Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Captain

Default Maxum contest....

let's see who's the first to fix something... AFTER you use the boat for the first time this season.

Let's see what breaks first!, and who broke it..... (i'm still at the dock fixing from last season...)

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Admiral

I am about to fix my a/c water pump with a new one.............does that count?

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Lieutenant

There aren' many contests I want to lose but I hope this is the one.
ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Captain

read my other topic 'leaking water''

boat did only lay in the water for 5 minutes, then already took her out......repair.....still leak so she will be repaird within a few weeks

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Commander

1st trip out (Saturday) we ran up and down the Patuxent River for about 2 hours. Everything worked just great, Except…… All of a sudden water started coming out from under the dash…. At first I was thinking my 1st Mate spilled something but then it dawned on me when I wired the Fish Finder I ran the wires thru the Dash and I must of loosened the Speed-Oh hose ..lol Found the hose had come off the Back of the Gauge, easy fix…
The 2nd trip was we had been out about 4 hours, in and out of a few beaches and had to Trim up and Down a few times. Everthing was working just fine. A friend was putting in at a Marina a few miles upriver and was having some trouble so we decided to give him a hand. I had never been to this marina, it has a very narrow channel and it was low Tide, I didn’t check the Charts. didn’t hit anything but did run out of water and had to Trim up to get back in the Channel. After helping my friend. He gave us the low down on how to navigate in and out of the Channel, you the kinda info that ain’t on the Chart anyway….. The info only the “Locals” know…. Long story short…..The Trim wouldn’t go Down. I had to Jumper the Solenoid with a wire, I am guessing it’s the Switch in the Throttle….

Todd
9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Commander

I am happy to say that I am losing this contest :-)
Fired her up on muffs last weekend and all seemed great.
Dropper her in Saturday and sat till Sunday when we finally got out for a cruise. Was out for about 2 hours and no issues at all to report.
Opened her up a few times since the lake was pretty calm and she just growled and took off (got her to 53 mph with 4 on board
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I am sad to report that it is too early for me to determine if I shall win our loose this contest. LOL

Finally made it down to the marina on Sunday. Got the boat un-covered - looks pretty darn clean. Got the trailer hooked up to the truck and pulled the whole mess home without incident. Parked it in the side driveway, sat on deck, and had a beer.

I should be able to start attacking the few things I want to do and then get it cleaned up. Realistically, I'm still two weeks away from dropping Aweigh Time into the water.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Lt. JG

No Issues ...... Thank You , God !!

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Captain

I AM,..... THAT i AM.............
Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
tzw
Ensign

My lower unit is being replaced right now, Boat hasn't even been in the water yet this season. does that count?
tzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Admiral

first sea trail sunday...had great time..saw some grey whales and washed her..got some waxing to do next and that will probably take a month....she's a friggin looooong boat!!!

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
first sea trail sunday...had great time..saw some grey whales and washed her..got some waxing to do next and that will probably take a month....she's a friggin looooong boat!!!

SP

WOW, you saw some grey whales.... the only whales I see around here are on the beach, but lets not go there...lol

We have seen bottlenose dolphins from time to time but very rare, only a few times over the years...

Todd
9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
Ensign

Default I hope this is all for me this year.

Started my boat for the first time this season with muffs, the 5.0L started up fine. Took it to the lake the next weekend and it would turn over but wouldn't start. poked around and determined the fuel pump went bad (original from 1999). Brought it back home and ordered a new one. It arrived the next day so I rushed out to install it. 30 mins later I was ready to start it up.....she fired right up!! Live is good again and only a $200.00 repair job.
George B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Ball View Post
WOW, you saw some grey whales.... the only whales I see around here are on the beach, but lets not go there...lol

We have seen bottlenose dolphins from time to time but very rare, only a few times over the years...

Todd

yep..they will feed up here and mate..then go south to baha calif to calve thier young....then swim back up here in the spring...the amazing things we see here that's amazing is orca whales....killer whales....they are amazing critters .....it's always freaky to see one glide under your boat and look up at your as they go under....amazing...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
yep..they will feed up here and mate..then go south to baha calif to calve thier young....then swim back up here in the spring...the amazing things we see here that's amazing is orca whales....killer whales....they are amazing critters .....it's always freaky to see one glide under your boat and look up at your as they go under....amazing...

SP
WOW, that is awesome. I have to laugh a little though because whenever I am watching one of the shark shows or shows about killer whales I always get at least one question from one of my boys...
Boys: Dad, do those live in Lake Cumberland?
Me: no, those live in the ocean which we never boat in.
Boys: Dad, are you sure?
Me: yes, I am sure, you will never see a killer whale in lake Cumberland...

Should I show my oldest boy (9) your post about them swimming under your boat??? He would freak out...
jrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:15 AM   #16
Ensign

Here's my story:

I don't even OWN the Maxum yet - hopefully that happens this Friday, so let me tell you why.......

I've been working on buying a 2004 2200 SR3 for a few weeks now. I went to the dealer a few Fridays ago after seeing the boat online. Checked it out, did as much inspecting as I could do, and then had the dealer start it on the muffs at the lot. Sounded great, looked great. It was about closing time and I told the salesman that I wanted a sea trial before I was going to tow it home. We couldn't go then, so I set up the appointment for this past Friday for the sea trial and purchase if the trial went well.

So, this past Friday (Friday the 13th - what was I thinking?) I took the boat out for a test drive and that's when it got interesting. I had backed off the trailer about 15ft. and switched the control to forward. The boat bucked and jumped, sputtered then died. I restarted it and any time I gave it any gas, it just stumbled and died. I limped back to the trailer - all while my salesman watched from the shore in horror. We towed back to the dealership and he had a few techs hop right on it. Turns out there was a bit of water - ok a ton - in the tank. The fuel filter was about 98% water. I'm not exaggerating. They changed the filter out, added some treatment to the tank, added some non-ethanol fuel and we headed back to the ramp for round two.

The tech that worked on the boat went with me this time. I backed us down the ramp and he launched the boat. He told me he'd meet me over at the courtesy dock. I watched as he started to drive away. The boat sounded great and was running perfectly. He got about a quarter mile away and I heard the backfiring start. Then, he drifted out of sight. I waited and waited, but he never came back. About 20 minutes later, another truck from the dealership pulls up towing a SeaRay. He was the rescue craft. Turns out that there was still a lot of water in the tank. This time it killed the fuel pump. They towed it back to the ramp and we went back to the dealer. The tech was pretty angry. He couldn't believe that the salesman knew I was coming back to purchase and didn't bother to check the boat out first. I told them I was still interested, but I wanted the fuel system completely run through before we talked any more. So, I got the call today that it is ready. They ended up having to drain the gas tank, replace the fuel pump, replace the fuel filters (cool fuel system on this boat so there are a couple of filters). They drove it for two hours today - I'll be checking the hour meter to confirm they at least faked it correctly.

So, I'm heading back this Friday for one last go at it. If it checks out, it's coming home with me. If it doesn't, I may not be on this board any more since there aren't any more Maxums for sale near me. I'll keep you all posted.
b18apwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
Lieutenant

I broke my tach Sunday. New one should be here tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Captain

make them pull the spark plugs in front of you before runing it, and check to see for any moisture droplets.... very small like the top head of a pin, if so this is leaking mainfolds.

Also, you should check the oil yourself for water, milky or oher wise.... dirty oil is good, it mean then did not change it to sell the boat and hide any issues.

water in the tank is similar to mainfold leaks when the engine sputters.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
Admiral

dang...sounds like you had quite a few adventures so far...hopefully all that is behind you and the boat is now yours.....

welcome to the zoo by the way..I somehow managed to miss this post..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #20
Ensign

Boat is mine. They fixed it last week and I brought it home on Friday after an hour and a half test drive on Lake Cumberland. I felt that was sufficient time to see that it was operating correctly.

b18apwr is offline   Reply With Quote