Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Introduction - Questions

Hello Fellow Maxum Owners:

Well, it is about time I introduce myself. Seapuppy kind enough to answer a few quesitons and send me over here. Been lurking, but figured I would write an intro - especially since I am on wireless broadband on the boat right now.

We bought this 2001 2700 SCR in November and keep it slipped at Lake Mead. So far, so good (relatively). This is our first boat owned, but my wife and I have operated National Park Service boats in the past and have Coast-Guard certifications for operating fed boats.

We love the boat, but have had a few problems with the shop that sold it to us, long story that can be found on iboats if you like...

Wife and I are both "water" people for our careers (chemist and toxicologist), so a boat was a natural fit. One 2.5 year old son who so far enjoys getting away to the boat.

I have enjoyed the site, and especially reading about home-made modifications. Our greatest logistical frustration is where to keep the wooden boards and pads for the v-berth and sun deck lounger/bed. Any clever ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doc

Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo.....Glad I can help...

SP irate:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Lieutenant

I put the boards in the storage area under the dining bench seat. They will fit once you figure out how to put them in. I usually put bedding material under and around them to keep them from bouncing.

I still haven't figured out where to put those cushions, however. Let me know if you find a good solution.
Ticamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticamo
I put the boards in the storage area under the dining bench seat. They will fit once you figure out how to put them in. I usually put bedding material under and around them to keep them from bouncing.

I still haven't figured out where to put those cushions, however. Let me know if you find a good solution.
WoW, do you have a 2700 SCR? I am hoping to make it down to the boat this afternoon. I want to check the lines after our big windstorm today. I will have a look. That would be an IDEAL storage solution, but it is hard for me to envision the largest piece going down there. I will give it a shot though....
Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Yes, I have a 2003 2700, which I believe is identical in most respects to your 2001. I keep my boards under the starboard side bench seat. It took me a few tries to figure out how to get them in there, but they do fit. The space is plenty big, the trick is just getting them through the opening.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Wow, I am excited about trying this. I did not make it to the boat last night, but almost certainly will tonight.

I will post my results.

THANKS!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Admiral

hey tic..can you post a picture of your set up??....I can't figure out how you did it by the description....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Unfortunately I live 2 hours from my boat, which is now shrinkwrapped, so it will take a while to get any pictures up. I promise to do it this spring, however.

I will say, the key to getting the boards in the under bench storage is just to get the right angle.

Now, I still haven't found a good solution for the table itself, or for the cushions. Usually I just put the table on the floor under the v-berth. If anyone has a good solution for that I would love to hear it too.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Yeah, I tried it tonight and could not get it to work. wasn't sure how to get the largest piece down therer!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Until I can post pictures, I will describe it the best I can -- but keep in mind it has been a few months.

You have to start with the biggest piece first. It won't work it you put a small piece in first.

Stand facing the starboard side bench storage area, holding the largest board with the curved edge toward your belly. (For some reason I think it only worked on the starboard side of my boat.) Tilt the board up, so the flat of the board makes a 45 degree angle with your body. Start by lowering the right hand corner of the curved edge into the storage area, pushing it all the way in to the right corner of the storage area and still keeping the flat of the board on a 45 degree angle. Then, still keeping the entire board on a 45 degree angle, bring the left hand corned of the curved edge down.

You should be there with the curved edge of the board resting in the storage area, and the shorter, flat edge sticking up because of the 45 degree angle. Make sure the curved edge is as far to the wall of the storage area as possible and the board is as far to the back of the board as possible, and you should be able to lower the straight edge down into the opening -- i.e., going from the 45 degree angle to flat.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Thanks for the explanation. I will certainly give it a try, but when I used intuition it failed myserably. It is still hard to imagine how that largest piece will go in, but I will give it another shot when I am on board next weekend.

Cheers.