Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default My boat is leaking!

My '97 Maxum 2400 SCR seems to be leaking, not from the bottom, but from the top. I have water on the, what I would call the shelf, behind the port side seat in the V-berth. It rained yesterday and I went down to the boat lastnight and there was nothing. I went down to the boat this morning and it was wet. It was very dewy this morning and could possibly be caused from dew or is it from the rain and it just took 12hrs to run to this location?

I had noticed this one other time and took the railing pad loose and re-sealed the pad and the bolts. It isn't wet at where the pad fastens to the boat. It does have a little wetness just above the shelf where the water is at, but not all the way up to the top.

If you know how the 2400 SCR is constructed and where water can enter that would be helpful???

I just thought of something. The horn on the port side is broken, could water be enterning the horn and running down the "shelf" and just showing up behind the seat?

tjwieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Admiral

water is really sneaky....it can run along places and finally show up in the wierdest places...process of elimination is part of the process....eliminate the horn next....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Attached is a photo of the area where the leak is I have circled where it is wet. Can the trim piece be removed easily to gain access to the area behind. I looked at the back side of the horn (through the anchor line storage door), and I am thinking if any water came in from there it would go into the anchor line storage area.
Attached Thumbnails
leak.jpg  
Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
Admiral

ok..seems like a simple fix....on the outside there is the rub rail that is attached to the 2 join halves....remove the rub rail from about 4 ft in either direction..may have to go further if that panel doesn't fall out.....if there are some long screws showing..your going to remove those and that panel inside will fall down when the screws are removed....have someone inside to catch it...your going to need that same person to fit it back when you re insert those long screws...
now...gently pry the rubber part out with an awl....don't use a flat bladed screw driver as it will maul the al. railing ....if needed..use a hair dryer to warm the rubber up to allow it to be more plyable...
now remove said screws.....use clear silicone sealant and squirt it into those holes and all of the revits showing...then run a bead down the middle and use your finger to smooth it out...re-insert the screws...along with that panel inside..have your helper replace it into the correct position...
now using the hair dryer and a rubber mallet....work the rubber back into the groove....after it's all in ...take a bead of clear silicone along the top and bottom of the rail....all the way around it....don't need a big bead...just enough to make a bead....smooth it out....done...that leak will never come back....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

If it's that small of a leak and you know the general vicinity....?? I might mask above and below that area and shoot a heavy clear coat over it a few times. That stuff acts as a pretty good sealer. The above will probably be a longer lasting repair but you might start with the clear coat to make sure that's the correct area........ Just a thought
Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Sounds like a simple, but time consuming fix. I was thinking that sidewall trim had to come off.

Thanks for your advise SP

Terry
Old 06-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Hey tjwieseler - How did your fix go?

We just started storing our boat outdoors and after heavy rain we're getting water in about the same location, but on both port and starboard sides. We encountered some pretty rough seas on our return trip this weekend and I was surprised how much water came in.

Jim

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

I haven't started the fix as of yet. I need to pull it out of the water or wait a couple more weeks for the water to warm up and pull up on a sandy beach to complete the bow area. I did do some temporary siliconing on where the side rail meets the hull, and that slowed down the amount that is coming in. I do have some areas right at the bow pulpit that look like they need some silicone, but I really need to pull the bumper material out and do it correctly.