Old 09-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Here's a tuff one

I have a factory full canvas cover on my newly bought 1997 1700. Does anyone have a clue if the same frame will be used for a bimini top? The canvas snaps onto the front windshield way too low to double as a sun shade and looks to be only to weather out a bad storm or keep bugs out at night. So not too sure a bimini cover will ride high enough. Ive tried to compair part numbers but can locate oem numbers to compair the two.
Thanks in advance

par4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:11 AM   #2
Admiral

Most are......you might have an aftermarket combo thing going on . Try to zip all your front and sides to the Bimini just to see how far it is off. Next see if you can adjust the Bimini to make thing fit. If that doesn't work call your canvas guy for some winter work at a discount. If you go that route you get exactly what you want and not something that is 20 years old.

Good luck

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:11 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Most are......you might have an aftermarket combo thing going on . Try to zip all your front and sides to the Bimini just to see how far it is off. Next see if you can adjust the Bimini to make thing fit. If that doesn't work call your canvas guy for some winter work at a discount. If you go that route you get exactly what you want and not something that is 20 years old.

Good luck

Roger
I dont have a bimini cover, only a full canvas and frame. I want to buy just a bimini cover but not sure the bimini cover will fit my existing frame. I will continue to research.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2015, 03:38 AM   #4
Admiral

I see......got that one backwards��

Well first that looks like your Bimini with a camper back not a boat cover. The Bimini attaches to the top of the windshield? If so because of the small size of your boat that is how they look.

If you don't like it start from scratch. You need a bow to stern trailing cover which requires no frame. You might need a adjustable pole and that can be ordered from overtons and very reasonable. Then look into a Bimini of whatever size you want and if you go with just that overtons has them also. They will show you how to measure for it. Or go the custom route.

I hope I have explained your option correctly.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:56 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
I see......got that one backwards��

Well first that looks like your Bimini with a camper back not a boat cover. The Bimini attaches to the top of the windshield? If so because of the small size of your boat that is how they look.

If you don't like it start from scratch. You need a bow to stern trailing cover which requires no frame. You might need a adjustable pole and that can be ordered from overtons and very reasonable. Then look into a Bimini of whatever size you want and if you go with just that overtons has them also. They will show you how to measure for it. Or go the custom route.

I hope I have explained your option correctly.

Roger
Yes you explained it spot on. It is a one piece canvas cover that snaps to the top of the windshield frame. Triagular, clear side windows snap into the place and the rear corners and back side snap around the boat. Owner stated it was oem and never installed. Frankly I was thinking it would have been a combo sun shade/ full cabin enclosure but it will not convert to anything but what you see and very difficult to use while operating the boat. Hence its useless to me unless the frame will accept a sun shade bimini cover
Old 09-11-2015, 04:23 AM   #6
Ensign

I just saw the error in my original post. I have a full canvas CABIN cover, not a full cover.
While my boat included a custom boat cover I was referring to my cabin cover frame and wanting to thread a bimini sun cover in the current cabin cover frame. Thanks Roger you have been very patient and helpfull