Old 07-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
Ensign

Default lewmar windlass question

I am a fairly new owner of a '98 3000 SCR. 2 concerns. I have the winch powered by 2 deep cycle batteries serving as a house panel. Should the winch be connected to the engine cranking batteries instead so that if the house batteries are run down, I can still winch up the anchor? Or, is there a risk of slow current leak with the winch that would render my cranking batteries dead?

Also, does anyone know where its circuit breaker is? If the winch stopped working while running, is it a breaker or more likely a solenoid or other component?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Pennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Ensign

Default windlass question for 3000SCR

I am a fairly new owner of a '98 3000 SCR. 2 concerns. I have the winch powered by 2 deep cycle batteries serving as a house panel. Should the winch be connected to the engine cranking batteries instead so that if the house batteries are run down, I can still winch up the anchor? Or, is there a risk of slow current leak with the winch that would render my cranking batteries dead?

Also, does anyone know where its circuit breaker is? If the winch stopped working while running, is it a breaker or more likely a solenoid or other component?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 07-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Good questions, I hope you get some answers as I was wondering the same things.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Lt. JG

I have mine powered off the engine battery. Start the engines then use the windlass. You will not run the risk of running down the battery as it only uses power when utilizing the windlass. My windlass breaker is on the dash next to the windlass switch.
Tomd8950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
Captain

The winch breaker is in the back of the same cabinet as the battery switches.

You definitely want the winch on the house battery, not starboard battery engine. Btw, your house battery is also your port starting battery.

If also else fails, you can start your starboard engine, switch to both on both switches, start your port, then pull anchor.

I never use my winch unless the port engine is running.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

Moved from the "Introductions" Sub-Forum to the "General" sub-forum.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #7

Merged duplicate threads.

Welcome aboard Scott Pennington!!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #8
Captain

I should mention, unless someone rewired your boat, the 3000 doesn't have a stand alone house battery. Battery 1 is the port starting and house battery. battery 2 is starboard starting only.

The switches need to be in position one for normal operation, and in both to tie them together. Its an odd wiring, but that's what it is. I posted in a thread here a while ago pictures and diagrams of how the 3000 is wired.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #9
Ensign

Thanks Kevlar and shrew. I did have the engine compartment rewired a bit so that the house panel is 2 deep cycle batteries. Each engine has its own cranking battery as before, total of 4 batteries. There is an on/off switch for the windlass in the cabinet with the house/engine battery switches. Does it serve as a circuit breaker?
Old 07-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #10
Captain

There is an on off switch and a breaker. Look under the shelf in the back of the cabinet.

That windlass draws a LOT of current. I would not use it off the house battery, and only run it from a battery connected to a running engine.

How is your charging set up? Are you using a 3 bank isolator to charge your 3 banks?

Tags
windlass