Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 12
Default Maxum 1800mx what to look for

Hi al, new here and looking for a Maxum 1800mx (UK Based) I'm going to be spending around 5000-10000 on a boat and just wondered what to look out for when buying second hand.

I already own a Fletcher speedboat with outboard but obviously the Maxum with inboard will be quite different.

Any suggestions could be very helpful.

Mark (UK)
__________________

m2bl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,468
Default

What to look for is general for boats, soft spots in the floor and overall condition. Regarding the power check for signs of water in the gear lube and engine oil. Metal filings on the I/O drain plug magnet. Overall engine health, take her for a test ride and put it through the paces.
__________________

__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Admiral
 
biggerseagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 1,917
Default

What Mike said plus take a marine mechanic with you when you find a boat. The seller should be telling you all about how and when it was serviced. Just the outward appearance should tell you how the boat was taken care of. Good luck.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #4
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 12
Default

Thank you so far, although I have a boat it's an outboard and as I'm now moving to inboard things start to change.

Do all 1800mx 3litre engines beep when the key is first turned? Just before starting the engine?
m2bl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2bl3 View Post
Thank you so far, although I have a boat it's an outboard and as I'm now moving to inboard things start to change.

Do all 1800mx 3litre engines beep when the key is first turned? Just before starting the engine?
Yes, it's to test the alarm function. The reason this happens is the alarm monitors three things, coolant temp, oil pressure, and gear lube level. When starting there is no oil pressure so that switch is closed until the engine starts and this is what sounds the alarm.
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Yes, it's to test the alarm function. The reason this happens is the alarm monitors three things, coolant temp, oil pressure, and gear lube level. When starting there is no oil pressure so that switch is closed until the engine starts and this is what sounds the alarm.
OK I recently viewed a 2004 boat with mercruiser 3lt engine and when the key was turned to start the engine it turned over but there was no sound from the alarm. Could this indicate a possible problem?

When the engine was running the oil pressure gauge did not register any pressure. It did take quite a few turns of the key to start the engine and because of the above I left it. So do all mercruiser engines have the beep sound at startup?

Cheers
m2bl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2bl3 View Post
OK I recently viewed a 2004 boat with mercruiser 3lt engine and when the key was turned to start the engine it turned over but there was no sound from the alarm. Could this indicate a possible problem?

When the engine was running the oil pressure gauge did not register any pressure. It did take quite a few turns of the key to start the engine and because of the above I left it. So do all mercruiser engines have the beep sound at startup?

Cheers
I'm not sure they all beep at start up. Some folks say theirs does other say no then again some say it only does some times. The oil gauge uses a sendor that is separate from the alarm oil pressure switch sendor. If an engine had no oil pressure it would be making a rattle or knocking noise and would not run for long.
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I'm not sure they all beep at start up. Some folks say theirs does other say no then again some say it only does some times. The oil gauge uses a sendor that is separate from the alarm oil pressure switch sendor. If an engine had no oil pressure it would be making a rattle or knocking noise and would not run for long.
Cheers Mike, No oil pressure = rattle after a short time. Maybe the oil pressure gauge was not working then.

I will be looking at more boats till I find one I like so this information will definitely help if I come across this again.

Maybe the boat was better than I thought.
m2bl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,468
Default

Good luck
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,616
Default

Make sure the alarm wasn't disconnected to hide a problem.
__________________

__________________
Shhhhhh!!! Please lower your voice, the boat is sleeping.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.