Old 12-18-2017, 05:17 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Model and HIN

Not really sure what the model number is. The hull tag says USKF23MAF989
It was advertised as a 16 footer. Where can I find what models were made in 1989?
Still cant download from the forum. When I hit the download button it takes me to another page that says I am not logged in or dont have permission. If I log in there, it says that I am trying to download too fast. If I dont log in, nothing happens.. no download.... nuthin. ???

slywuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by slywuf View Post
Not really sure what the model number is. The hull tag says USKF23MAF989
It was advertised as a 16 footer. Where can I find what models were made in 1989?
Still cant download from the forum. When I hit the download button it takes me to another page that says I am not logged in or dont have permission. If I log in there, it says that I am trying to download too fast. If I dont log in, nothing happens.. no download.... nuthin. ???
shrew will chime in with info on how to decode the HIN as well as down load

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #3

Moved posts to its own thread as there was some scope creep in the original thread and it was placed in 'New Member Introductions". Moved thread to General.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

The Hull Identification Number (HIN) will give you this information.

USCG HIN References:
Hull ID Numbers - BoatSafe.com

USCG MIC Reference:
Manufacturers Identification

HIN Format:
<MIC><Serial Number><Date of Certification><Model Year>

======================================
MIC = Manufacturers ID Code

Maxum MIC's;

MIC.Company.........Address....................... ....City............State
BVK MAXUM MARINE 17825 59TH AVE NE...........ARLINGTON WA
MXK MAXUM MARINE 17825 59TH AVENUE NE ARLINGTON WA
MXP MAXUM MARINE 17825 59TH AVENUE NE ARLINGTON WA
MXR MAXUM MARINE PO BOX 9029 EVERETT WA
MXY MAXUM MARINE 1 NORTH FIELD CT LAKE FOREST IL
XNC MAXUM MARINE 17825 59TH AVE NE ARLINGTON WA

The Maxum Serial Numbers are typically only 2 character numbers.
I only have records back to 1993.

Date Of Certification:

Format: <Month><Day>
example: Jan 3 = A3

Jan = A
Feb = B
Mar = C
April = D
May = E
June = F
July = G
Aug = H
Sept = I
Oct = J
Nov = K
Dec = L

Model Year format: <YY>
example: 97

HIN: USKF23MAF989

USK - Bayliner

NOTE: The first few years after Brunswick acquired Maxum, the boats manufactured in Bayliner facilities were assigned a Bayliner MIC because hadn't obtained a MIC for Maxum in that specific plant yet.

Serial #: F23MA

NOTE: I only have records back to 1993. I have no idea what model this is. I would have guessed a 23 footer based on the designation.

Date Of Certification: June 1989

Model Year: 1989
Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Hi all - been digging around a bit trying to better identify (to better identify what parts I will eventually need) my boat. It's a 1990 I know, title says 21ft and it's a bowrider. when looking at parts theirs a slew of models that show up so I'm hoping someone (noticing shrew seems to be the authority in this department) can help. The HIN is USHC32MDJ990 - so Bayliner out of Arlington, WA (that's state for you East Coast Biased viewers I just can't seem to find a reference to model number from the serial #.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone has.
CapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
Hi all - been digging around a bit trying to better identify (to better identify what parts I will eventually need) my boat. It's a 1990 I know, title says 21ft and it's a bowrider. when looking at parts theirs a slew of models that show up so I'm hoping someone (noticing shrew seems to be the authority in this department) can help. The HIN is USHC32MDJ990 - so Bayliner out of Arlington, WA (that's state for you East Coast Biased viewers I just can't seem to find a reference to model number from the serial #.

IMO you’re going through a lot of effort that will yield little return. The most important thing to know is engine year, engine size, outdrive. Other things are third party and spanned a few years then there is the hull, seat, ... which were made by Maxum and you will be on your own as the line was shut down in 2009 and most if not all stock of parts are gone.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:

We have states on the East Coast of the US too. That's how we can tell Arlington VA from Arlington WA. The state concept is somewhat lost on our foreign members.

What parts are you looking for?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
Lt. JG

thanks to both mmwjr and shrew for the replies... I understand the idea of return on effort mmwjr, is more a curiosity thing.

Shrew, was tongue in cheek - Navy kids, some were, 1 still is - stationed in Maryland and Norfolk, whenever we mentioned where we were from we'd get "Oh, what part of DC do you live in?" Thus the East Coast bias mention lol.

The model ID request happens for example @ iboats looking for a bimini top, some other parts as well, i think @ wholesale marine.

Speaking of tops... does anyone have any experience with Marine and RV Direct | Lehigh Acres, FL | Home they have tops for self assembly/install for a very good price, just don't know how trustworthy they are.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:03 PM   #9

I would have a local canvas person come out and make one for you. Generic biminis don't always fit properly and are not as stout as a custom made one.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I would have a local canvas person come out and make one for you. Generic biminis don't always fit properly and are not as stout as a custom made one.
I appreciate the advice - and I wish I had more choices here locally. Closest I came to a reasonable price was $800 for a 6ft top. When I can get an 8ft Bimini including all hardware for $150 (does require assembly and installation) even if it is only good for a couple of years just makes more sense to diy it.

Was just hoping a few folks here just had some good experience with online vendors.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
I appreciate the advice - and I wish I had more choices here locally. Closest I came to a reasonable price was $800 for a 6ft top. When I can get an 8ft Bimini including all hardware for $150 (does require assembly and installation) even if it is only good for a couple of years just makes more sense to diy it.

Was just hoping a few folks here just had some good experience with online vendors.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes, that sounds about right. You're getting what you pay for. Your route will cost you $950 over the same time period.