Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Commander

Default In need of insurance

So this winter I had a claim (about $4k) paid by Travelers Insurance. We have used them for 4 years, and always pay the policy in full with one payment. I just got a letter from them saying they are canceling my policy in May and will not renew it "due to recent claims". They made us open two claims at the time the work was being done because the second claim was not discovered until they opened everything up and discovered it. I asked them if this could just be added to the claim I filed and they said it needed to be a separate claim. WTF!?

Well, Travelers is not only losing my boat policy, they are now losing my home, and two auto policies.

Anybody recommend an ETHICAL insurer?

rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenwell8962 View Post
d an ETHICAL insurer?
Surely you jest, talk about an oxymoron.............

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Default I just left Travelers too

I just left Travelers after 7 years. Switched my marine,auto and home owners insurance elsewhere. The problem I had with them was they continually raised my rates despite never having a claim. My Allstate guy recommended Global Marine Insurance Agency (A1 rating). My premium is less with better coverage. It kicks in later this month so it's too soon to give an opinion. Good luck...
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
Lieutenant

I use BoatUS. They provide their insurance through CNA. I had my boat insured through Nationwide, but found the coverage better with BoatUS for about half the premium.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
Admiral

I have my 2 cars...home....boat...(past boats too)...and million dollar rider from State farm...I've had them for over 24 yrs and they have always taken care of me...I've had a few claims...one from my home where the toilet water line let loose in the middle of the nite....about 13k later..I had a new first floor....we came down to 2" of water in my family room...they paid everything and didn't blink.....
when I first got my 340..we went on a week long vacation..I accidently touched another bow on a tolley craft boat...I had my bow checked out...no damage...about a yr and a few months later I get this letter I'm being sued by the tolley owner for damage sustained from our collision..(WTF???...WHAT DAMAGE!!)...I contacted my ins. agent...told her what happened...she told the guy to prove it was me that caused his water damage.....I don't mind paying for what I do...but not after a yr and a few months..they told him several times thru letters and phone calls....the burden of proof is on your shoulders....got anything???....no....???...

so...I've been really happy with my agent....after 15 yrs...she's been there....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Commander

Like a good neighboor, right SP? I too have State Farm for the last 16 years and have nothing but good luck in the insurance department. Give your local agent a call.
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Rich - Farmers played a similar game with us a few years back - we had been customers for 25 years and this was my first claim. I still get a snail mail from them once a month stating "they would love to have us back" and I have to chuckle. Riiight.

We moved the cars/house/moto-toys to Progressive and saved a considerable amount on money for the same coverage. The marine policy however was a much better deal through BoatUS, even while separate. We also setup a discounted policy for Vessel Assist (towing) through the BoatUS site. Worth looking into.

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #8

I have heard good things about Progessive. I've had issues with denial of a claim from The Hartford. I'm currently looking at Progressive and Boat US myself. Both are requiring a new survey, so once that is completed, I will see who has the best premium rates for similar coverage.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Our boat is also insured with Progressive. Cannot comment on customer service thou because we've made no claims at this point, but I have heard some not so flattering comments about them. But, to be fair, I've heard unflattering comments about all the major Ins. Co's - except Boat US.

That's interesting, Shrew, about them requiring a survey - I wonder if it depends on the type/size of the boat. When I signed up with Progressive they did not require a survey at all.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Admiral

it's mainly yr.....the older the boat...the more likely an insurance company will require a survey...or it might be because it's financed.....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Commander

Its a 2001, and not financed. Travelers can kiss my ass. I am pulling my two car policies as well as my house policy. If this were a medical claim it would be criminal. What a bunch of sh$#%heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
it's mainly yr.....the older the boat...the more likely an insurance company will require a survey...or it might be because it's financed.....

SP
Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
Commander

UPDATE
"We sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding that may have occurred. At the time of this filing, we were not aware that we held multiple lines (house, 2 cars). We are rescinding the cancellation on your boat policy immediately."

Makes me even more comfortable that they did their due diligence to see how many of my polices they held before sending me a letter.

Too late assholes!
See ya later Travelers!!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
Admiral

wow..nice of them to reconcider......not...
head for the hills....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
Commander

My first call was to a good friend who is my insurance broker. Pricing all my policies out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
wow..nice of them to reconcider......not...
head for the hills....

SP
Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #15

I own the title free and clear. I suspect the reason is I am trying to raise the value of the policy and it is a 1997 model.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

When we switched from our Maxum to Carver last summer, we made a deal with the seller that for 5k less than his lowest price, we'd take the boat the next week not pending any survey (after having completely gone over the boat and building in the possibility of one new engine). We specifically insured with Progressive last summer on our new-to-us Carver because they didn't ask for a survey. It was a few hundred dollars higher than the rest, so this spring we'll probably get a 'basic insurance survey,' and re-shop for cheaper insurance. The only reason we won't go with Boat US insurance is because they mandate using their on-water towing coverage. Near us Sea Tow dominates, so we don't want to switch. We're also open to economical suggestions.