Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Send a message via AIM to jblack1036
Default Has anyone renamed their boat???

I purchased my boat a couple of years back and never really liked the name much "BOBBER". I was wondering if anyone has ever renamed their boat. Is it really a bad thing to do??? I love this boat and the family and I have had a blast on it in the short time we have had it. I sure don't want "MURPHY" coming around just because I don't like the name. I'll be putting in this coming spring at Rough River and I was wanting to change the name to something a little more identifiable to me. Any comments are welcome.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Commander

Cool name

Bad luck???? but you could add to it??????

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Admiral

of course you can rename it....just pay proper homage to king neptune ...you can google "boat renaming ceremony" of some derivative of that title and it should come up with the proper ceremony...then..have a capt (we saw a great actor type) perform the ceremony and he was hilarious.......

have fun with it and take lotsa pic's...be fun to see how yours goes...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Lieutenant

You will be doing the boat a favor. That is how I justified renaming mine.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Captain

hello mr black.....

my 1th boat was a ; wooden speedboat

my 2th ; eco fiber speedboat

my 3th ; fletcher speedboat

my 4th ; maxum 16 ft speedboat

my 5th ; glasstream 18 ft speedboat

my 6th ; maxum 18ft speedboat

my 7th ; chaparral 20ft cuddy speedboat

my 8th ; starcraft 20ft cuddy speedboat

my 9th ; bayliner 2355 cruiser

my 10th ; bayliner 2855 cruiser

my 11th ; sea ray 160 speedboat

my 12th; mariah 215 davanti cuddy speedboat

my 13th; maxum 1800 sr3 speedboat

my 14th; maxum 2400 sc3 cuddy speedboat

so sorry i can't help you with renaming a boat......i never had the time to give my boat a name..........befor i could, i already bought a new one (crazy me)

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #6

I renamed mine. When I was in the process of removing the old name, I noticed the previous owner had renamed it as well. My boat is on it's third name. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Superstition is a funny thing. Some say it is belief that powers superstition. Some say it is fate. If it is belief then why doesn't it work for the lottery or cancer? If it's fate, then why do new boats sink?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Get on your new boat grab a beer and a glass of Champaign for her, explain to her that you want her to be part of the family and your will take care of her and a name change will be a good step to a family bonding and also let her know that she can call you by what ever name she chooses
Than take her out, lissom for any noises from her (that may be your new name) if every thing goes well proceed with the name change THAT SHOULD DO IT
Tony
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

It's considered bad luck if you've named it once while owning it, then change the name. It isn't considered bad luck to change the name from the one that you inherited. That's all if you're superstitious to start with. We changed the name of our Maxum in June, and it was so lucky that we had her sold in 2 weeks at a decent price
Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Lt. JG

We renamed our boat in june of this yr. all the people on our dock came for the ceremony, if do a google search for renaming a boat you will find a few out there. Some involve reciting a few verses others verses and champange . So far no bad luck. I will try to post pics this weekend.
kenpo262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Great comments from all. I plan to do some work to her over the winter and buff away the old name. Don't know if I will have a big renaming bash but she will sure enough get a new name. Something along the lines of "Layed Back", "Drifter", or "Almost There".

Thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblack1036 View Post
Something along the lines of "Layed Back", "Drifter", or "Almost There".

Thanks
The old 'Lie vs. Lay" compunded with past tense and past participle. Hopefully there's an English major/teacher who might be able to clarify.

To LIE: (Intransitive Verb) - "To recline" or "be placed." It does not act on anything or anyone else.
Present Tense: Lie; Lying
Past Tense: Lay
Past Participle: (Have/Has/Had ) Lain

To LAY (Transitive Verb) - "To place something down." It is something you do to something else.
Present Tense: Lay; Laying
Past Tense: Laid
Past Participle: (Have/Has/Had) Laid

So long story short, "Lay Back" or "Lain Back" is probably grammatically more accurate, but sounds horrible. "Laid Back" would probably be more accurately spelled, but would infer that someone or something did the act of laying you (the noun) back, however it would get less question or criticism. Personally, I'd go with "Laid Back" since ultimately 'Layed' is not a word.

BTW- I'm not trying to being nit-picky. (honestly, I'm not). The boat isn't named yet, and if it were me, I'd rather have someone tell me ahead of time to my face, than have 50 people laugh behind my back after the name is on. I've seen many improperly spelled boat names (Not spoofs like Searenity, but actual mispellings) and tattoos and wouldn't wish that on anyone.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
Ensign

......just don't do it on a friday,espically if it's the 13th, dont walk under any ladders that might be at the marina, and if a black cat runs in front of you and you trip and land on a mirror and break it, then the writing is on the wall!!!!!! lol!!!!
swampy2646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Shrew and Swampy2646

Shrew, the "Layed Back" was meant to do just that. cause confusion and laughs. It's all good. However, I"m leaning more toward "Almost There". I did enjoy your "Nit-picking" so to speak.....LOL.....I was never any good with my english......

Swampy2646, well, I don't plan to walk under any ladders but I do own an all "Black" cat who will spend time on the boat with us. How's that for pushing the waters........