Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 1700 Bowrider questions

Good evening, or morning if your in USA!

Just to introduce myself I am Lee from Brighton UK, I live at the Marina/harbour there and I am looking for a great starter boat, to say I am a noob is an understatement.

I have never owned a boat before, or even driven one but I am looking to get a boat in the next couple of months and moor it up down here.

I have been looking at various boats (cheaper ones to begin with) and the Maxum 1700 Bowrider looks like a bargain, it also looks great and a good size for a starter boat. What I was wondering is if you had any pointers as to things to look out for...are there any common niggles they have? I know they are quite old (ones I was looking at were about 1995). I was also wondering in terms of servicing what needs to be done on a regular basis? I am completely new to it all.

Also, this may sound dumb but are they fine to moor up in salt water permanently? Or are they more boats that you would take out for a day then store again.

Anyhow thanks in advance, and if you know of any similar boats to recommend then it would be much appreciated.

Lee

LeeSouthUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Commander

Lee, my dad has that same boat just a year older. Is it a outboard or sterndrive? Running gear makes a difference. Plus, for us yanks...What's a niggle?

-JP

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi there,

A niggle is a common problem, or slight issues that arise with certain models.

This is a link to the same boat I am looking at getting http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/s...iser-3l-DWN116

It may shed more light,

Thanks, Lee
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Captain

Looks like the boat has had some recent maintenance, talk to the guys that did the work and see what they can tell you. Make sure everything works and that there are no soft spots in the deck. Do a sea trial at WOT and check for leaks.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Commander

Lee, thanks for the lesson in UK dialect. First off, the maintenance looks good. If you are going to keep her moored rather than on the trailer, the bellows is the big concern. Bellows are the accordion like rubber boots that seal the outdrive (a.k.a. leg) to the boat hull. These need to be inspected and replaced periodically as a cracked or broken bellows means a big hole below the waterline for water to enter the boat. You noted saltwater, what is your intended use? A 1700 is a small bowrider and not great for waves over a 2-3 feet at the most, it can easily be swamped. If you are planning on keeping to the rivers and intercostal waterways it should be pretty good. But this isn't an open ocean boat, especially for a novice. jrsick gave some good advice too. As with any previously owned boat, look for any "cob jobs" where the owner made bad splices in wiring or made bad fiberglass repairs. Lastly, the 3.0 is an industrial engine in it's previous life, so parts aren't as plentiful as the 4.3, 5.0, and 5.7 litre engines that were used in automotive applications here in the states. I will channel the MOC founder Seapuppy for a moment and state "Take a boater safety course" and "Never approach a dock faster than you are willing to run into it"

-JP
Old 08-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Ensign

Thank you very much for the feedback, shows how little I know! I would be getting a boat to use just off the coast and out the Marina/Harbour here, not too far off shore but just for fun with family and friends.

Do you have any recommendations for a good first boat for this (does not have to be a Maxum)? I have noticed a few small Maxum's here in the Harbour, perhaps they just use them on calm days.

Many thanks, Lee
Old 08-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Commander

This is all a matter of comfort and choice. Personally, I would stick with 21' or larger, cuddy (closed not open bow), and look for a boat with high freeboard (distance from the waterline to top of the gunnels(sides). You also want a boat with a steep deadrise angle (the angle of the bottom of the boat should be less flat) to cut through the waves better. The 1700 is a good boat, but has a shallow deadrise (~16°) as compared to a 2100 with a 20° deadrise. The low deadrise angle can make you feel like a cork in a bathtub and pound your fillings out in choppy water. Here is a link for reference: http://www.tropicalboating.com/power...ull-angle.html. As for specific boats, I cannot point you at them because there are so many different configurations. I would recommend taking a few for a spin with a salesman to see what feels comfortable. Lastly, if saltwater is your main use, I would look for a boat with a closed loop cooling system rather than raw water cooled to ensure the salt doesn't or didn't eat up the motor.

Hope this helps.

-JP
Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

First welcome to the forum...I can certainly second countryme... It may not be what you want for where you are.
I own the boat you are looking at in the ad, only a 1997 version. I boat mostly in the great lakes of southern ontario, and even there I do find many times where I can not take her out due to large waves. At about a two foot wave I am already starting to wonder if I need to be out or not bothering to go, at 3ft its heading to the dock, or now way I'd put her in. Once at plane it does hit hard on the larger waves, but not too bad depending on the wave period (time between waves).
All that being said, I do boat on the Grand River (one of S. Onatrio's largest rivers) also and there or when the lake is relatively smooth at is a fantastic boat. Pulls tubes fine and lots for other sports, cruises nice and has great comfortable lounging in the front and comfy seats rear... The 3.0 is very good on fuel, I can pull a tube and have a decently full boat using about 1(UK) gallon and hour.
By the way are you in Devon area? I have family over there...
Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

LOL, Lee i replied to your post over in the other forum I have the 1750 with 3L inboard and it is fine even in the Solent and Southampton water which can be very choppy at times, i had to put the bow cover on once in the 3 years i have been using it. It has never taken on water, never needed to use the bilge pump and never let me down (got a great engineer) Over on the other forum they will all say get a cuddy which Maxum also do and anything less than 36' out on the water will be unsuitable, all bow riders will either sink or blow up.

The engineer who does my boat used to work for a firm off Hamble Point, most of his sales were bowriders and from there there is only one plce to go in the water, and that Southampton water and beyond...so fear not.

Bloody good boat imo.
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpa1 View Post
LOL, Lee i replied to your post over in the other forum
The "OTHER" forum...huh? Please at least tell me your not referring to the "Spray on truck bed liner makes a great non-skid" crew. LOL, JK I couldn't resist.

In regards to storing in saltwater. I sure hope so, because that is where mine lives for 5 months of the year. You'll NEED bottom paint. You're going to need to make sure the bonding system is solid and you maintain your zincs religiously. You will still need to periodically dive on the boat to make sure the growth is staying to a minimum on the hull and drive and pay particularly close attention to any barnacle buildup on the intakes. You may want to haul it every few months to power wash, check/change zincs etc.

As for the type of boat, it really depends on the type of water you're boating in(e.g. Bay, sound, lake, river, open ocean) and what type of boating you want to do (e.g. skiing, fishing, cruising).

The boats themselves are fairly typical of any fiberglass boat. If looking at a used open boat, I'd be looking at soft floors, transom, general wear and engine condition. Vinyl can be replaced. A repower will cost money. dull gelcoat can be buffed, but rotten stringers and transom are a nightmare. This is not brand specific, just the nature of boats, especially small open boats......that have sat uncovered......for years.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
Ensign

Hi, Lee is in mid South of England, I however am in Saltash, first South town you meet after leaving Devon over the Tamar bridge, small world init.

wholehog is offline   Reply With Quote