Old 08-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New 2800 owner here.

Happened across this site on a Google search and thought I'd go ahead and register and say hello to everyone. My wife and I just purchased a 2000 2800 SCR about week or so ago and have been putting things off to enjoy it since then . We mainly boat around the Chespeake Bay and this is our first boat so we're pretty excited. Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself since I've been lingering around the boards for about a week or so already. Oh and I do have one question if someone has the time. We're stumped on how to put the screens in the side windows, we're almost to the point of glueing them in, lol. If anyone has some input we'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :hello:

SaltyDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #2

Default Re: New 2800 owner here.

Great boat, congrats. This isn't as easy as it looks. There should be a slot in the rubber gasket inside the porthole. The screens should slide into that slot. I do mine while the boat is onland because it's easy to drop a screen in the process.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Admiral

congrats on the boat.....welcome to the zoo......hope to see you posting here more...

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Congrats SD.

Wife and I also recently purchased a boat; 2004 2400 SC3 and we boat in the middle bay as well - primarly in and around the South River. It's also our first boat and, like you two, have been neglecting all else in favor of going boating.

Where are you two out of?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Lt. JG

We just bought a 1998 2800 last weekend I will look at the screens tonight and get back to you. Congats!!!
kenpo262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Congrats SD.

Wife and I also recently purchased a boat; 2004 2400 SC3 and we boat in the middle bay as well - primarly in and around the South River. It's also our first boat and, like you two, have been neglecting all else in favor of going boating.

Where are you two out of?

Dan

Congrats! Pretty exciting huh?
We're a bit further up the bay on the Patapsco. We're looking forward to checking out Hart-Miller and Dobbin Island soon. You guys get out to either of those yet?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpo262
We just bought a 1998 2800 last weekend I will look at the screens tonight and get back to you. Congats!!!

Thanks and congrats to you also! Nice to see some other new owners here! Thanks so much for the help with the screens!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew
Great boat, congrats. This isn't as easy as it looks. There should be a slot in the rubber gasket inside the porthole. The screens should slide into that slot. I do mine while the boat is onland because it's easy to drop a screen in the process.

I had a feeling that someone was going to say this.... lol. I've had a couple close calls with dropping them in the water now. Maybe I should wait I guess. I'll have to give a good look for the slot though. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
congrats on the boat.....welcome to the zoo......hope to see you posting here more...

SP :hello:
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDogg
We're a bit further up the bay on the Patapsco. We're looking forward to checking out Hart-Miller and Dobbin Island soon. You guys get out to either of those yet?
Yeah, we're having a blast with it.

No, not only have we not been to either of those - I've not actually heard of them either. The farthest up the bay we've been is to the Bay Bridge, and the farthest down bay was to the West River. How far past the BB are Hart-Miller and Dobbin Island?

I've been a little reluctant/nervous to head too far out since I'm still getting to know the boat and it doesn't have any electronics on it yet, though I'm in the process of getting a GPS and VHF installed - hopefully this week. I'll be way more comfortable once I'm wired.

Dan
Old 08-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, we're having a blast with it.

No, not only have we not been to either of those - I've not actually heard of them either. The farthest up the bay we've been is to the Bay Bridge, and the farthest down bay was to the West River. How far past the BB are Hart-Miller and Dobbin Island?

I've been a little reluctant/nervous to head too far out since I'm still getting to know the boat and it doesn't have any electronics on it yet, though I'm in the process of getting a GPS and VHF installed - hopefully this week. I'll be way more comfortable once I'm wired.

Dan

I hear ya on that one, I'm generally a little reluctant even with GPS and the VHF. They do help though. Hart might be a bit of a stretch for you depending on much fuel you mind burning but is supposed to be a great spot. I've heard it's nothing to find a couple hundred boats out there hanging out and carrying on and they have a couple food barges that go around also. Last I read it's about 3000 ft. of sandy beach with campgrounds here and there. Dobbins is off of the Magothy and not very far from the Bay Bridge. I've been there in the past but not too recently. Really popular spot for just dropping anchor and hanging out, swimming and that sorta thing. I was thinking that we might venture out there sometime soon and drop anchor for the night depending on the weather. We've yet to spend the night on ours and can't wait to get that experience.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
I hear ya on that one, I'm generally a little reluctant even with GPS and the VHF. They do help though. Hart might be a bit of a stretch for you depending on much fuel you mind burning but is supposed to be a great spot. I've heard it's nothing to find a couple hundred boats out there hanging out and carrying on and they have a couple food barges that go around also. Last I read it's about 3000 ft. of sandy beach with campgrounds here and there. Dobbins is off of the Magothy and not very far from the Bay Bridge. I've been there in the past but not too recently. Really popular spot for just dropping anchor and hanging out, swimming and that sorta thing. I was thinking that we might venture out there sometime soon and drop anchor for the night depending on the weather. We've yet to spend the night on ours and can't wait to get that experience.
Mind burning fuel? Not in the least. Well, at least not at this time. LOL.

We're still learing the area, making friends, trying hard to find the "good spots", and trying to not run into things. We, too, are planning to spend a night on the boat sometime soon but I suspect we'll have to rough it a bit more than your two since our SC3 isn't as extensively equipped as your boat. Regardless, a bit of planning, and tying onto YOUR boat, should do the trick. LOL Crap, that reminds me - I need to get a second battery before dropping anchor for the night.

Good thing it's only money, 'eh?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Mind burning fuel? Not in the least. Well, at least not at this time. LOL.

We're still learing the area, making friends, trying hard to find the "good spots", and trying to not run into things. We, too, are planning to spend a night on the boat sometime soon but I suspect we'll have to rough it a bit more than your two since our SC3 isn't as extensively equipped as your boat. Regardless, a bit of planning, and tying onto YOUR boat, should do the trick. LOL Crap, that reminds me - I need to get a second battery before dropping anchor for the night.

Good thing it's only money, 'eh?
Lol, break out another thousand right? I think you guys will like Dobbin on a nice day. Definitely check it out when you have the chance. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for ya when I'm over there next. Maybe we can raft up for a while or something. I think Dobbin is defnitely gonna be our first night out spot as it's pretty protected. Too bad it will be another couple weekends before we can get out since we've got so much planned right now. If you hear of any other good spots please let me know.