Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Ensign

Unhappy Gas Tank Leak 2100sc

Sooooo. Bought an incredibly clean and nice 2100sc 1999 last year. Ran great no issues all summer in Iowa. Winterized just fine, stored indoors, but when brought out to summerize and taken to local marina, they found a leak when they filled the tank. Not gushing they said, but definite leak. The head mechanic believes it is the area where the gas goes in to the tank at the top. He started to remove part of the motor to see it better, and realized it was too invasive of a job for him. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I paid $6,000 for the boat, and not sure I want to pour that much more in to it. I like it and even had a brand new cover custom made for it last fall. Ugh.

Sad in Iowa!

MAXUMinIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Only way to fix it is to cut the floor and replace the tank. Is it metal or plastic?

It a job of labor and new tank cost.

Most tank leak at the bottom so if the leak is at the top I would first verify the hoses are good, fill, vent, and engine supply. Look for cracks in the rubber.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
Ensign

Just got back from picking up the boat, and was lucky enough to catch the person who did the work on the "summerize" part of it. He was able to show me where the leak was, and I took some pics of it. He said it was noticed after they did the work on it, and when they were filling it up, he said when he opened the back up to see what the noise was, gas was squirting/spewing from a tiny pin hole pin the pictures. He said there is a patch available but he did not want to put it on, as he would be liable. It's not the easiest to get at, but does not appear to as bad as a leak underneath, or a major hole in the side or anywhere else. Any suggestions or ideas?

FOR SOME REASON PICS ARE UPSIDE DOWN
Attached Thumbnails
20170514_165535.jpg   20170514_165559.jpg   20170514_165614.jpg  
Old 05-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #4
Ensign

Right side up pics.

And thanks for the reply MMWJR. Much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
20170514_165535.jpg   20170514_165559.jpg   20170514_165614.jpg  
Old 05-15-2017, 01:58 AM   #5
Admiral

Call me Mike

Did the mechanic remove or replace the fill hose? It looks like the neck was gauged by a screwdriver. Also looks like the hose used to be installed further onto the neck of the gas tank and would have covered where the hole is.

You may want to contact a fuel tank manufacture and send them these pictures to get their opinion.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:17 AM   #6
Ensign

Thanks Mike. You have been most helpful.

I will contact them tomorrow and see if I can get them to say they were working in that area and might have accidentally caused it.

It certainly to me, doesn't look like a $2000 fix. I understand why they don't want to do it, as it's their liability, but like you said, it appears "muddy" down below the mark as if it had slipped or was loosened up recently and not placed back all the way back down to the original mark. Maybe they moved it while working on the motor to get it ready for spring, and didn't have it all the way back down revealing the problem/leak that might have been there for a while.

Either way, i'm taking it to a local marina place that specializes in gas tanks. Although they weren't too thrilled about working on mine if it had to be completely replaced or the floor torn up, maybe they will see this as a doable project.

The mechanic did tell me there is a patch for it, but he didn't want to do it. Doesn't to me, even seem like a patch is needed, just loosen the clamps, slide down to original mark, and tighten again, and then just keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't moving, or a leak somewhere else.

Brett

Tags
2100sc, gas leak, tank leak