Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Need Your Advice - Just purchased a 1990 2700 SCR

Hello everybody. This is a great forum. I happened to find it a few days ago when I was doing research on Maxum boats. I've just joined this Maxum Owners Club - looks excellent.

I just bought (but not taken possession or fully paid) a 1990 2700 SCR conditionally upon survey, compression test and satisfactory sea trial. I am doing these tests on Tuesday next week, so any help with my questions below would be appreciated.

1. I've read in this forum that compression should be about 150psi +/- 15psi, does this hold true for my model and year?

2. The boat seems to be in fine shape, motor is completely refurbished 7.4litre Merc, it appears clean as a whistle, anything to consider with this?

3. This is a freshwater boat, hull looks ok as it sits out of water. No cracks that I could see, fairly clean below water line, I guess surveyor will look it over more closely. Anything in particular to look for to find problems with the hull, are there weaker places than others with this hull?

4. I am planning to get a surveyor to look at the boat on Tuesday. Are there any particular areas of the survey that I should pay really close attention to, such as plumbing, engine, hull, electrical or other areas that these model year boats are known to have deficiencies? ie- are there common problem areas for these models?

5. I did not see an hour gauge, should there be one on the dash panel or below in the engine compartment?

6. What should I be doing and looking for when I do the water test. I don't have trim tabs on my current bow rider, how should I test these or not be too worried about them?

7. Does the fridge run directly off shore power or does it always operate off the battery? Or does the shore power just charge the batteries, sorry, I'm a real newbie when it comes to boats with toilets, electricity and running water!

8. Will the surveyer test the toilet and water systems during the survey?

I've owned a 19 foot bowrider for about 5 years and have finally taken the plung for a larger boat. My wife is very pleased with the conditoin of the boat, it's exceptionally clean, looks original everywhere except motor, seats and tops, so I am happy too. Everything seems to function properly, but it's on dry land so far.

I look forward to many years of fun family boating with this new boat.

Any other suggestions or offers of advice would be welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,
Mark

Old 08-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Hello Mark and welcome your surveyor should cover most of the points youve brought up,definately get the engine checked as this could be your biggest cost if things go wrong,check all the electrical switches work as youve got 18yr old wiring on board, the fridge runs off 110v and 12v it should automatically switch to 12v when you disconnect the shore power,the trim tabs can be checked when out of water by pressing the switches,some of the other guys will come along and advise on other areas,good luck on your almost purchase.

ash

Old 08-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by zt260
Hello Mark and welcome your surveyor should cover most of the points youve brought up,definately get the engine checked as this could be your biggest cost if things go wrong,check all the electrical switches work as youve got 18yr old wiring on board, the fridge runs off 110v and 12v it should automatically switch to 12v when you disconnect the shore power,the trim tabs can be checked when out of water by pressing the switches,some of the other guys will come along and advise on other areas,good luck on your almost purchase.

ash
Hi Ash, Thanks for the speedy response and comments. I will go and check the trim tabs today, while it's still out of the water, good advice.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Admiral

Mark,
Welcome to the zoo..I also own a 2k model 2700scr...although we have the 6.2ltr engine and b3 drive...it's an awesome boat...we just got back from a great weekend in the pacnorwest......
other than the survey on the engine...and drive...the hull is going to be the one to check also..the surveyor should check the hull by tapping and listening for a thud instead of a sharp crack type sound...
the engine should have consistant compression all over ...15lbs/si is common....anything lower ...you have a choice of either walking away or having the owner repair the engine...
make sure your surveyor does a compression check on the outdrive too...
check all zincs and have them replaced...
as stated the fridge works either 12vdc or 120 ac....it should operate on either...
anyother questions feel free to ask....we're all about spending your money!!..tell us a bit about where your going to boat...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:55 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
Mark,
Welcome to the zoo..I also own a 2k model 2700scr...although we have the 6.2ltr engine and b3 drive...it's an awesome boat...we just got back from a great weekend in the pacnorwest......
other than the survey on the engine...and drive...the hull is going to be the one to check also..the surveyor should check the hull by tapping and listening for a thud instead of a sharp crack type sound...
the engine should have consistant compression all over ...15lbs/si is common....anything lower ...you have a choice of either walking away or having the owner repair the engine...
make sure your surveyor does a compression check on the outdrive too...
check all zincs and have them replaced...
as stated the fridge works either 12vdc or 120 ac....it should operate on either...
anyother questions feel free to ask....we're all about spending your money!!..tell us a bit about where your going to boat...

SP
Hello Seapuppy,

Thanks for your kind comments and suggestions. I've taken your suggestions plus as much as I could read about these boats and applied them as much as I could during the survey and after. The people I purchased the boat through are repairing all the items that were found in the survey, plus a few other items. This was the main reason I purchased the boat, not a warranty, but at least an implied warranty and goodwill on the part of the seller.

We've taken the boat out 5 times in the last 9 days, a couple of short trips after 4 or 5 hours of cleaning and a few longer trips. We are keeping the boat in Port Credit for the balance of the season and most likely next season too. We took it to Centre Island twice and once to Bronte for some nice cruising during the days last week and weekend.

We are planning on our first overnighter this Wednesday at Port Credit, just to test everything and make sure we have the necessary items onboard for an overnighter. Then we plan a trip across Lake Ontario to Port Dalhousie, should be fun.

We are looking forward to many hours on our new boat and creating more fond memories.

Thanks again and I will keep looking at this board,
Mark
Old 08-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
Ensign

Another quick question. I browsed to the Maxum site, but the oldest online parts catolog was for a 1993 and I own a 1990, any ideas on where I could download a 1990 2700 SCR parts catalog and owners manual? I have the short version that came with the boat, but it's more about safety and general issues. I would love to be able to read about all the systems and parts to see how to repair and remove items on the boat for maintenance.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 08-19-2008, 04:25 AM   #7
Admiral

Mark,
you can contact US Marine in arlington wa...you need the hin number on the swim step......you can get the number online ..look up maxumboats.com...call them and they can send you the manuals...

enjoy the new to you boat...post some pic's here and post often....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Mark,
you can contact US Marine in arlington wa...you need the hin number on the swim step......you can get the number online ..look up maxumboats.com...call them and they can send you the manuals...

enjoy the new to you boat...post some pic's here and post often....

SP
Hi Seapuppy,

I will give this a try, thanks for the advice,
Mark
Old 08-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
Admiral

mark..if you can't find the number let me know...i think I have it somewhere...

Sp
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
mark..if you can't find the number let me know...i think I have it somewhere...

Sp
Hi SeaPuppy,

I just scoured their website again at this page and others http://www.maxumcustomercare.com/manuals_index.html and could not find any contact information, they always want us to contact a dealer.

I would love to find a proper parts catalog so I could figure things out. As an example, one of my fluorescent lights is out in the front sleeping area. So how do I remove the plastic cover over the fluorescent lights in the galley area without breaking the lens. It goes from port to starboard, probably 8ft long and I don't want to break it as I remove or re-install it.

Thanks again for any help,
Mark
Old 08-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
Admiral

ok...try 360-435-5571 and tell the receptionist your in need of manuals...

Sp
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
ok...try 360-435-5571 and tell the receptionist your in need of manuals...

Sp
Hi SeaPuppy,

Incredible, I called the number, spoke to an exceptionally friendly man and he took down my name and address and HIN and said he would send it out to me! I cannot believe it, I mean it, what incredible service.

On top of that, I could not have done this without your support SeaPuppy, I really appreciate it and am so looking forward to receiving this manual, it will be very helpful.

I have about 123 photos of our boat and have uploaded to my website and may create a slide show of some of the photos. I don't think it's necessary for everyone to see every inch of our boat, but some shots from different angles are always revealing. Again, thanks to the internet, I've scoured many areas for 1990 2700 SCR's and found many photos, some good and some terrible, but have saved them for pointers, to see what others have done with the same model boat and to get ideas for the tops and covers and such, just so much fun. The only sad thing is that hockey is starting soon for my son and we won't be boating too much come September.... arghhhhhhhh...

After a few more years with this boat, maybe I'll be able to help someone else in need of assistance.

Thank you again for your 'above and beyond' assistance and I will surely post more pics and keep you current with our trials, tribulations and fun on our boat!

Thanks,
Mark

Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
Admiral

glad I could help :wink: ....keep coming here to ask questions...that's what this place is for....to help out and talk about our boats....

Sp

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang