Old 01-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

Default New Dinghy! New Motor?

No new posts in two days, so I'm firing one up.

We bought a new Dinghy. We had a West Marine/Zodiac RU-260 circa 2000 model. We were amazed to get a PVC dingy to last that many years. However, she was finally delaminating to the point of flooding several gallons overnight.

We ended up getting another 'Roll-up', since it works best for us. We have a 2800, so there isn't a lot of options for the dinghy. We inflate it on the foredeck and launch/retrieve over the side. We store it rolled up on the v berth (cabin sole when underway) and pass it back and forth through the forward hatch. You can really only do this with the roll-up models.

The direct replacement was the Zodiac C260

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...295&id=2164463

A solid seat rather than an inflatable thwart. 18" tubes rather than the smaller 14" tubes in the older boat. (The admiral is hoping for a dryer ride). fastening points for a bow bag. the slat floor is no longer 6 3" slats spaced every 8-10 inches. Now the floor slats are very wide and connect to act like an articulating, semi-solid floor. We're hoping this is more stable underfoot. Otherwise the same length and width.

We use a Honda 2HP on the old dinghy, which recommended a 2 with a max of 3hp. The new dinghy recommends a 4hp (with a max. 4HP).

So now we're deciding whether to replace the 10+ yr old rock solid Honda 2HP for a new 3.5 or 4 hp.

The old Honda is only 29lbs, a new 3.5hp will range around 41lbs, a new 4hp will be 59lbs. Trying to decide whether to double the weight for the OB and whether it's worth it.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
Admiral

If it's rock solid keep it until it shows signs of needing to be replaced.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Admiral

Shrew..... I am curious if you have considered using a Lp fuel for that small of an outboard. I think defender has them. Price wise they are comparable. The brand name escapes me but Ship Shape TV has had them on.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
Captain

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Use the old one until its done. I'm a big fan of Honda small engines. It might last forever.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Shrew..... I am curious if you have considered using a Lp fuel for that small of an outboard.
Yes, we've been looking at the Lehr as well. The Admiral has been pushing hard for the Lehr. They only offer a 2.5 HP and a 5HP. While I love the weight of the 5HP @ 48lbs (10lbs less than most comparable 4-5HP), it's also $550 more expensive than a 4HP Tohatsu, and around $300-$320 more than a comparable 4HP from Merc, Evinrude or yahama. (Honda also only offers a 2.3 and 5HP which requires an external gas tank as well).
Old 01-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #6

I should also point out, one of the reasons weight is a concern is on my boat, the transom door is on the far port side. The swim ladder is mounted on top of the swim platform to far Stbd. So I mount the outboard off the rail across the transom on the far starboard side so it's out of the way (except for fueling when it is decidly IN the way). My water tank is all the way outboard on the starboard side as well. The midcabin beamto with our heads on the starboard side. Too much weight to Stbd and your head is lower than your feet while you sleep with a stbd list. Of course we could use cooler and the portable genny for ballast.

Couple this with a desire to have a dinghy that isn't a full displacement pig. hence the challenges.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Admiral

Add more beer to the cooler
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Commander

Shrew

I think we have the same boat.(2800scr)
I have a 6.5hp Johnson 2 stroke for my dinghy.
The 6.5 allows us to move a bit faster(maybe 5mph)
I store it when not in use on the holding tank.
It straps down very solid there and favors the starboard side with weight, which is also needed on our boat.
It is a bit of a pain to get out but not terrible.

If you have any place where an extended trip on your dinghy might be required, I'd opt for the larger motor and deal with the weight.

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote