Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #21
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed & inge View Post
i've seen the most horrible accident....while bouncing on the waves....the driver made a sharp curve.....

so Dan think it over when you or your wife intend to take place with kids on the bow the comming season.........i think you do'nt have an slightest idea of what kind of a murder machine your boat can be.....untill you have seen it.........
Your example above indicates that the boat was going somewhat faster than no wake/idle speed, was bouncing on waves/wakes, and the captain made a sharp turn. No surprize at all that someone fell off.

I would never allow anyone on on the bow if the boat is above no wake/idle speed, or if the conditions were choppy at N/W speed, or if there were other boats near me that may cause me to make a quick turn and throttle up to avoid them. I appreciate your concern but, with all due respect Ed, please re-read what I wrote. As I previously mentioned the only time I allow anyone on my bow is at no wake/idle speed under ideal conditions. I should clarify also that my "kids" are 16, 20, and 20.

Like you, I'm a motorcyclist. I have a very healthy respect for motor vehicles and their inherent dangers.

Respectful regards,

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #22
Admiral

don't worry...I won't let it get to fistycuffs or out of control....so...yack away guys..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #23
Captain

hai dan,

i hope you don't get angry or wathever because that's not the reason from me by posting this, but...

after reading your message again, i stay at my piont.....even with a prop turning 1000/2000 rpm the most horrible accidents can happen. an accident is always hiding in al little corner and comes out when you don't acspect it, and does'nt consider with the age of that person....it would'nt have to be your foult.......just think it over for the health of you and your family, i know what i saw....(hope you all understand what i wrote down)

and because of that, it's not clever from the boating bilders that they make promotion fotos like that...feeling free with a boat like we have can be shown on many other and much saver ways......

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #24
Admiral

Quote:
hai dan, i hope you don't get angry or wathever.......
No Ed, not angry at all! I completely respect your opinion and enjoy the discussion.

You know, motorcycling can be used as an example. No one, not even a motorcyclist, would diagree that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car. Yet, motorcyclists make the decision that the risk, or danger, can be managed. Many take extra precautions in the form of helmets, leathers, training courses, and safe riding practices - thereby reducing the risk to a level they feel is acceptable. But, there are a LOT of people that would never go for a ride on a motorcycle because they feel it is too dangerous and a helmet, leathers, training, and safe riding still won't save you from someone in a car that runs a red light. But yet, each time you and Ing go for a ride, you have made the decision that the danger, the risk, is acceptable to you.

And so it is for me. So, while I agree that letting someone ride on the bow of the boat is more dangerous than riding in the cockpit, the precautions I take reduces/limits the risk to what I feel is acceptable and manageable. You disagree with me. You and Ing feel that you've reduced/limited the risks of riding a mororcycle. Other people disagree with you.

Looks like we shall need to "agree to disagree" on this issue!

No hard feelings. No anger. Just different opinions.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #25
Lt. Commander

All I can say after reading the last couple of posts is Maxum Owners Club equals Gentlemans Club. Nice to see polite, respectful disagreement.
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #26
Admiral

that's why I like this site....no bickering like other sites.....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #27
Lt. Commander

I would say that common sense is 50% of boating and 40% is trying to figure out what the other guy, who has no common sense is doing. The other 10% goes into the Sh** happens category.

That said, I'm going to get back to the original thread. My son and I went to the Atlanta Boat Show this last weekend and while I think its downsized in the last couple of years, it was fairly busy. One of the local Maxum/Bayliner dealers was there and he had a loaded 2900SE. Twin engines, generator, AC and basically all of the bells and whistles that you could ask for $99,000. It had a sticker price of $160,000. Having looked around though, I felt pretty confident that if I had a spare 100K I could probably get a comparable size and class from most of the dealers representing different lines.

What do you think? Would $99,000 be a good deal for that?
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #28
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
That said, I'm going to get back to the original thread.
Oh right - there actually WAS a real subject to this thread.

According to the Maxum website the 2900SE, before any options or upgrades, has a MSRP of 142,351. The 2900 you looked at represents a savings of 43,000 over the base price - which is already substantial enough to be considered a pretty good deal. If the 2900 WAS actually optioned to 160,000 and is being offered at 99, that's 61K in savings. Sixty-One Thousand dollars. If in the market for that sort of boat it would be very hard to ignore. Sounds like a good deal to me, I'd be all over it. Heck, I drove through Atlanta - twice, this weekend. If I'd have known about it I would have been all over it. LOL

Do you have the the build sheet for it - the listing of everything it has?

Dan
Old 01-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #29
Lt. Commander

I don’t have that Dan. I was not a serious buyer, just drooling all over the thing!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #30
Admiral

Quote:
I don’t have that....
Darn, would have enjoyed comparing the build sheet for that boat against the options for the same boat on the Maxum site - just to see how i priced out.

Still appears to be a good deal.

Dan
Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #31
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Oh right - there actually WAS a real subject to this thread.

According to the Maxum website the 2900SE, before any options or upgrades, has a MSRP of 142,351. The 2900 you looked at represents a savings of 43,000 over the base price - which is already substantial enough to be considered a pretty good deal. If the 2900 WAS actually optioned to 160,000 and is being offered at 99, that's 61K in savings. Sixty-One Thousand dollars. If in the market for that sort of boat it would be very hard to ignore. Sounds like a good deal to me, I'd be all over it. Heck, I drove through Atlanta - twice, this weekend. If I'd have known about it I would have been all over it. LOL

Do you have the the build sheet for it - the listing of everything it has?

Dan

what a price this boat starts in the netherlands with a price of (calculated from euro's to dollars) 195.000 dollars......so for a 99.000 dollars BUY BUY BUY BUY
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #32
Lt. Commander

Quote:
BUY BUY BUY BUY
Remember Ed, 50% common sense... I think I beter stay home and enjoy what I have! :-)
Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #33
Captain

Quote:
Remember Ed, 50% common sense... I think I beter stay home and enjoy what I have! :-)

but...but...if you....o gosh....yeah your right.........damned........(haha)

greatz, ed