Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Looking for a fish finder

Nothing crazy and I’ve read for about a week on this and I’m aware of all the reviews, options, price points, etc.
Probably under 300.00 US. Just wondering if someone has something they love and would like to share why?

EDIT: I would also very much like a transducer that glues/affixes whatever… to the bottom of the hull internally rather than mounting something else out back.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
Admiral

I have a Lorance combo unit but it cost ~$700. Has transom mount transduce and paddle wheel speedo/temp sensor.

You can mount a transom mount transduce in the engine compartment by bonding it to the hull, key is to make sure there are no air bubbles in the bonding material. Most manufactures also sell an internal transduce as an option.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
Admiral

On my 3000 I have the factory depth finder and it has the shoot through the hull transducer. It works part-time if that. I installed a hummingbird model on my dash and it works great. I mounted ,on the starboard side, the transducer on the outside transom.

I have not had any luck with shoot through the hull transducers thus why I like put them on the transom.I go 5 or 35 I have a reading.

Darren there are many models and brands out there with plenty of great websites to buy from. Overton's is my favorite. Look around and you can find everything that fits your needs.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Roger, mine is the same and has the same results…. Shotty at best. Guess I should be used to making holes in her after installing the docking lights and Corsa exhaust.
Maybe I’m more confident with bigger holes (yes, I just got punched)

Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Lowrance Elite-5 (fish finder/chart plotter) on 2400 SCR, transducer installed in engine compartment with high grade epoxy, works well for me. Check with West Marine, they put this on sale once in a while. Got mine for $349.99.
cruz'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
Lt. JG

My transducer died - replaced it with this shot through - http://www.blueheronmarine.com/Datam...r-P79-RCA-7515. Even has the RCA connection to work with the original depth gage (not a fish finder). Mounted about where the old one was (in front of the starboard engine). Works great!
ezcurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

I just bought the lowrance elite 5 DSI for $299 on cabelas site. combo color unit. I've seen some great sales on them there but they don't last long. One hour after I bought mine they were sold out.
Lowrance are nice units. Stay clear of hummingbird, they are garbage.
BB>
Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Dang that's a smoken deal, and that's exactly the one I'm leaning towards. Overtons has it on sale right now for 379.00 http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...3&merchID=4006

299.00 sounds a lot better, I'll keep looking.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Just called Cabells, there is a store 3 miles from me. Apparently they are phasing these out for the new model and are not going to get anymore in.

(Also 299.00 http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowra...h-All+Products )

So…. He said I could have the display model (with box and all accompanying hardware) for 279.00!! Going to pick it up now. Thanks for the tip! WooHoo
Old 02-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
Admiral

BB....who told you that humminbird 's were garbage? I have had these depth finders on my boats for many years and have never had a problem.

Just curious.. that all...

Roger
Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

I think I may have gotten a better deal then I originally anticipated. I got the Elite 5X-DSI for 279.00. Not sure whats different about it (the 'X" part) but whatever. Under 300.00 and it's just what I was looking for. Thanks guys!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowra...h-All+Products
Old 02-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Admiral

Glad it worked out for you!

Roger
Old 02-11-2014, 01:27 AM   #13
Lt. Commander

Not as well as I originally thought…. I read… a LOT and I research, a LOT. Kind of a dorky I.T. thing I guess, I’m a computer scientist.

Turns out the “X” is NOT the GPS model that I asked for, it’s the medium, (better than the “Mark 5” models) but the “X” does not have GPS. Taking it back tomorrow…The Elite 5 is the better unit. Only posting this so others can learn the difference. This information is not easy to come by; I looked for hours until I found this. -
Old 02-11-2014, 03:26 AM   #14
Admiral

A friend of mine bought an Elite model and I don't think his had GPS either, I know it doesn't support DSC. My Lorance model ? does have GPS an supports DSC which I have connected to my VHF. These units cost ~$700 and are combos GPS, Chartplotter, & Fishfinder. Mine has 2 transducers, 1 of sonor, 1 with a paddel wheel/ temp sensor.

Correction looked up my friends Elite-5 model and it does have GPS but does not support DSC.

BTY my unit is a LMS-525C

Mike
Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

I had to look up DSC = Displays DSC Distress and Position report calls received from a DSC VHF radio. Not something I'm really interested in because I'm in Omaha On big water this would be a must I suppose.

I returned the Elite 5X-DSI model this morning and purchased their last Elite 5-DSI/with GPS. All is well now...... Chartplotter, Fishfinder. (DSI -down scan imaging) transducer with temp sensor and speed from GPS.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
Admiral

Great glad you were able to get what you wanted.

DSC = Digital Select Calling. Sends GPS data and MMSI. The data base looks up MMSI and Coast Guard gets all the info you supplied on database, boat info, your info, emergency contact. This helps them identify you boat when on sight and who to contact if you are are hurt. The system also switches to a VHF channel the CG will try to contact you on

Mike
Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #17
Admiral

Since we are on the subject of electronics, Cobra, makes a hand held vhf radio that is 100% waterproof, floats and has bluetooth so you can put away your non-waterproof, doesn't float cell phone in the cabin.

Just like using your bluetooth in your car you use your vhf radio for your incoming and out going phone calls. Around $150.00 in price. 1, 3 or 5 watt for your power setting. As long as your cell phone is within a 30 foot radius of the vhf radio it will pick up the boothtooth signal.

Roger
Old 02-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #18
Lt. Commander

That's awesome Roger, SAFETY FIRST!! Where's the link is this fabulous device?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
I have not had any luck with shoot through the hull transducers thus why I like put them on the transom.I go 5 or 35 I have a reading.
Roger
I haven't tried any others. I have a 2nd through-hull transducer from the PO, but the device it plugged into is long gone. I use the crappy OEM one. That thing shows whole feet only, so If I'm in 4' or 4' 11" it shows 4 feet. Plus there is no offset. I can't tell you the number of times I've jumped in thinking I was up to my neck and was only up to my thighs. It the number of times I thought i was in up to my chest and was in over my head.

Adn don't get me started on 50% of the time it shows no reading at all. Then 20', 20', 4', 20' . That damn thing gets my heart racing somtimes.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
Admiral

Darren go to......www. cobra.com.

Look at vhf marine radio

Roger