Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Help with adding water connections from Engine to hot water tank.

Hi everyone.

I would like to add the hose connections from my motor (94 5.7l) to the hot water tank. Presently it never had this plumbed in. The hot water tank has the connections for it, but the motor has never had this added. Looking to see if anyone has a picture of their install? My boat is a 2400 SCR. I have a general idea of where around the water pump and thermostat area things would go, just not sure of the correct ports. I looked online for some diagrams and they indeed explain it with diagrams, but hard to really interpret them at times.

Any help would be great.
Thxs!
Alain

arichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
Admiral

The supply should come from the intake manifold of you engine which is near the t-stat housing and on the starboard side. The return needs to be on the suction side of the circulating pump.

I'll see if I have a good picture to post.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:17 AM   #3
Admiral

If you have shore power might think about just adding the electrical connection and make it an electrical water heater. Alot of horror stories with hoses, connections failing and you toast the engine.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Lt. JG

The water heater is already hooked up to breaker panel for power. Works great when docked but when I am out for a few days on the water it would be nice to be able to run it off the engine. I have a genset but would rather not use it if I do not need to.

As for problems with the hoses and connections, I would think that the risk would be lowered by regular maintenance throughout the season. Anything that would cause a problem should be caught early while doing this. I am in fresh water only and get about 5 months of boating.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
The supply should come from the intake manifold of you engine which is near the t-stat housing and on the starboard side. The return needs to be on the suction side of the circulating pump.

I'll see if I have a good picture to post.
That would be great if you found a pic! Thxs
Old 06-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichard View Post
The water heater is already hooked up to breaker panel for power. Works great when docked but when I am out for a few days on the water it would be nice to be able to run it off the engine. I have a genset but would rather not use it if I do not need to.

As for problems with the hoses and connections, I would think that the risk would be lowered by regular maintenance throughout the season. Anything that would cause a problem should be caught early while doing this. I am in fresh water only and get about 5 months of boating.
If it's an on-board genny, then I assume it would be quieter, use less fuel, and generate less heat than running the main for heating water. Besides, don't you need to periodically top off the batteries?

Everyone I know runs the genny a few hours a day.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
If it's an on-board genny, then I assume it would be quieter, use less fuel, and generate less heat than running the main for heating water. Besides, don't you need to periodically top off the batteries?

Everyone I know runs the genny a few hours a day.
Hi,

It isn't. It's a small one I take out if needed and I put it on the rear swim platform. Honestly very rare I take it out to use. Running the boat and moving around from spot to spot gives my batteries a small charge. I have a large enough house bank which works great for me. (3 batteries)
Old 06-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Here are the two points of entry to the motor that I believe are used for the hot water tank. Took the pictures yesterday. Does this look familiar to anyone?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #9
Admiral

Yep first picture would supply coolant to the water heater and the second picture is for the return.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote