Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Need some info fast!! :)

I am looking at a 2002 maxum 2300 SC in great condition. Does anybody know what the transom and stringers are made of??? Need to know! And anything else. Looking at it tomorrow!! Please help. Thanks!!

ResQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Admiral

Unhappy

Most are laminated hard wood......why is this important?

Have you checked engine oil, compression check, out drive fluid for water and electrical system. Then gone for a test drive?

Get a surveyor to look this boat over if you don't know this stuff. It is worth the money!

Good luck

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks! Yea, I had a previous boat that I had to sell due to transom problems. I only owned the boat for 5 months. This boat is at a dealership and pretty good condition. The motor has 290 hours on it and new manifolds ect... They did a tune up and compression was 170's across the board. They said all equipment works great and potty has never been used. I am heading tomorrow to check it out, go through everything and take it for a test drive. There are zero stress cracks or dings in the gel coat. Not even on the keel. Fresh bottom paint. I am ok with wood aslong as it is sealed tight, no rot and fiberglassed in well. I havent found anything online about rot issues in these and everything I find is nothing but great reviews. My last boat was a early 90's bayliner and I lost sleep over it once I found the rot and I am making certain I do not on my next!! Do these come standard with mercruiser I/O's in 220 hp? Any issues? Its a 2002 maxum 2300 sc.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Admiral

Res first ....welcome to the website.....sounds like you have taken the right steps. I have had a 1988 2150 and 1993 2650 bayliner. Best darn boats I have owned.

Not sure what is standard engine is. Make sure you got a v8 in that.

Roger
Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Definately has the V8. Its a 220 hp mercruiser alpha 1. I know nothing about that motor reputation as I have only dealt with outboards Thanks for the welcome! Hopefully I can join in on the discussions Any info that could help me make a decision on this boat would be appreciated!! Good and bad!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
Admiral

I had a '97 2300 sc and it was one of the best cuddies I've owned. It had the 7.4L 320 HP with the B3 and would jump out of the hole and cruise real well.

Take a couple buddies with you for the sea trial to simulate the gear you will have on the boat in the future.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
Lt. JG

The dealer just sent me some pics. The motor is very clean and its the 5.7 250 hp. He said he was just out in it with 5 other mechanics just on a lunch cruise and it hit 45 and cruised 30 mph. He said they werent small lol.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Thats really good to hear. I have yet to hear any real negatives about it, which is comforting, whereas my trophy was bashed up one side and down the other lol.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
Admiral

Research what WOT should be and make sure it gets there ... I'd question him taking 5 mech out for lunch .. 6 people on a boat that size with that power package hitting 45mph...... I'm skeptical.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #10
Lt. JG

Will do! I know with my Trophy, it had a 175 on it and it didnt matter how many people or gear i had, it would do 45 mph wot. It was wierd. Ill see. Its just going to be my dad, me and the guy. Typical load with me is about 4-5 people and just minimal gear.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
Lt. JG

From what I gather WOT on that motor is around 4800. You know of anything different?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Lt. Commander

have the same size boat (2400 scr) but powered by the 6 cil vortec (240 bhp)
hits about 38 with 4 grown-ups on board but am cirtain i have a bigger smile on my face when filling up the tank after a days boating.
at the end you don't use WOT that much. i use it about 95 % of the time in cruising mode
there's a difference between a days boating and a days boating having a bite and a drink for the same amount of money
but then again. i'm 50+ and in my country we have speeding limits
rens
rens914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Res, the transom and stringers are wood. Transom is multiple layers of marine plywood - close to 2 inches thick, then encased in fiberglass. The whole mess approaches 2.5 inches thick. The stringers are solid wood covered with fiberglass. If you have any doubts have the boat checked by someone that has a moisture meter. If the boat has been kept mostly on a trailer, instead of in the water, it's likely there aren't any moisture issues.

That boat with that power package should top out right around 45 ish. My slightly larger 2004 2400SC3 with the 300 HP 350 MAG and B3 drive will top out around 50 with 3 or 4 skinnies aboard. 45 with all those guys seems a little generous but not inconceivable.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Lt. JG

I spoke with a surveyor and she is VERY knowledgable! She gave me a checklist of things to look for and take pics of and if today goes well, then she will come out this next week and spend a day going over everything. I sent her some pictures and such and am awaiting to hear back about her thoughts on those alone. Just proves that the 350$ for a survey is well worth the money!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Lt. JG

Do these boats have any rot issues or anything I should pay special attention to? (advise from people who own them)
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Any boat with wood in it has potential rot/moisture issues, Res, so no Maxum (or any other) are immune. Again though, if it has been a trailer boat all its life chances of moisture related issues are fewer. My '04, trailer kept, has zero moisture issues.

Have a look at where the stringers join to the transom. Look for cracks and/or discoloration at those joints. If the owner will allow you to drill a small hole into the top of a stringer close to the transom do that. The drill bit should come out dry, as should the wood itself (the hole can then be filled with some 4200/5200.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #17
Lt. JG

Looked at the boat today. It looks fantastic. Very very clean. Motor runs great but didnt sea trial it due to weather and the filthy river. I have a marine surveyor looking at it tomorrow. We'll see what he says! I went over it top to bottom. No stress cracks or chips in the gel coat. Not even on the bottom. Bilge is clean and spacious. Motor looks clean. Outdrive looks like it was moored for a while as it has corrsion, but it looks to be cosmetic only. The surveyor is going to look into the motor and outdrive quite a bit more extensively. I'll keep you posted Hoping for some good news!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #18
Admiral

Most surveyors will have a moisture meter and give you a % reading,. They can get readings in the engine area stringers. They are companys also that can dry stringers out by some process if the moisture level is high. About $2000.00. the surveyor should know about this process.

Roger
Old 12-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #19
Lt. JG

It felt pretty darn dry in there and sealed tight. We'll see. He said he was going to hit it with the moisture meter and such. Said it would take about 5ish hours to go through it.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
Commander

Hi Res,

Where are you located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQ View Post
It felt pretty darn dry in there and sealed tight. We'll see. He said he was going to hit it with the moisture meter and such. Said it would take about 5ish hours to go through it.

rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote