Old 10-14-2017, 05:06 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Need opinions

Hi everyone
Wife and I are currently looking at a new to us boat we currently own a 92 Sr 1900 with the 3 liter she is in fantastic shape and shows it, will do 65 kilometers an hour on decent water. We have two kids and will eventually add a third so I've decided to look for a bigger boat and today I think I have found that boat it is a 96 Sr 2300 with the 5.7 it too appears to be in nice shape but has one problem it burns oil. I'm assuming that is one of the three problems rings valve seals or intake gasket. Now this does not completely scare me off the boat because it may be fixable but I do also have and 85 305 ho sitting on a stand in the garage now I know I have to change fuel, Electronics and the cooling systems to run the automotive motor as well as Frost plugs and maybe head gaskets
We like the 2300 due to its size and the options it has that ours does not.
He wants Seven Grand for boat and trailer but I have been talking to him and he "seems" interested and a straight-up trade for mine . I would appreciate opinions from people on this and opinions from people that have done the engine swap
Thank u.

Also forgive me if some of this does not make sense I had a full and proper post all typed out and went to post it and nothing showed up when i posted so I got annoyed and used voice text for this one LOL

Please message me with any questions or opinions

Dutch420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
Admiral

See if the seller will let you perform a compression test before buying it, this will tell you what cylinders have issues. It may also show a bigger problem if the compression is really low.

The 305 will bolt right in but the freeze plugs, head gaskets and cam are unique to marine applications. Also as you said the marine parts need to be swapped over, carb, ignition, starter, alternator, ...

While I have never done an auto to marine swap I have built many auto and marine engines and replaced marine with marine.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote