Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Learning the hardway

Many of us have bought boats without the original manuals and even with the manuals, many are generic, not specific to your boat. Case in point: My batteries kept going dead. They both checked great with a load tester but as they were 2 years old, I changed the cranking battery. Next time I went to start the boat, both were dead. I kept blaming the CO monitor. A year later after I installed a 8D commercial truck battery as a house battery. A week later i went into the cabin and heard something running. Yep, what I thought was a 120 V refrigerator was actually a dual voltage system with the DC wired direct to battery switch. The refrigerator had been running my batteries down for a year. All I had to do was turn the thermostat off in the fridge. I had only heard it run before when on shore power. I wished I would of found the Maxum Owners Forum when I bought the boat.

Life's too short to drink warm beer!

SRPATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Captain

yes, the kids are good for leaving lights on in odd places, and the duel frig, I leave mind off, and only run in it a few times a year to keep it working.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Lt. JG

The frig on our 3200SCR has a switch on the front panel, under the door, to turn it off and on. But I am surprised that your frig is wired straight to the battery. The DC on ours is wired into the fuse panel (the AC is wired through a breaker on the AC panel). Should be able to just pull that fuse and leave it on, so it kicks on whenever you are connected to shore power.
ezcurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Lieutenant

There is a fuse in the main fuse panel. I just didn't know it was there. That's a good idea to pull it as i never use the DC.
SRPATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Lt. JG

I had to do that for my shower sump, which is always on now (when the fuse is in). One of these days I have to get in there and fix that. The joys of boat ownership! Actually makes for good therapy - when it has been a tough week I go rewire something!
ezcurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
Captain

well, the mercaftor is always on to, carbamoxide detector, so, who knows what else is energized...
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Lt. JG

I'm a new maxum owner and the same thing happen to me with the fridge draining the battery when we were underway. I didn't realize it till i searched the Maxum Forum and found out this was a common problem. This site is the best. Now if you can help me figure out where the toilet "blue flush liquid" is? I can't figure it out and keep a gallon full of water in the head to help with the flush....there has to be a better way!
piermontmaxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Admiral

piermontmaxum, start a new thread for the toilet question. Also define what you mean by "blue flush liquid"

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #9

This means that you are either not plugged into shore power or not leaving your battery charger circuit running. How do you restore amperage to the 8D house battery without a battery charger?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote