Old 05-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #1
Ensign

Question First boat for my retired father, help

Hello Maxum Owners Clun forum,

I am here today on behalf of my father due to him not being to computer savvy and thought I would try to help him out. As you can see from the title he's retired and looking to spend a lot of his newly found free time on a boat, day trips and weekends away. His mother and father used to own a boat back in the day and he want's to go back to that chilled out life. This also means he knows a few bits on maintenance, sailing etc.

When we were looking online for a boat he came across a 2003 Maxum powercruiser that he liked the look of and the specs sound pretty awesome. But the truth is we don't know a great deal about modern boats and would love your guy's input to help us make a decision.

SPECS
Price $40,000 OBO
Year 2003
Condition: Excellent
Engine Hours Total: 530
Description as written on the site:
Quote:
$40000 US OBO. 2003 Maxum 30 foot fiberglass powercruiser boat. Dual Mercury Cruiser Bravo 3s. ~530 and 620 original hours. Cruising speed 27 knots. Sleeps 5-6 people below and 1-2 above. Comes with trailer ($8000 value) and like-new tender ($2500 value).
Galley includes stove (electric/alcohol), fridge/freezer, microwave, and sink, head+shower+sink, stereo, buss heater, air conditioner/heat pump, water heater, VHF radio, Raymarine GPS and radar, macerator, lots of storage. Some wear of the isinglass and mesh in main cabin and on the legs. Otherwise in good shape. Always stored inside in the winter and bi-annual maintenance (documents and logs available). No mold. No leaks. 2 new house batteries, 2 starter batteries.
What do you guys think of what you can see in terms of price and maybe something that might be hiding beneath?

Really looking forward to speaking with you guys!

Thanks

JP1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Get the boat surveyed it's well worth the cost if you are not knowledgeable. This includes a sea trail which is a must so you can see how she performs. Test all systems. Go to yachtworld.com to compare prices.

You did not state the model number of the boat not the engine size. Is it a freshwater boat or saltwater? If salt 500-600 hours means it's time to replace the exhaust manifolds and risers if they have not already been done.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:34 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the reply. Getting the boat surveyed makes sense and is the safest root to go down. I will find a surveyor and check out the yachtworld then get back to you.

I will be back soon with what the next step is!!

Thanks again
Old 06-01-2017, 03:27 AM   #4
Ensign

The surveyor came yesterday and you was right! It was a brilliant idea to get one and you have saved us some money. The surveyor said that the boat had a few blisters that can lead to big costs in the not so far future. The engine had a few minor issues due to not being run for a year or so. This took the $40.000 price mark down quite a bit.

We have decided to keep looking and taking a surveyor every time. Our next boat is the ninth one down on this site http://www.used.forsale/maxum-yatch It's a 27' 2001 Maxum 2700 SCR. It looks like it has been looked after a lot better and the description has a lot of detail.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
Admiral

Glad you were able to discover the issues before buying it. Blisters can be fixed but I understand your decision to move on.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote