Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default New CO2 Detector

Hey all,

I hope everyone is doing well and I'll take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy and Prosperous New Year! I hope it’s full of many hours of fun and safe boating. :-)

Talking about safe, my Maxum 2900 is a 2001 model and I've noticed that my CO2 detector chirps now and then for no apparent reason. Sometimes engine on, sometimes before the engine or genny has been started. Since it’s such an important piece of kit, I'd like to get it changed out before the season starts again in the spring. Question is, do I need to replace it with a marine specific version or will any 12v work? I'd like to get one that's hard wired and has a 9v battery backup.

Let me know what you think or if you have a specific suggestions.

Thanks all.

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Admiral

I'd stick with a marine specific version for corrosion control......they do come with batt. backups...a bit pricy but they are available.....
happy holidays to all....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Admiral

Happy Holidays back at you!

That is a good question which I would be interested to know....are there a marine CO2 detectors? Don't know......

I would think that the battery powered detector would be less expensive but still very reliable. Second thought having one to be direct wired up to your engine batteries might be less of a worry because of the battery issue.....flip a coin on that one. A marine CO2 detector $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :-)

This might be under the K.I.S.S. theory.....go to Wal-mart and buy a reasonable priced CO2 detector and your problem is taken care of....IMHO

Hope others will chime in here......

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Captain

1. do you have the original unit in the boat for 2001? the 12v unit has a life of 5 years and is dated on the back.
2. the 2001 unit draws 400 ma, when a new 12v one draws 40ma due to modern curcuit board, but also is dated for 5 year life.
3. are you using a battery one that you would use in your house? those are to sensitve for something with an engine and wind.
4. it should be mounted in the rear berth, 12 for any window per the instruction.
5. me think's your unit has expired....buy a new one for $68 bucks.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Admiral

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/c...nmonoxide.html

Here is a page from BoatUS........I google Marine CO2 detector and was amazed at how many are out there. Amazon has a very good selection.

I learned something today.

Roger
Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

It's definitely an original and at the moment is hard wired and mounted in the forward cabin area. There's no battery backup and since I'm going to replace it anyway, I'd just as soon have it hardwired and change a battery twice a season too. Just as I do with the smoke detectors at home. If I lost AC/DC power for any reason, I'd still have the little 9v left. There's a lot to be said for redundancy...

You're right though Roger, now I have to just choose one from the hundreds available. God help me, it'll tale till next spring to pick!
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Commander

Not sure if you need flush mount or surface mount and what kinda hole you have for the old one. May want to check out MTI for this. I just recently replaced the LP Gas detector on my Rv and they had a model that was an exact fit for the old CCI Controls unit that had failed (CCI has gone out of business). They also seem to be the brand of choice for the newer RV I keep seeing. They do offer a Marine grade CO2 detector but does not seem to be 9v batt. backup like you want.

http://www.mtiindustries.com/ms1.htm
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
Admiral

Amazon .com has those CO2 detectors......$60.00 or so
Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

My boat doesn't have a cabin, so no CO detector (not a CO2) Be sure you are looking at the right thing - both are available, but CO2 is not poisonous, CO is. A marine vs normal unit should detect at the same levels, it doesn't matter where you are for what level toxicity begins, levels as low as 10ppm can have long term effects, if there is long exposures. CO detector are only good for up to 7 years max!, % is the excepeted norm, 3 is not terribly uncommon. Please, everyone, check yours and ensure they are good working order, and current. And since we're on the rough topic Smoke detectors are only good for up to ten years, and checking them by only using the button is great, but even better is to pick up some non toxic, canned smoke to use - it is a better check as it then also tests the sensors in the unit.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Lt. JG

My boat did not come with a CO detector so I had one installed this summer. I purchased mine from West Marine for $79 (if I remember correctly). You need a marine unit because home units are not designed for the pounding they receive from a boat underway. Be safe and get the correct one. It's to important not to.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

I too have a 2001 model year 2900 SCR, Cymru... and I've got two of those units installed inside the cabin. One is just above the closet/sink area and the other is in the mid-cabin. The mid-cabin unit is so sensitive it beeped constantly while underway when the canvas is up... so I installed a "cut-off switch" of sorts on it. Then, this Spring I realized the front-mounted unit was never wired when I had to move it to mount a new TV-DVD combo I installed! So I put a cut-off switch on IT, too. When all was said and done, I figured out that front unit was completely defective... as the L.E.D. never indicated like it said it should based on the instruction manual. To think I had this unit innoperable for the past five seasons is scary... as I'm scared to death of carbon monoxide poisoning. Seems we always read about a whole family dying at least once a season in their camper or similar close-quarters here in the Pacific NW. In the Spring when it's cold, we button up Endless Summer tight at night to keep the cold out, so I've GOT to have a working CO Detector.

I didn't realize they had a seven year life, so kudos to you vffb507 for reporting that. I'd say it's time to invest $150 (+/-) in replacing BOTH of them.