Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Ensign

Question Letting my boat drying out with the tyde

I own a Maxum 2000 SR3. There are lots of ports and seaside towns within the range of the boat, but they are all tidal. My wife and I would like to go on a weeks holiday staying locally over night. Does anyone know if it's ok to let the boat dry out with the tide and if so what the does and donts are besides making sure that the transom is up!

Paravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Im in the UK and mine is moored on a tidal berth, so sits in the mud from time to time. There is no problem letting the boat dry out, not too sure i would want to be relaxing on it while she is in the mud though. Could you not anchor further out and use a tender to get to and fro? Or are you talking about those lovely little harbours in Wales

If you moor up to a buoy (sp) its fine, if you tie to a harbour wall etc make sure you use enough rope so the boat doesnt 'hang' at low tide

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Ensign

Many thanks Warpa1. Your not far off! I was thinking in lines of the north Devon coast actually as well as the little Welsh harbours, and as for the relaxing bit I had a nice local restaurant or pub in mind! Without over doing it of course!!I'm a bit nervous about anchoring off shore unattended and over night but tying off to a buoy sounds fine if available.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo.....first off...I had to read this a couple of times before I could figure out what the heck you were talking about...drying out???..sounds like you were going to quit drinking.....then I think I got it...letting your boat rest on the silt or bottom as the tide rolls out....there's a couple of things you need to think about...one...is there something that will poke a hole in the bottom of your boat...ie ..rock...piling....stump....stick...etc....so..in my mind being left high and dry isn't the smartest thing....

2nd...your outdrive...you need to make sure it's in the trailer position...if our bellows isn't in good condition..all that up and down could cause some leaking..your going to need to ensure your batt's are up to snuff and the bilge pump is in working order...

but best of luck with that and take lotsa pic's....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #5

I think it would help to understand the degree and length of time the tide goes out. I have seen and read many accounts in the UK area, where the tide will turn a normal harbor into a mud flat for fairly long periods of time. I know that region has brought us the 'double-keeled' sailboat for that specific purpose.

If we're talking about the water level dropping to 1-2 feet, then as Seapuppy said, put the drive in trailer position and you will probably be ok. However I've seen pictures of guys who walk out to their boats as they're laying on a completely exposed mud flat. That I wouldn't be interested in doing, and probably wouldn't suggest it either.

My main concern is that the boat lays over on it's side, then as the tide floods back in, starts filling the gunnel on the low side of the boat before the tide can properly float it up again. Again, it depends on the areas you intend on going and the degree of 'drying out' that you're talking about.

Are we talking about something like this?:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdevers/2857425143/

BTW, that picture in the flickr link is of a couple of Grady Whites. They are outboards, not IO's and when their outboard is in the trailer position, the lower unit is higher than the keel at the transom, so the only thing touching is the hull. Also, they have very little deadrise and a flat rounded keel at the transom. They are similar to larger fishing boats in that the relatively low deadrise at the transom makes for better lateral stability when drifting in beam too seas while fishing. A Maxum WILL NOT sit up so straight in the same condition, particularly with an outdrive (IO).
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Ensign

Thanks seapuppy and shrew for the advice. It’s obvious that something’s get lost in translation crossing the pond!
It’s definitely would be a concern what’s underneath as the tide goes out! My planed locations would be sheltered harbours where other boats regularly moor. Take a look at Ilfracombe on Google maps (Street view works well where you can look around 360deg. Over the quay).

I’ve uploaded to picasa some pictures of the boat and ones taken on days out. There are some that were taken in the lock leaving Cardiff Bay Barrage to the Bristol Channel. As you’re probably aware the Bristol Channel has some of the biggest tidal range in the world at around 14 meters. The lock gates are the tallest in Europe apparently.

https://picasaweb.google.com/john.ll...eat=directlink
Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Ill see how my 1750 sits in the mud tomorrow and get a few pics
Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #8

Uh, Ok I apologize for the 'lost in translation'. Technically, I did ask for some clarification. I don't know that I got that. So, communication being a 2 way street. Could you elaborate on what you're calling 'Drying out'?

you sent some pics, but didn't really calrify what the conditions are like or what you're really getting at. My apologies. I'm a just a dumb computer guy. sometimes i need things spelled out clearly and slowly. LOL
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Neat photos, and those locks do look BIG.

Not to derail the topic but what are the rules on life vests over there? I notice you and, I presume, your wife, are both wearing them. I understand needing them while in the locks but must you wear them all the time when underway on the boat?

And the locks - appears the water gets a little frothy and bumpy while being filled. Does it get a little unsettling in there in a smaller boat?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Neat photos, and those locks do look BIG.

Not to derail the topic but what are the rules on life vests over there? I notice you and, I presume, your wife, are both wearing them. I understand needing them while in the locks but must you wear them all the time when underway on the boat?

And the locks - appears the water gets a little frothy and bumpy while being filled. Does it get a little unsettling in there in a smaller boat?

Dan
This American to English really should not be a problem as we both call the language English lol. I dont see any pics of locks in any of the posts here, just another poster who put up a pic of a boat in mud. There are no rules to wearing any boyancy aid over here at any time or any where. I make some family and freinds where them when out in the rough stuff even though i dont (i know i should)

I know its friday night here in the UK and i have been fortunate enough to have a few beers but where are the pics of a 'frothy lock' ? I know my eyes are not so good, and my beer goggles dont help LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Evidently your beer goggles need adjusting. LOL

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to "Paravision"'s post, in which he added a link to a photo album that contains some pictures in an impressively sized lock.

Cheers!
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
Ensign

To clarify on most probable conditions (from what I can see on Google maps) the tide retreats completely to expose silt and sand closer to shore. The pictures can be seen if you click on the link at the end of the 8.11pm post. As for the life jackets, my wife and I's motto is "better safe than sorry".

Have a nice weekend all of you and look forward to see your pics warpa1
Old 06-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
Ensign

I was reading this last night with a few beers on board..I got lost on the drying out lol..I live in Bristol where is this massive lock? And let me know how you get on where did you go as we have thought about doing that leaving from the Docks in Bristol and heading down to North Devon....... Sounds like fun!! My husband was telling me last night where the filling stations were on the way way down but it went in one ear out the other......
MrsGleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
Ensign

I will ask him tonight where you can go he has down the trip a few times...
MrsGleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Pics as promised. Im not too happy how dirty the leg is getting but can trailor it out when i want to give it all a good clean. I was also worried about the leg being forced but it is soft mud and there was plenty of movement.

We are trying to sort our finances out and may dry stack it, but we do like it where it is as we can tinker when we want.

Sits flat on the mud though.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #16
Ensign

Today looked like a good day to be on the boat! Unfortunately I had to work Thanks for the pictures Warpa1. It's good to see that the boat sits flat. We had our boat on a dry stack last summer, but had loads of hassle getting the boat off the stack when we wanted it, so we changed to having her on the water for 7 months and only on the stack during the winter. Hopefully we'll be able to afford a trailer next year.

The lock is at the Cardiff Bay Barrage. A big advantage with Cardiff Bay and the Barrage is that you don't have to rely on the tide in the same way. Water level within the bay is regulated and there is plenty of space to go for a blast without having to go out into the channel unless we want to.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #17
Lt. Commander

We visited a few places today, only way we can have full use without worrying about the tide is dry stack, we are not paying 2K plus a year for that!! We looked at another mooring that is further out but the chap said even there in low tide we have a 2 hours window. Low water was at 12.24pm today, so rules out any use of the boat for a propper day out.

Watching videos of what they have in the USA they are spoiled, huge rivers and lakes, non tidal slipways and moorings to tie the boat to while you park up. Over here we have short slipways, no where to tie up and little space to park truck and trailor
Old 06-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #18
Admiral

you should try and come over here to the pacnorwest.....12-14 kt tides....36 ft swings...deep water but rapids and upwellings that can hold a 30ft pole under....

winds going in one direction and tides going another...you end up with 14ft waves....oh yeah...we got it spoiled all over!!!...

and if the dead heads and logs don't get you....some idiot that never could spell "boat" now owns one......between the river currents and tides...challenging boating isn't the word....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #19
Ensign

It seems that tides are quite a challange universally! Over here some people prefere to surf them

Not quite sure where in the UK you are based Warpa1, but those rates for dry stack seem expensive! Last year we paid about £1200 for a 22ft boat. And that includes any fees like use of the lock. Fees at the local yacht club are even cheaper! But we prefer to be able to keep an eye on the boat through the window.

I think I should get a job promoting Cardiff Bay LOL

[video=youtube;zN0pbOYA36I]
Old 06-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

nice little video maybe i have been searching the wrong places for dry stack here in Southampton, i cant find any where cheap or any mooring that is non tidal. Concidering the amount of water around here i would say its me and my searching :/