Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Ensign

Default How many hours should I expect to get out of a motor?

Hi everyone, I'm new and looking to purchase a 2004 2700 SE. This will be my first boat so I have a few questions. It has 560 hours on the 5.0 motor. Is that a lot? Any thoughts on how many hours they usually get? It's also pretty faded from the sun. Is there any way I can buff it back to that shinny finish? Does anyone have a list of all available options and prices when it was new. I'm in Canada and they are asking 45000 with a new double axle trailer. Any thoughts on what it's worth. Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm a rookie

LOTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Admiral

First welcome aboard!

How many hours is a varaible, was it used in fresh or salt water, open or closed cooling, maintained properly???

Assuming salt water this engine should last 1000 - 2000 hours. At 560 it is most likely time to replace the exhaust manifolds and elbows as these are water cooled for operating in confined space. You are looking at ~$500 for aftermarket and ~ $800 for mercruiser parts.

Also the raw water impeller (rubber) has ~ 2year life to avoid issues (can last longer but at $50 forthe parts not worth the gamble IMO).If you have an Alpha outdrive it's located in the middle of the unit, if you have a bravo it's mounted on the lower starboard side of the engine (right facing forward).

Depending on how faded it may need a light sanding wit 1000 to 2000 grit paper, rubbing compond, polishing compond, wax. Start at the end and work your way back, i.e. wax if not good enough the polish, ...

Regarding valve of the boat try ebay or yachtworld.com

Good luck and keep us posted your adventure, hopefully all fair seas

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Admiral

Hey Mr Rookie..... we all have been there! Get a mechanical survey done on this boat before you even think about buying this boat.A survey will answer alot of your questions. It will cost you but worth it.

Google those questions of yours you will be surprised how easy you will get answers to all your questions. Plus you have a forum like this to help.

Have fun

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Lieutenant

The best $450 I ever spent for a survey on a 30' Sea Ray. It basicly said to avoid an old boat with old bellows, corroded drives and moist fiberglass.
AlwaysSober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Admiral

Yes a survey is a great suggestion for someone with know experience and even for use with it.

What AlwaysSober mentioned is a general survey that will check the condition of the boat (hull sound, lights, ...), what Roger recommended (which is in line with your question) is to have the drivetrain (engine and outdrive) checked by a special survey (most can not perform this) who will check just the condition of the drive train.

Both are good to do if you don't know anything about boats or engines. It may cost as much as $1200 for both but having a rebuilt engine installed is $5000.

PS: if he boat is at a dealer don't use his survery go find your own who will only have your interest in mind.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Lieutenant

As all have said the survey both structural and mechanical is a good idea. The mechanical survey tends to be straight forward with things like observing fluid quality, a compression test, listening to the engine and drive train while idling and under way or at least on the muffs. This can be done by a good marine mechanic.
The structural survey is typically a different person and I have had my share of poor surveys. Make sure they are accredited and at minimum should show up on www.navsurvey.com. It's rare you will find a perfect used boat so weigh each comment within the context of "typical wear" or normal for the age.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
Lieutenant

A surveyor that is affiliated with SAMS LIST in my experience is very reputable. Like already said ,some surveys are not worth the paper they are printed on.
Timer

timer is offline   Reply With Quote