Old 08-07-2015, 04:38 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default LED replacement lights?

I'd like to replace my anchor and navigation light bulbs a with LED bulbs (bulb only, not entire fixtures). Anyone done this? If so, which bulbs did you go with and were you happy with the result?

HappyHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Do you have the Perko Fig 71 bulb up front and the 338 for the anchor light? I have been researching the same thing. For the Nav light, I don't see the benefit if you are worried about amp draw only, as the only time that light should be on is when the engine is running. The anchor light is another story. If you take the bulb to your local auto parts store you can find a match easily, however those auto lights are not coast guard approved. Try this place, Wedge Base 15-LED Omni-directional Micro Tower

deltaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:43 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Default Bulbs

The nav bulb is the fig 71. I'm not sure about the anchor bulb but it's a wedge. I just realized that one of the nav bulbs was burned out (the SD has 2 nav lights, one for each side). Then I noticed that the other nav light gets so hot that you can't hold your hand on the metal!
Old 08-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Thanks Delta, that looks like it could be a good one!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Another option... https://www.doctorled.com/store/P338-Wedge-Star And they carry the fig 71 led replacement. I ordered both, and I ordered some cheapo bulbs off amazon. I will let you know how they turn out, unfortunately it will be a few weeks as our boat is stored an hour away and work is hell this time of year.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Default Trying out LEDs

Let us know how those work. I ordered a few cheapies on eBay too. We'll see...
Old 08-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Lt. JG

I got the cheap replacement bulbs in the mail, these, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00 Were super bright, but the angle of light was not sufficient for my bi colored nav light, these may work if you have separate red and green, for now I'll be sticking with the standard bulb.

Next I installed these, Amazon.com: ABN 2 PC 42-SMD T10 12V LED Replacement Light Bulbs T15 921 912 906 Extra Bri...: Automotive in the anchor light. These are definitely good to go. Super bright and provide the required all around white light. I was concerned the light would be too blue or too yellow, but it is a brilliant white. These tests were done in the day time in direct sun, so we will have to wait for final results when I can get out at night. I tried to get pictures with my crap cellphone with no luck as the sun drowned out the light.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:43 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Great info, Delta. I got these festoon bulbs, and they also shine in one direction only. That works for me because I have separate grn and red lights. But they're also a bit dimmer than the non-LED original. I'll have to try out that wedge bulb!

2 BBT Brand Enclosed 31mm 6 SMD LED Festoon Type Marine Grade Light Bulbs | eBay
Old 08-23-2015, 12:56 AM   #9
Ensign

I ordered all new LED's for my 1996 2700SCR from superbrightleds.com. They have every lamp imaginable. Cheap!
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

I have replaced all my courtesy lights and inside lights along with my anchor light and I got all from Harvard Marine on Ebay. These led bulbs are inexpensive.