Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 2000 SR3 4.3 mpi Mercruiser 2005

Hi all,

First let me introduce myself. I am Mark and living in the Netherlands. Since 2 years now I am the proud owner of a Maxum 2000 sr3 speedboat.
The boat is equipped with a 4.3 mercuiser mpi engine.

What I would like to know. Can I use this boat for waterskiing. Is anyone on this forum familiar with this?
I guess the boat is strong enough but..............

Another thing. Does anyone know how much rpm I need to tow a 95 kg waterskieer?

Thanks in advance for your reactions. And I will place some pictures soon.

Maxum2000SR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
Ensign

You can tow skiers with that boat just fine.

The wake will be a bit bigger than a dedicated flat bottomed ski boat like a mastercraft, and it might take a second or two longer to get on plane, but no one short of a tournament skier will complain.

Trim tabs will help you plane quicker and stay on plane at a slower speed. You shouldn't need them though.

Not sure what you mean about RPM to tow a skier. What you need to consider is propeller pitch. Pitch it down for a quicker time to plane and more torque to pull a skier up. Not sure what the standard prop pitch on a 2000 sr3 is, I'd guess 19"? Drop to a 17" if you want get more get up and go from rest, but watch the rev limiter when you are running the boat flat out when not towing. 4 bladed props or a high 5 prop will also help with grip and get your skiers up out of the water faster.

But to be honest, even with a factory prop on that boat you'll pull recreational skiers and boarders just fine.

Kristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
Captain

Mark, I am very familiar with this, and heck yes you can tow a skier. Your boat is very good at towing skiers, tubes, kneeboards, etc.
RPMs required for 95kg skier will be determined by how fast he wants to go. I had a 1800 SR with 3.0L engine, and could tow a 95kg skier at a speed of 34kph at 3000 rpm. I towed large, 3-man tube 28kph at 3600 rpm. Just to give you an idea.
The prop that came with my boat was 19p. I used a 17p for water sports because of the improved hole shot, faster plane, and tighter turns. I just had to keep closer eye on my rpms because it is easier to overspeed with smaller prop.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
Ensign

Both thanks for your reactions.
I already thought that my boat was strong enough. As far as I know I already have a 4 blade propellor. But I am not sure. I will check this soon.

For me it is clear now that it is not the boat but the skieer that is the problem
I have to practice much more.

Thanks again appreciated.
Maxum2000SR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
Ensign

Just make sure you drop the hammer from start. Don't be shy with the power.
Kristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Captain

I found it best to trim the drive between 3/4 and full down for hole shot when pulling skiers. Like Kristoff said, drop the hammer on launch. Setting the throttle to the 3600 rpm position is a good starting point.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote