Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Fuel/Water separator

Since I've had recent issues with my fuel system, I've started to think about ways that I can make it more reliable. I already add a stabilizer (Startron) every time I fill up, and until now I've believed that would be enough. But I've heard horror stories about ethanol-laced fuel doing damage in spite of using stabilizer. A friend of mine just had to have his 90 gal tank drained because of water separation.

My fuel system has filters, built into the Mercruiser "cool fuel module", but as far as I know I don't have a fuel/water separator installed. If it's there it's not obvious, and I would think it would be.

So, is this something I should worry about? Water separation happens because of the ethanol, right? (or at least that's one reason). Maybe I shoudl install a fuel/water separator?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #2

Phase seperation occurs in gasoline regardless. Ethanol simply makes it happen much faster. I would be careful not to confuse Startron and Fuel Stabilizer. Startron is more helpful AFTER the fuel has begun to seperate. Stabilizer reduces the speed in which phase seperation occurs. I would be using BOTH a stabilizer made for ethanol AND Startron.

the Merc Cool Fuel System uses a water seperating fuel filter to begin with. You shouldn't need another one.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/_media/...1070-Maint.pdf

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Captain

water seperators have been on cars since 1920's.

its the glass bowl under the vaccum tank...(1920's reference)... behind the fuel pump or infront of the carborator.

how do they work?

simple, water sinks to the bottom of the glass bowl, or the bottom of your gas tank.

you look in the glass bowl, and if you see a dark line on top of a white space, thats the gas riding on top of the water.... (oil and water)

so, your boat fuel seperator is the same thing upside down in a filter.

gas goes in the top the water sinks to the bottom, and the short straw sucks the gas to the engine.

when the fuel seperator get full of water then the short straw will suck water.

the mercruzer water seperator hold almost a quart, so you have to really have a garden hose worth of water to fill one up in a season.

heat, or other water removers are just alcohol that bonds with the water molecules.

gas is still basically Kerosene -Water and ethanol, for example, are miscible since they mix in all proportions.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Guys, thanks for the thorough responses. Shrew, I feel a little dumb, right on page 74 of the Mercruiser manual it has a section called "Changing Water Separating Fuel Filter". I guess when all else fails read the manual.

The manual says I only have to change it every 100 hours, so I guess there's no routine maintenance other than that.

I'll look into Startron, my recollection is that it is marketed as a stabilizer (actually multi-purpose), but I will double check.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
Ensign

anyone know what the in line fuel filter number is on 28scr 383 mer stroker?
brewster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster01 View Post
anyone know what the in line fuel filter number is on 28scr 383 mer stroker?
A 383 stroker is not a engine Maxum would have installed. Is this a Mercruiser or aftermarket engine? If Mercruiser there should be a serial number so you can look up parts at Mercruiserparts.com.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote