trailer switch.....when your going to stick the boat on a trailer....hit that button until the drive is all the way in the up position.........then you can move the trailer.......

that's all there is too it....another thing to do with the trim button is if the boat starts to porpoise..bump the trim down until it stops....to get thru rough water..you can trim down to lower the bow....just play with it under way and you'll see what happens....

Sp :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:04 AM   #3
Ensign

They are on the sides of the throttle lever. One on each side. The one closest to the right side when your at the helm is the one I use to raise and lower the outdrive when I am going in/out of the water. The other one raises the outdrive just like the other but wont lower it. The one on the left is titled "trim" but there are no what I would call trim tabs and it raises the outdrive in the same manner as the other switch. just doesnt make sense why there is 2 that do the same thing.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Admiral

well..one should be the trailer button..the other should just move the drive half way up and down....so..the trailer one should just pull it up to the stowed position....

SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #5

There should be 2 buttons per outdrive. As Seapuppy was saying, one is for outdrive Trim and one is for Trailer. The sets of buttons which allow both up and down movement are the outdrive Trim. This has a sensor limitor and won't allow you to raise the outdrive up(up = OUT; Down = IN) beyond a certain point. This is the only set of buttons you use while underway. the trim limiter acts as a safety mechanism and won't let you bring the drive OUT beyond a certain point. You wouldn't want to raise the drive out of the water while underway.

The single button which ONLY raises the outdrive is the Trailer button. This bypasses the trim sensor and lets you raise the drive all the way up. This would be used if trailering the boat, or if achored in shallow water. I would NEVER run the drive beyond the Trim limit as this could put undo pressure on the internal components. If I'm in shallow water, and have my drive up all the way with the trailer, i'll lower the drive all the way down, then raise it to the limit with the trim up button before starting and running. then when I get to deeper water, i'll lower the drive before advancing the throttle beyond headway speed. then trim up after I come on plane (again, along the lines of what SP was saying).

There is no Down trim limiter (beyond the physical limitation of the range of the drive), so when the trailer button is used
to raise the drive beyond the trim limiter, the Down trim button will lower it all the way.

With the engine stopped, you should be able to use the trim UP button to raise the drive up until you hear it stop. Go back and look at the drive. Then hit the trailer button and you will hear it continue to rise beyond the point where it stopped when using the trim up button. Now go look at it again and notice the difference. Then use the trim down button to bring it all the way back down again.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Ensign

Makes sense. This is the first site I have ever heard the button referred to as the "trailer" button. I think peraps my trim button may be going bad since it doesnt lower at all.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #7

Mine actually says TRAILER on the button.

For no Down, check the following:

Bad connection in the switch

Bad Solenoid

Electric Connections on Solenoid and trim pump
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Ensign

Thanks guys! We have had our Maxum for 20 years and always thought those buttons did the same thing.

Lori is offline   Reply With Quote