Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Just wanted to say hello....new owner.

I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I recently sold a couple of jet skis and decided to try out the boat scene around northern colorado. I purchased a 1995 1800 SR with the 4.3L Vortec motor. Interior is near perfect, garage kept its whole life. Boat has 180 hours on it. Unfortunately I didn't really get any service history with the sale. Its also missing the rear most canvas cover. I have a local boat shop that hooks me up and did some maintenance for me including replacing the water pump in the I/O, changed the gear oil and had the gimble bearing/bellows inspected. We found a leak in the plastic fitting that goes through the rear of the hull and connects to the I/O assembly. It looks like when someone installed the hose when they installed the shower line they over torqued the hose and really crushed this plastic fitting. It kind of looks like the hose is too large for the nipple. Not sure if I am explaining this correctly, and I am sorry. Any experience in installing the shower kit? Do you replace this hose this hose when you install the shower pump? Thanks for the help guys.

Flyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Welcome Flyingfish.
replace it, dont take a chance!

rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Admiral

Flyingfish, welcome aboard.

Does the hose penetrate the transom above or below the water line? Should be above. Can you post a picture? Any leak should be fixed.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #4

Welcome Aboard, Flyingfish!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Ensign

I replaced my fresh water inlet hose that connects to the power steering cooler. Now the boat has another large leak. Leaks pretty good while floating on the water. All bellows have been checked. My leak feels like it is dead center of the motor. Feels like the water is leaking from the coupler cover area. I can feel the half circle shape of the cover. My mechanic thinks the Y-pipe has a hole in the casting. Any chance that a freeze plug is leaking on the back side of the motor? Doesn't seem to leak too bad while cruising around, but as soon as I float water is squirting pretty good. Any thoughts guys?
Flyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Admiral

The engines rear freeze plug will leak more with the engine running and with higher rpm. Since it is leaking sitting still (didn't say whether engine is on or not) can you get a mirrow to see where the leak is? If engine is off then Y pipe may be the cause. But the drive bellows could also be it. You said inspected but not replaced. After 5 years they become hard and develop small cracks. I am betting it's the bellows as the y pipe would need to have been hit or a defect in it to leak, low probability.

Also when moving a void is created at the back of the boat lowering water pressure on the bellows while the y pipe will have exhaust and hot water in it still.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote