Old 01-30-2017, 03:49 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Leaving charger breaker on

I have a 2007 2700 SE and I was reading my manual , It said CAUTION NEVER RUN ENGINE AND BATTERY CHARGER AT THE SAME TIME.... what does that mean? I have been running my boat with the " battery charger" breaker on...have I damaged anything ??

Vegas guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #2

It means, shut the breaker off to the battery charger before you start the boat. The alternator is sending a charge to the battery when the engine is running. They don't want the alternator and the charger both attempting to charge the battery simultaneously. Also, I suspect the spike in voltage when the alternator is charging could confuse the battery charger.

Normally, I would disconnect the shore power before starting the engine. I typically shut all the breakers, including the mains, before I disconnect the shore cord. Then I start the engine.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
Admiral

When I do my middle of the week start up I have never turned off the charger breaker and even when I get ready to go on a trip. I let the engines get up to operating temp then I start dropping breakers and the disconnect the shore power cords. I have never had any problems.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I also do as Roger. I start with shore power on and breakers on.The battery charger has never given me a problem, other than replacing one after about 8yrs.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #5

I left the breaker for the battery charger on a couple of times. Admittedly, no damage. Interestingly, it popped a 20A breaker (on the panel for the outlet) once when I was up on shore and starting it with muffs on during spring commissioning. The other times when I've accidentally done it on the dock with a 30a circuit. That 30A breaker didn't pop. I noticed how much stronger the boat starts with the battery charger on. The charger is pushing amperage into the battery as the starter is drawing.

One thing I consider is whether I'm starting the boat with the assistance of shorepower. I like the reassurance that the boat started on its own. If it doesn't, I want to know on the way out.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:11 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Thanks all !!!!

Vegas guy is offline   Reply With Quote