Old 06-08-2016, 02:40 AM   #21
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboats1 View Post
Your a good man Mike. If I ever get to Maryland I would be honored to buy you an adult beverage.
Works for me.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #22
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Electric pumps do not like to pull fuel, they like to push it. I am assuming when you set up your temp fuel supply the can was higher than the pump and the pump just couldn't generate enough suction to draw fuel through the empty fuel line. The primer bulb might have helped prime the line and pump - which is probably why the previous owner installed it in the first place as a band aid.

Yes, the pumps can simply wear out.

As for the no power to the pump issue, I'd guess there is a either a relay or a fuse somewhere on the positive wire to the pump, but it may not be right near the pump.

As Mike said the oil pressure switch interrupts power to the pump if oil pressure is lost. However, since this is a carb'd engine, the engine would still run for a short time because there would still be fuel in the carb bowl. In other words here's the scenario - assuming everything is working properly: turn key to start position, fuel pump runs and fills carb, engine starts. If there is no OP after engine starts the pump is shut down but the engine will still run for a short time because of the fuel in the carb.

So at this point in your trouble shooting I think you can ignore the oil pressure switch for now.

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #23
Lieutenant

Thank you for the advice SS. I went ahead today and bit the bullet and ordered the correct fuel pump. I was putting it off but since I dont even know if he installed the correct pump, I need to replace it.

To make sure I understand, in normal working conditions, with the key switch on the fuel pump will run until it fills the bowl and reaches it's set pressure?

I noticed a reset button on top of the engine but Im not sure what it's for. Also, I checked all the fuses and they were good. I believe it has to be something simple, because power was getting to the pump before I started messing with everything.
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #24
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicklebok View Post
To make sure I understand, in normal working conditions, with the key switch on the fuel pump will run until it fills the bowl and reaches it's set pressure?
On a carb'd engine I don't know. But on my FI'd engine that's exactly what it does. I turn the key to Run, the pump runs and pressurizes the fuel lines then stops, I turn the key to Start and it starts. Mike, will know since his is carb'd also, as will others here.

Quote:
I noticed a reset button on top of the engine but Im not sure what it's for. Also, I checked all the fuses and they were good. I believe it has to be something simple, because power was getting to the pump before I started messing with everything.
Mine also has a reset button, it's for the all the electrical bits on the engine. The breaker on yours will be for the engine. Definitely see if you can push that button in. If you can, it means it was tripped.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #25
Admiral

Here is the wiring diagram that shows where the power for the pump comes from, you need to verify these sources are working.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Merc electric fuel pump operation.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	4636

Mike
Old 06-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #26
Lieutenant

Thank you so much for the help Mike and Dan. I have been working on this boat so much I have neglected a lot of other things around the house. Im sure you guys know the feeling! LOL

If I get get the fire to the fuel pump problem resolved I can take a break for a few days until some new parts are delivered. :-)
Old 06-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #27
Lieutenant

Thanks for the help guys! I chased down the purple and yellow wire and it wasnt even on the starter. It had to have been just laying on the starter connector when I bought the boat.

Once I connected it I spun the motor over and I was getting about 9 volts at the fuel pump connector. Hope thats ok.

Im gonna wait til the new fuel pump and anti siphon valve come in before I put everything back together.

Thanks to you guys Im learning a lot about this new project so hopefully I can keep it going!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #28
Lieutenant

I also want to say that I have not worked anywhere near the starter since I got the boat. I truly believe that wire was just laying on the starter terminal when I bought it, and fell off the terminal shortly after I brought the boat home. Im wondering if the poor connection could have been causing all the fuel delivery problems the previous owner had.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #29
Lieutenant

Guess I may as well post a pic of what you guys have been helping me with.
Attached Thumbnails
Boat.jpg  
Old 06-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #30
Admiral

Nice looking boat but needs some cleaning.

Mike
Old 06-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #31
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Nice looking boat but needs some cleaning.
I have some On Off hull cleaner being delivered today
Old 06-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #32
Lieutenant

A couple of questions please.
I measured the voltage at the fuel pump again today with the starter spinning. It measure 9 volts again. Is that enough?

Also. I connected the purple/yellow wire to the post at the starter that also had a red/white? wire connected to it. It seemed to be the right place and that post is hot when the starter is spinning.

This engine is doing crazy things that it didnt do the day we took it for a test spin to buy it. I sometimes get a solonoid clicking when i try to engage the starter. Sounds like its coming from the top of the engine.

It also acts like the oil pressure sending unit is bad. It will run for about 30 secomds and shut off. Tomorrow i will jump those to connectors and see if it will keep running.

Thanks again!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:05 AM   #33
Admiral

The purple/ yellow wire should be on the small terminal across from the terminal that the red/white wire is on.

There is a slave soleniod on top of the engine that is engaged by the key ignition. It then provides power to the starter soleniod to close it. They go bad and the result is intermittent like you are having, replace it.

Not uncommon for the OP switch to go bad, yep try jumping around it but do not leave it that way replace it if you determine its bad.

Mike
Old 06-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #34
Lieutenant

You cant see all the connections in this pic, but I connected the purple/yellow to the same post as the red/yellow. Can you see where the purple/yellow is supposed to be connected and tell me where? I tried to look at photos and wiring diagrams on the net but havent found the answer yet. Thank you again!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2263.jpg  
Old 06-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #35
Lieutenant

Sorry, my photo isnt good enough to figure out. I looked at the wiring diagram again. The red/yellow wire goes to the slave solenoid and thats where I hooked the purple/yellow wire. It was when I hooked the purple/yellow wire to this terminal that I started having slave solenoid problems. That may be the reason the slave solenoid started acting up, because it never has done that previously.

When I get home I will get under there and have another look. I dont remember seeing any other small post to hook the purple/yellow wire to. I will confirm this when I get home this afternoon. Could be the wrong starter.

I really dont like some of these safety features a boat has. Definitely different than a car. The oil pressure/fuel pump feature is crazy to me.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #36
Admiral

Modern cars have these safety features and more.

Mike
Old 06-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #37
Lieutenant

Here's a better picture. I think I am missing a terminal on the starter solenoid. WHat do you think Mike?
Attached Thumbnails
starter.jpg  
Old 06-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #38
Admiral

Quote:
Here's a better picture. I think I am missing a terminal on the starter solenoid. WHat do you think Mike?

Typically there is a second small terminal but it should not matter as they both get the same voltage applied when the soleniod closes.

Mike
Old 06-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #39
Lieutenant

Just a quick update:

Installed OEM fuel lines and water pump yesterday from the water/fuel separator to the carb. Hoping to fire it up this afternoon to see if its fixed.

I still have the issue with the starter solenoid not having enough terminals for the purple/yellow wire, but Im gonna leave that problem be for now because I have no idea how to get to the starter to replace it. Looks like it would be quite a job due to limited access.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #40
Ensign

Have you looked at the connector on the end of the purple/yellow wire to see if the terminal broke off of the starter solenoid and is still in the connector?