Old 06-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Vin
Ensign

Default Fuel capacity

I've always thought my Maxum Bayliner 2100SR (1999) had a 30 gal gas capacity. But we just used a mobile gas service and they said they pumped in 44.2 gals. Of course we didnt witness this😎
I'm sure it's not a rip off but for 18 years it seemed to "fill" at 30. I don't want to call them and ask.. But it makes me wonder..
Thanks for any help
Vin

Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #2

Welcome aboard.
I have one just like yours but 2001 and is 50 gallons tank. And no, it's not a rip off.

Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Got a 2000 and if I use my gozintas from metric to imperial it 50 gal [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000, 2100SR 5.7 Alpha 1 Gen 2
Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
Admiral

I would expect no less than a 50 gallon tank in that model.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

The pickup tube doesn't go to the bottom of the tank. A tanks actual capacity and it's USABLE capacity is very different. You can run out of gas and still have several gallons in there that the pickup tube simply cannot reach.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
The pickup tube doesn't go to the bottom of the tank. A tanks actual capacity and it's USABLE capacity is very different. You can run out of gas and still have several gallons in there that the pickup tube simply cannot reach.
Following up on this thread, I've been (understanding my ignorance with and relative newness to boating) trying to get an idea of my usage of fuel consumption. Not as in specs but relating to my usage; fully understand same boat/power plant may be totally different when someone else uses theirs. In my car I would simply fill the tank, use it, fill it again as a measure. Seems like no good way to do that with the boat as I've been told never to fill the tank more than roughly 80% of capacity (assuming mine is similar as mentioned above as it's also a 2100 Sr-1990 model-but should be close). Also recognize if the tank is too full launching at the ramp might cause spillage out the overflow.

Any one care to educate the uninitiated?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
CapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
Following up on this thread, I've been (understanding my ignorance with and relative newness to boating) trying to get an idea of my usage of fuel consumption. Not as in specs but relating to my usage; fully understand same boat/power plant may be totally different when someone else uses theirs. In my car I would simply fill the tank, use it, fill it again as a measure. Seems like no good way to do that with the boat as I've been told never to fill the tank more than roughly 80% of capacity (assuming mine is similar as mentioned above as it's also a 2100 Sr-1990 model-but should be close). Also recognize if the tank is too full launching at the ramp might cause spillage out the overflow.

Any one care to educate the uninitiated?

Thanks

I always fill mine till the first click off of the pump just like my truck.

The issue with overfilling (boat/car) is expansion of the fuel from sitting in the sun can cause it to spill out the tanks vent. This is more of an issue with a boat as the fuel tank is fully enclosed within the boat with minimal ventilation so the temps are higher. Additionally boats do not have a vapor recovery system like your car does.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I always fill mine till the first click off of the pump just like my truck.

The issue with overfilling (boat/car) is expansion of the fuel from sitting in the sun can cause it to spill out the tanks vent. This is more of an issue with a boat as the fuel tank is fully enclosed within the boat with minimal ventilation so the temps are higher. Additionally boats do not have a vapor recovery system like your car does.
So following this idea, backing down the ramp shouldn't be a problem and I just use the hour gage in engine compartment to get an idea of how much I'm using.

Thanks much for the quick reply and relieving a little anxiety lol.

CapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #9

I always fill the tank up right before I put it in the water. From that points on, I turn the engine on and ride for minimum 45 minutes. So I can't ower filet even if a want to. But like Mike say never file after the first click off.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #10

You can use the following calculation:

Measurement in Inches

(Length x Width x Height)/231 = Capacity in Gallons

(20" x 12" x 12")/231 = 12.467 gallons

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote