Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default how to fix hull

hello, i have a 2006 1800mx and the hull is damaged, during the summer i went camping for two weeks and we constantly used the boat, there was no dock so i had to beach it and now because of the constant beaching it sanded down the point on the bottom of my hull, my question is if there a way i can fix this to make it look original again?

thanks

twistable_deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #2

Hi TD. Yes it is absolutely fixable. Will it look like NEW again? Maybe, that depends on the extent of the damage and how good a job the glasser does. I can tell you that, if you've gone through the gelcoat, this is no longer a cosmetic repair and should be taken care of before the boat is heavily used again. Believe it or not, fiberglass is not really all that water proof. If you are through the gelcoat and down to fiberglass, water can work it's way in and start causing problems. The longer you wait and the more water works its way in the more costly the eventual repair.

There are some forums out there (which will remain nameless) where the guys will say they;ve been beaching for years and it's no big deal. However the same forum members will recommend cinder block anchors, amongst a myriad of other bad advice. Beaching a boat is not good for a boat, particularly a fiberglass one. If you MUST, then I suggest installing a Keel Guard. I'd prefer to see the boat moored, anchored or trailored.

If you have some pics, that would help too.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Lt. JG

so is this a job i could do or should i get a professional to do it?

thanks
twistable_deer is offline   Reply With Quote