Old 04-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Hot Water heater problems

We had a hot water heater leaking last year, so in May I replaced it with a Seaward F1100 that I purchased from West Marine. In December when I was winterizing the water lines, I noticed antifreeze coming out of the heater. I pulled it out since the heat exchanger was leaking. I installed it this April when we de-winterized the boat. That night as I was finishing cleaning up, I noticed more antifreeze coming from the water heater. I checked the clamps, then lifted the heater up and had a very steady drip coming out! I couldn't believe it. West Marine said they would have another one the next day. Replaced that one with another F1100. Installed that one and everything seemed fine. I still haven't started the engines yet. I went back down to the boat several days later, lifted the stairs and couldn't believe what I saw. More antifreeze!!!! Yep, #3 leaking also!!!! Now my call to West Marine wasn't nearly as nice as the last 3. Then I was informed that they no longer are selling the Seaward brand. Thanks for that info. They replaced it with a West Marine brand they just started carrying. It's been in 2 days and so far no signs of leakage. Hopefully this one will hold up better than the Seawards. I know some people have good luck with the brand, but it'll never be on my boat again!!! On the bright side, if anyone needs any tips installing a water heater in a 4100 sca, Just drop me a line.

Paul MacLeod
Celtic Dream

Celtic Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Lt. JG

Sorry to hear all the trouble you had Paul but good to see they came thru with one for you. Lets hope it is trouble free from here on end for you. Bet you could install those water heaters with your eyes closed now eh.

A Little Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Captain

you do know there is a white plastic drain down valve on the side of the water heater to drain it?

this drains the fresh water and it will dump in the bilge after every season.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Yes, I do know about the drain. The problem was not fresh water leaking, it was antifreeze from the port engine heat exchanger in the water heater. So far, so good with the West Marine Brand. Lost 2 gallons between all the changing of the heaters. Now topped off and all appears ok. Thanks for your replies!!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #5

When I repowered a few years ago, I didn't reconnect the engine to the hotwater heater specifically to avoid that problem. We weekend. We go out on Sat. morning and come back on Sunday afternoon. The hot water heater keeps the water hot for the entire time. Otherwise, we run it off of the honda 2k. The hotwater heater doesn't usually need more than 15 min.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Lt. JG

That was my next option. Even when we anchor out for long weekends, the generator powers the water heater while we shower. Then we shut down the heater till the next day. Again, still so far so good