Old 07-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #101
Lieutenant

I took the boat out today after setting the timing. Several issues I need to get resolved:

1. With the timing changed it will backfire thru the carb when reving the engine when cold. Once it gets warm its fine. Could an inoperable choke cause this?

2. If I idle along in a no wake zone, it will start to load up after several minutes. Could this be the idle mixture needing adjustment?

3. My power trim works but once it did not want to go up. I will read about servicing it.

Overall it did very well. I was able to do 44mph at 4,400 rpm with 2 people and a half a tank of gas. If i were to play with the trim I might could get it up a few mph. But I think thats pretty close to what it should do when new.

Heres a pic of my wife at the doc. She still rocks a bikini at 51 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #102
Admiral

1. I do not think this is a choke issue

2. Either idle circuit adjustment or float too high.

3. Does pressing the switch several times make the trim work? If so most likely bad soleniod.

Both look good to me.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #103
Lieutenant

So my timing must still be a little off. I had a hard time marking the rusted out spot on the balancer. I must be a little off on my measurement.

Im gonna turn the idle screw mixture in a little. Its at about 1 3/4 turns now.

And thanks on the other. Next time out I will get the bikini pic. :-)
Old 07-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #104
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Glad to see it floating!

So, it isn't back firing at all when warm, only when cold? IS the choke working? Agree though, probably not the choke but certainly wouldn't hurt to double check. And definitely double check the timing. Loading up at idle could possibly be the idle mixture. with the engine completely warmed up and idling, turn the mixture screw in until the engine starts to stumble then back it out1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Should be close. Also, when warmed up and idling pull the flame arrestor and verify that no fuel is dripping in.

Boat and Spouse are looking great, she more than it.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #105
Lieutenant

Thanks Mike!

I will double check the timing. I dont think the choke is working but I would rather put off the choke until after I learn how all the outdrive works and make sure all the maintenance items and checks on it are in good condition.

So far with the outdrive, all I have done is change the gear oil. I really want to check all electrical connections and grease any cables that are supposed to be greased.

My lawn mower is not good right now, so Im kinda having to shift focus on it until its repaired. I would love to just buy a new mower and be done with it. But seems buying boat was more important. LOL
Old 08-06-2016, 11:49 PM   #106
Lieutenant

Took the boat out again today. It did pretty good. As I promised, heres a pic of my wife again in a bikini. Not bad for 51 years old!

A couple of questions please:
When im idlng along in a no wake zone I cannot keep it in a straight line. Im constantly over correcting, going left and right. Is this normal steering on a boat this size?

What are the signs of a bad u joint or gimble bearing? When i was trimmed out at a higher speed, I thought I could hear a little rumbling and feel a little vibration. Is there a way to check these components without removing the outdrive?

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-07-2016, 02:47 AM   #107
Admiral

Slow speed wonder is common on all single screw boats. The reaction time is slow so make minor adjustments and wait for the reaction.

Telling the difference between u joints and the gimbal bearing can be difficult. Even with the drive removed my bearing felt smooth but I replaced it and the noise I had been hearing at slow speeds hard turns went away.

Yes the wife looks good just be sure to tell her.

Mike
Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 AM   #108
Admiral

When it comes to the low speed wonders, predict it, don't correct it... learn to stop your input short.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #109
Lieutenant

Thanks gentleman!
Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #110
Lieutenant

Hey Dan, Mike and everyone else!

I took the boat out again this weekend and we took my in laws and grandson to the river.
I guess this will be my last time on the water for the year because the water was down real low and I tore my prop up pretty good on this trip. Just about got stuck a few times as well trying to get back to the boat ramp. Thats a bummer because I was really looking forward to taking the boat out this fall and listening to college football games on the water. I may see if there's a ramp elsewhere thats not so far off the river.

In the meantime I have a few questions please.
2000 1900 SC
5.0 with Alpha 1
I think the weight is about 2900 lbs.

The prop I tore up(see pic) has the numbers 48 78120 A40 19P on it. It ran 43 mph at 4,000 rpm. I only ran this boat WOT maybe 2 times, and only for about 30 seconds so the numbers could possibly go slightly higher.

I would like to replace it with something that has a little more hole shot and and a good cruising speed. Any suggestions? And since Im not familiar with boat props, any suggestion on what brand and prop material would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
boat1.JPG   boat2.JPG   boat3.JPG  
Old 09-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #111
Admiral

Don't know about your boats dry weight.

Try using merc's prop calculator as it will allow to request hole shot performance. Going to SS will help as well as it does not flex as much however if you hit the bottom as you did the energy is transfer into the gears and may result in damage.

Mike
Old 09-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #112
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Ouch, that prop is horrible lookin. On the flip side, your spouse more than makes up for it.

Question: when you ran the boat at WOT, what was the load in the boat and what was the max RPM? With a light-ish load the engine should spin up to somewhere between 4400-4800 with the correct prop. The reason I ask is because it may already be over propped with the one you have. Well, have most of anyway. LOL Over propping a little may improve the hole shot at the expense of top speed.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #113
Lieutenant

At WOT it was only my wife and I on board with a half tank of fuel running at about 4,000 rpms. I think I need something with a little less pitch.