Old 02-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 2100 sd prop pitch

My maxum is getting out of the hole really slow. I want to know what pitch prop people are using for best results.

Thatmedicjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #2

The number is going to vary based on gear and people weight. You would start by calculating your Max. RPM at Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

What model motor do you have? We would need to start with the Max. RPM range of the motor itself. Most Mercruiser Inboard & I/O motors have a max. range of 4,400 - 4,800 rpm's.

I would start with moderate weight. (2 people, half tank of fuel, minimual gear) and then gt boat up on plane and at WOT throttle. Then record the max. rpm.

The goal is to get as close to the max. rpm without exceeding it. If you are over the max. rpm you are under propped. If you are under the max. rpm, you are overpropped.

Approx. 1" of prop pitch (not diameter) will impact the max. rpm by about 200. Going down 1" of pitch will increase rpm, while increasing pitch will decrease max. rpm.

If under test conditions you are in the 'sweet spot' spot for Max. RPM (4600-4700) then you are more than likely overloaded when fully loaded or there is a weight distribution issue.

trim tabs can help in these situations as can moving weight forward.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I'm also a 2100SD owner. After destroying my prop, I went to Mercury's prop selector and figured out what I wanted to replace it with. The "original" was very aggressive 3-balde which was good for top end speed, but the selector turned me on to a 4-blade for better pulling (tubes, skier, wakeboard) and quicker hole shot. Personally, I'd sacrifice speed for torque and stability on a sport deck.

Look at their calculator and figure out your boat + accessories weight. My 5.0 MPI is around 4600-4800 rpm WOT, but this will change depending on which prop you have on, as the knowledgeable Moderator described above.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown View Post
.....................as the knowledgeable moderator described above.

lmfao!!!!!!!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote