Old 05-27-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Keel Guard

Hi Maxum family,

Last weekend we were able to splash our 2300 SR for the first time this season here in Northern Idaho. There is a lot of timber floating around at this time of year and I found a floating log on my first outing! Not much damage, my SS prop (high five) only had scuff marks on it thank goodness and I only have a little gel coat chip on the bow - an easy fix. I feel pretty lucky and no vibration.

Anyway, a friend of mine mentioned I should look at a keel guard for the boat. I like to do things myself, but there are many choices. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Thanks,
Andrew

Ampostell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Admiral

I have only heard of folks using the original keel guard product and have been happy with it but this product is to protect the keel when beaching the boat. I guess if you are only doing 6 knots it will protect from hitting a log.

My bigger concern would be stress or damage to the outdrive. While your SS prop survived the stress of it hitting the log got transferred into the outdrive and may cause damage.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Mike and yes, it is still a concern about the outdrive and I will keep my insurance agents number on standby! We ran it for about 2 hours after we hit the log and it seemed to be "ok". I say it that way because I am not a mechanic.
Ampostell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Admiral

Welcome aboard...as a suggestion you might want to drain or if nothing else just open then bottom screw on your out drive to see if you have water mixed in with your green out drive fluid. If you do have water inside the color will be a milky brown in color and you have a problem.....welcome to boating. I would also get your prop off and get it checked for warpage and balance. An out of balanced prop can tear up outdrive gears very easily.

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

A keel guard won't protect you against an errant log. It's a sacrificial rubber skid guard that covers the keel and 2" (inches) to each side. It is for day boats that beach to prevent the sand and rocks from gouging the fiberglass keel.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel guard