Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default My Local Yacht Club is Flooded Out!

This is my local marina, Regina Beach Yacht Club. The marina has 130 slips. The gas jockey shack is shown below. The whole breakwater is in the process of flooding over in an epic flood event. Luckily there are no boats there yet as they where all pulled for the winter. I have many boating friends who will not have access to their slips, possibly until mid summer. They have a few dozen moorings outside the marina, but those are all taken. I use the RBYC for services, but because I am on the other side of the lake I moor my Maxum elsewhere. We have a super short boating season up here, so this is not cool.

source:http://www.rbyc.ca/

ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

Wow my sympathies to all involved. I hope there aren't too many families displaced from there homes.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

What a shame. Glad to hear that all the boats are ok (were pulled) and that your mooring is elsewhere. Hope that the RBYC gets back to "normal" soon enough not to have much of an impact on the boating season. Also, hope that no homes were lost due to flooding. Good luck.
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

What a major-league pisser...
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Admiral

wow....and I thought someone left the window open in the head!!....really glad that it's just the docks and nobody's boat......
sad to see...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

I also have a boathouse that normally houses my SeaRay bowrider. Luckily it is in the shop right now. I have one of the highest boathouses on the lake and it is still high and dry, but i am expecting 5 inches of water to flood it and we could get 3 foot waves on top of that. I have no idea what kind of damage that might do. My colleague at work just had his engine flooded on his SeaRay while it was in his boathouse.

I will post pictures if it gets interesting. So far it is only boathouses and gazebos flooded on our lake but in the next lake over people have been evacuated and there is a lot of damage. The Mounties who patrol our lakes up here have asked boaters not to travel at wake speeds for fear the waves will overtop sandbag dikes. If we get a big wind, there will be trouble.

These folks at the next lake downstream from us worked their buTts off to build this dike, but I have heard it was overtopped and the water is still rising.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Admiral

wow...that's amazing...have they thought of opening the dam doors on the dams????.....are they releasing water down stream???

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

The dams to the lakes are all wide open but they are not big high dams, more like control weirs. These are natural lakes, not reservoirs. The river channel is flooded and can take no more water. One thing I am really concerned about is floating debris. There are big timbers, dock sections, railway ties and all manner of things bobbing about as the lake washes things off the shore. I normally love to cruise at night because it is genreally calm, but this spring I will be thinking twice.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Flooding continues. The photo below show the breakwater at the RBYC marina is submerged. After this photo was taken there were 50 mph gusts blowing big waves that I assume damaged some of the floating docks. I could see that with my binoculars from across the lake. Several boat houses have been destroyed. At my place I expect the waves to be hitting the front of my boathouse today. I put some sandbags around the concrete foundations to protect against wave erosion. We are expecting high water for weeks. I can't wait to get my Maxum out to tour the damage around the lake. I know that is morbid but this is a rare and interesting event.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

A friend just sent me this. No breakwater visible at all. This Yacht Club is 100 years old.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Finally got my Maxum launched and moored on my private mooring. This was no small task given that there are no docks, boat launches or marinas open on the lake due to the flooding. Also I thought my mooring was lost, but I found the rope tied to a boulder in 4 feet of water last night. Last year it was on the shore. I was one of the only boats on the whole lake today! Toured the damage. The first pic below is the erosion in front of my place. The guy sitting on the boat iin the half wrecked boathouse is my buddy. He was happy I got launched as he can now use my trailer to save his boat.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
Admiral

oh man...sorry to see so much damage......glad your boat is ok...and hopefully you can stabilize the shore with some rocks or something...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Bad news and good news on the Regina Beach Yacht Club for 2012. The good news is that the water has subsided and the marina is open with limited services including gas. The bad news is that the 100 year old club house was so badly damaged in the 2011 flood that it had to be demolished over the winter. No insurance was available, but the members have agreed to a special assessment to build a bigger and better club house for 2013. For now trailers will be used for basic services.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
Captain

my sympathie for all the people over there

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Wowsers... I sure hope at ends up being only an epic cleanup and not too much lost property overall...
Old 05-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreAcres View Post
No insurance was available, but the members have agreed to a special assessment to build a bigger and better club house for 2013. For now trailers will be used for basic services.
This is common at MANY dockominiums. Either insufficient liability, insufficient comprehensive or both. The first thing I would do at the next meeting is petition the board to obtain proper coverage. IMHO you are now being assessed because the board was essentially asleep at the wheel. If I were an owner, this would be unacceptable.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreAcres View Post
No insurance was available, but the members have agreed to a special assessment to build a bigger and better club house for 2013. For now trailers will be used for basic services.
This is common at MANY dockominiums. Either insufficient liability, insufficient comprehensive or both. The first thing I would do at the next meeting is petition the board to obtain proper coverage. IMHO you are now being assessed because the board was essentially asleep at the wheel. If I were an owner, this would be unacceptable.

If you're married and you and your wife own your own home, you are essentially a 'fractional owner' of your house @ 50% each. Would you under insure your house? Then why accept being underinsured if you're only a %1 fractional owner of property?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
Lt. Commander

Flood insurance is not availalble. If it had been a fire or tornado, no problem. The good news is there is a huge waiting list for slips so there should be enough people willing to pony up the several thousand dollars each for the new clubhouse.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
Ensign

Send a message via ICQ to PetAC Send a message via AIM to PetAC Send a message via Yahoo to PetAC

What a pity man...I feel very sorry to you ....I maybe can help you to slove the problem....What the f#cking flood it is .....We must learn to protect yourself..
Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

Good news. The new Clubhouse is almost finished and should be ready for by the end of May. It even includes a bar finished to shaped match the deck of a Chris Craft, inclusing the exact mahogany. This summer is the 100th anniversary of the Regina Beach Yacht Club.