Old 02-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Need help with changing steering system

My boat has two kad44 volvo penta deisel engines which leave no room for working in the engine compartment. Now i want to replace my steering system to seastar hydraulic one' and it's very dificult to reach the place in order to install the hydraulic cylinder. Can anyone advice me how to ?

Thanks

CAPTAIN HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #2

Welcome Aboard Captain Hook!!!

That model doesn't have power steering on it?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Ensign

Thank's for your reply
yes it has a power steering like in a car. The power steering gets hydraulic pressure from the pump connected to one of the engines by a pulley. If, from any reason, i have to shut down the engine (over heating) then i got no steering to go back to the marina with the other engine. That's why i need an independent steering system.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Admiral

What model do you have? Can you post a picture of the engine compartment?

Other than needing to force you way to the back i doubt if any tricks exist, midget ;-)

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #5

You'd be better off with a towing package. Even if you could steer, it's going to be rough on one engine.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Admiral

I agree with shrew on this. Your looking at a lot and $'s of work for something that doesn't happen too often.

Mike
Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

I got single engine maxum 2500 and recently did some work on steering system. I know you got much less room in engine compartment but removing manifolds and risers gave me really good access to steering rack.
forbes210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Ensign

Thak you guys. I don't agree with shrew. There is no problem steering back with one engine 270 hp but there is a big problem with no steering. Most of us, Israeli power boaters replace the original steering system with an hydraulic independent one.

Ron
Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Ensign

it seems to me that you got a mercruser in your boat. on mine there are two volvopentas they are different. anyway my mechanic said that he'll try to get there and do the job.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN HOOK View Post
Thak you guys. I don't agree with shrew. There is no problem steering back with one engine 270 hp but there is a big problem with no steering. Most of us, Israeli power boaters replace the original steering system with an hydraulic independent one.

Ron
Ron being that you are overseas you may options that we don't have here in the states regarding aftermarket systems. None the less the volvo systems that I know of are similar to the mercruiser ones and i am not aware of issues that warrent replacements. None the less this is your option.

BTY: you never told us what boat model you have so we are shooting in the dark. All I got is you have twin volvos. 30ft, 35ft, 41ft??? I/O's inboards???

Mike
Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN HOOK View Post

Ron
I don't see a problem with that. We're all fully entitled to our opinions. Like all of us, I'm just some anonymous guy on the internet. Adn I agree with mmwjr, regional factors can come into play in many cases. So it becomes difficult to provide a valid opinion when we don't have all the variables. Now I know some will say "Just focus on the question at hand". My reply is, 'I don't want to advise someone on the best way to make a square wheel'.

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Ensign

hi Mike,
you are right of course. My boat is a 31' Maxum model 2002 equiped with 2 KAD44 VOLVOPENTA. The steering system is a" power steering" meaning cables and hydraulic pressure from the Stb. engine. The problem with this system is that it's not accurate, it "plays" and worst of all, if for any reason I have to shut down the Stb. engine I get stuck at sea because the is no more hydraulic pressure and a result no steering, so I can't benefit the other engine. This is an absurd !! The builders of the boat didn't think bit of this at the time of planning the boat or didn't give a dam of their customers/ the installed the steering system (ram & piston) behind the engine so you can't reach it with your hand nither to replace it nor to give it a service properly.

Ron
Old 03-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
Admiral

Hi Ron,
Maxum like all other boat builders buy the engine systems from either mercruiser or volvo and these engine manufactures lay these systems out cluding only 1 engine powering the steering. I agree I wish boat builders designed for better access my 2400 SCR is realy hard to get at theinner transom and I am 6' 3".

Regarding the play there should be none even with this system. The boat is 12 years old and I suspect some parts are a little worn such as the sterring swivel shaft, this connects the gimbal ring to the steering lever. From the outside of the boat try moving 1 outdrive side to side, the other should move with it and have no delay in responding. Then do the same for he other. Any delay or slop says parts are worn and need to be replaced.

Mike