Old 02-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Ensign

Default may have just screwed up my boat - any advice would be appreciated

Well, this week of hot weather down here in the South East gave me boat fever and I pulled my old 98 Maxum 1900SR out and got it ready for the lake. I drained everything and it started right up, so off to the lake I went. It ran fine for a minute and then it started slowing down to a crawl. I popped the engine hatch open and saw water spewing everywhere. It looked like it was coming from the bottom of the engine and spouting up. I didn't have the cover all the way off at this point, just the hatch was open. It kept getting slower and started filling up with water. More water, then more water. During all of this, I had the stick all the way forward as far as it would go and it was going 8mph. I was trying to steer and figure out what was going on at the same time, so I couldn't do much because I was worried I was going to sink the boat if I didn't get it back to the ramp. So, I gave up on figuring out the problem and just tried to get it back. I made it back, but by the time I got it on the trailer, it was flooded with about 8" of water. Once I got it out and pulled the drain plug, I could get to the engine compartment. I found the problem. One of the thermostat hoses had popped. I had just assumed that my engine block had cracked with all of the single digit temperatures we had this year, but nope, it was one of the thermostat hoses. Now everything's a mess in the boat and I've got to start trying to figure out the extent of the damage. Any ideas what I should start checking?

selbona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Captain

You should definitely replace the popped hose, then go from there. I apologize for the questions, but, what do you mean by "popped"? Did it come off or is it torn? What was your maximum temperature? This could be an easy fix.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
Admiral

selbona welcome aboard.

As jrsick asked did the hose just come off or is it split?

Was the engine overheating, I am assuming it was with the lose of power.

I would repair hose and manifold to elbow gasket as these tend to fail once over heated from what I have seen, then perform a compression test. I fear that if not already soon the engine will require work.

BTY: what engine and outdrive do you have? 3.0L with an Alpha Gen 2?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Ensign

I've got the optional 4.3 with the Alpha Gen 2 out drive. Believe it or not, it didn't overheat. The hose was close enough to the opening on the thermostat that it got enough water in there I guess. Water was pouring everywhere like an open firehose. In hindsight, I should have just shut down the boat and tried to find out what was going on, but I panicked and all I could think about was getting back to the dock before it sank! If I would have shut it down and pulled the engine hatch all the way off, I would have noticed the problem immediately, but like I said, I panicked. I did reattach the hose. I just didn't have it tight enough from when I had winterized it.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Ensign

It popped off. I just didn't have the clamp on good enough and it popped right off. I should have checked it first, but I was too busy trying to steer and make it back to the dock before I sank. Huge screw up-I do not work well under pressure! I couldn't even remember to hit the trailer button on the stick to get the foot all the way back up.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Ensign

Well, I say it didn't overheat. The guage was reading about 200, which I think is about what it normally shows. I'm not real sure. I'm usually watching the fuel guage! I know it was taching out at 4000rpm.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Admiral

If you have an open system the temp should be 160 F. If an air pocket forms around the temp sensor on the engine it would read correctly.
The fact that you had reduced power "I had the stick all the way forward as far as it would go and it was going 8mph"says the engine was overheating.

As I said before after fixing the hose run a compression test. Ialso recommend replacing the gaskets between th manifolds and elbows as Ihave seen these fail from overheating.

You may or may not get lucky. I have seen that events such as this result in a OK engine, problem with engine right away, and a problem that arises a few months latter. The last happened to a friend and it end with a rebuilt long block.

BTY: where in the south east are you? Is it staying above freezing?

Mike
Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by selbona View Post
I've got the optional 4.3 with the Alpha Gen 2 out drive. Believe it or not, it didn't overheat. The hose was close enough to the opening on the thermostat that it got enough water in there I guess. Water was pouring everywhere like an open firehose. In hindsight, I should have just shut down the boat and tried to find out what was going on, but I panicked and all I could think about was getting back to the dock before it sank! If I would have shut it down and pulled the engine hatch all the way off, I would have noticed the problem immediately, but like I said, I panicked. I did reattach the hose. I just didn't have it tight enough from when I had winterized it.
We have all panicked at one time or another. This usually leads towards bigger problems but it's human nature. Training and or experience is the only way to overcome it. We'll be here to provide help as required.

Mike
Old 02-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Ensign

I'm crossing my fingers that I get lucky on this, but I usually don't! Thanks for the replies. We're in Charlotte, NC.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Admiral

Good luck with the boat and let us know how it turns out and if you have any questions.

PS post some pics :-)

Mike
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #11
Lieutenant

The slowing down issue is very likely the fact that 8" of water in the engine compartment is an awful lot of extra weight to try and move. Most likely once you have made the necessary repairs and checks you will find that your cruising speed will be back to normal. Good Luck
ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Ensign

I was thinking the same thing. It kept getting slower as more and more water was entering the boat. I haven't touched it since this incident. I'm currently working on the interior and then I am going to tackle the engine. I did see water in the oil when I pulled the stick, but I'm hoping it leaked in there somehow when the water was pouring all over the engine from the hose that popped off.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by selbona View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It kept getting slower as more and more water was entering the boat. I haven't touched it since this incident. I'm currently working on the interior and then I am going to tackle the engine. I did see water in the oil when I pulled the stick, but I'm hoping it leaked in there somehow when the water was pouring all over the engine from the hose that popped off.

good hope but slim chance. I suspect engine work is in your future.

Mike
Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #14
Ensign

Yeah, I don't usually get lucky in these kinds of situations.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #15
Admiral

Try looking for cracks in the side of the engine block and exhaust (these are water cooled)

Mike
Old 05-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #16
Lieutenant

The other issue to consider and I highly recommend checking out is water intrusion into the u joints and gimbal bearing of your outdrive. If it was saltwater then you'll definitely have to replace them, but either way you need to have the outdrive inspected. Good luck on the fix.

www.vikingbay.co
Nehalennia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #17
Ensign

Thanks. I'm almost finished with the deck and then I'm getting on this engine.