Old 10-26-2017, 02:56 AM   #51
Lt. JG

Great Question Mike,
My 7.4L is carbureted and I left out a couple of steps, I stabilized the remaining 3 gals of lake fuel prior to adding PINK and fogging the engine until it stalled out. Then I topped of the tank and added more stabilizer prior to the shrink wrap going on.

I have never actually removed the plugs and sprayed fogging oil into the plug wells. I always thought fogging the engine down and adding stabilizer to the fuel protected the inside of the engine and cylinder walls.

MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:13 AM   #52
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRiver View Post
Great Question Mike,
My 7.4L is carbureted and I left out a couple of steps, I stabilized the remaining 3 gals of lake fuel prior to adding PINK and fogging the engine until it stalled out. Then I topped of the tank and added more stabilizer prior to the shrink wrap going on.

I have never actually removed the plugs and sprayed fogging oil into the plug wells. I always thought fogging the engine down and adding stabilizer to the fuel protected the inside of the engine and cylinder walls.
Yep what you did is good. No need to fog plugs the fogging oil is to coat valves and cylinder walls.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #53
Lt. JG

Thanks, I do have another question concerning the fuel filter. I typically leave the old filter on until spring and then put fresh fuel in a new filter and replace prior to starting for the first time. I have never had a problem doing it this way, but I have heard and read that many owners/ boat mech replace the fuel filter during winterizing. Thoughts?

Doug
Old 10-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #54
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks, I do have another question concerning the fuel filter. I typically leave the old filter on until spring and then put fresh fuel in a new filter and replace prior to starting for the first time. I have never had a problem doing it this way, but I have heard and read that many owners/ boat mech replace the fuel filter during winterizing. Thoughts?

Doug
I think either way is ok but I replace mine when I winterize. You said you topped off the fuel tank so changing it in the spring with fresh fuel in it really does nothing. Since you have already winterized I would just wait till spring.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #55

Quote:
I think as long as you add stabilizer to the fuel and run enough to get it into the fuel filter and lines, I think it is fine to do either. I typically do mine in the fall at the same time as my oil and oil filter change. If there is any water in there, I want it out of there prior to storage.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:12 AM   #56
Lt. JG

Getting the water out of the system is the key. I guess I have always thought water and other particles would settle in the fuel filter over the winter. Therefore replacing the filter in the spring would help remove those elements. I could be crazy, but it has served me well over my boating years.