Old 06-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Feeling pretty good, and... nervous

Hello all! My wife and I have finally decided to change our lifestyle and purchase a Maxum 1800 SR3 '09 so we can spend some family time on the water. We have both been around boats a little bit growing up but this is the first boat we will own and we are pretty nervous about getting it in the water for the first time. I am hoping that I can benifit from some of the experiances that you have had and maybe create some of my own to share in the future. One big concern for us is our two boys one 3 years and one 6 months, how have you handled young childern in your boats to keep them safe? I am also a little nervous about our fist trip in the water, we pick up our boat monday and we are heading to the lake wednesday for 7 days to have some family fun. I would really like to make our first trip with the new boat an amazing experiance for my family, is there any tips you guys can think of that will help break the boat in, and well... Break us in as well to this new lifestyle?

On a side note I know this the maxum forum but maybe I can slide this one in there:P When my wife and I were looking at boats we were undecided on the Bayliner 185 and This Maxum 1800 SR3. Both boats I was told were created from the same mold at the same plant with the same parts. Did I make a solid choice in Choosing the maxum?

Animalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Feeling pretty good, and... nervous

Welcome to the zoo...had me going there for a minute..I thought this might be a spamming thread but, after reading it.. found it wasn't :mrgreen:
well..the first thing I want to address is being new boaters...I'm going to say something that I hope doesn't offend but I've seen it happen time and time again...you get the keys..don't know a thing about boating and all of a sudden your the experts...don't let your pride get in the way of learning a boat...have the sales guy walk you thru everything on the boat..how the bilge pump works..how to work the vhf radio and use it properly...ie..the phonetic alphabet....etc.....
how to properly get up on plane..how to dock the boat and tie lines off...don't be afraid to ask any question either here or from the experienced people you meet....watch the weather....closely and don't be afraid to call it a day if your not sure of what it's gonna do...it can save your life.....know the limitations of yourself and the boat on the water...
The best advice I can tell you is to take a boating safety course the power sqdn or the Coast Guard puts on several times a yr...you and your wife can take it and both will learn ton's just from that course...it's on line also.....but nothing like being taught in person....

your boating with little ones..make sure you have a pfd on both at all times they are near the water......we were witness to a young 2 yr old drowning cuz the parents were too stupid to watch her...it took maybe 10 sec's and the kid was gone and under the water.....wedged under the dock.....life's too precious with a child let loose sight of them.....make sure they wear the pfd all the time....then keep real close watch...even when underway your going to have your hands full keeping them coralled and drive the boat...

keep your head on a swival while underway...watch out for the nuts/drunks driving on the lake....they usually don't have the common sense god gave a shuval.....I know I'm being critical...but your new and don't want some idiot to crash into you or you have a bad weekend from some drunk's stupidity..(seen it too many times on lake washington).....

have dock lines/fenders at the ready when you get to the launch lanes...transom plug in before you leave the house....... and first aid kit close when you cut yourself or the kids fall....

when crossing another boaters wake..cross at a 45deg angle...and slow down....it will make the ride much more enjoyable....

finally other than having as much fun as possible.....never approach the dock faster than you want to crash into it....... irate:

oh yeah..bayliner vs maxum....they are basically the same boat...who ever told you they were the same mold in the same factory ..I'd say was pulling your leg....bayliners that small are built in mexico...the maxum lines are built in the US..can't remember where...but I know they were built here.....they use a bit more stainless steel on the hull penetrations but other than that.....there is really no difference....same engine/drive packages....same type fiberglass and resin...just a little heavier on the material and different flooring..but pretty much basically the same boats......so.....to me.....a boat is a boat....it's just what the designer wants to use and make it look like to sell boats......

welcome to the zoo...feel free to ask anything you want here.....we have a bunch of guys with the small boats and can help alot with that size boat questions......

tell us a bit about yourselves...where you boat...etc....someone maybe close by and willing to stop by and help out sometime if you get into a jam or something...

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Ensign

Thank you for the quick very helpful response. I live in Edmonton Alberta and will be spending most of the time in Hanmore, Garner, North buck, and Long Lake. I would love to one day take my boat to Vancouver on Vacation and spend some time in the ocean but I am a very long ways from having the skills to do that. I am atm trying to find out where and when we can take a safety course, you are right that is really something that is a must for us. I also have to take the liscensing exam from my government or from boaterexam.com. We bought this boat so that we could do a little more fishing than we do already but also raise our boys as close to the water as possible. We want to get into watersports, Tubing and kneeboarding then maybe skiing and wakeboarding. As for my previous experiance with Boats, We own a Zodiac with a 10.5 hp motor that we used to use for fishing all the time. Took forever to get to the spot but we could go anywhere on the lake and catch some nice fish. Instead of backing the trailer down the launch we would pick up our boat and throw in the back of the Box:P I have a lot to learn, but I am excited to do it. How about when you guys first put a boat in the water I bet there are some really good stories out there?

Thank you SP for all the helpful tips.
Rick
Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Hey Rick welcome
I know someone that bought that boat last year. They have put a porti potty on for those need to go times. They don't have a bimini top with theirs but would be a nice addition for those hot days in the sun.
Hats, sunglasses and sun block for everyone is a must.
Have a great season
Paul
Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the tips Paul, were picking up the boat tommorow and then heading to the lake Wednesday. Just trying to go over anything else I can pick up with the boat to make sure if there are any problems I can fix them up. I got all of the reccomended safety gear, a spare prop and spare trailer tire. Not too sure what else I can have problems with as far as spare parts I should carry with me but when I get home I will let you guys know how it went. Have a great week/weekend and ty very much for the help
Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Don't go any faster than your kids want to go. I went too fast once and now my three year old is afraid of going even a little fast, so we have been cruising around 2000 rpms (i.e., very slow). I am slowly getting him confident again, but I wish I had never pushed it to begin with.
Ticamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Oh, and for kids it is good to have some boat-specific toys that they play with just on the boat. Keeps it special and the have something to do when they get bored, which they will.
Ticamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Hey Ticamo
That is a good idea for young kids. We will keep that in mind when the grandkids come along.
Paul
Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #9

If I could give any new boater advice, it would be this:

Don't yell at the wife. NO MATTER WHAT!!! YOU are the skipper. This not only means that you're in charge, but you're also at fault. The wife didn't accidentally drop the stern line into the outdrive. Nor did she forget to untie a line to the dock as you're pulling away. YOU engaged the boat into gear without making sure that all lines were out of the water and/or free. The wife didn't fail to fend off the dock when you were pulling in, YOU hit the dock. If the wife doesn't understand something it's not because she lacks in comprehension skills, it's because YOU lack in the ability to clearly explain your intentions and expectations.
I see this so frequently I've often thought about collecting stories for a book. The crew has no idea what you want them to do until you tell them. Once you're yelling at people it will only frustrate them, fluster them and you will end up making a spectacle of yourself. Trust me, this is the difference between a good day and a bad one. Don't give the crew a reason to hate boating.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
Admiral

oh man shrew...tain't that the truth.....scuse me..but I gotta go do some stuff on the boat...hopefully it makes the admirable happy this coming vacation for 9 days..

SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
Ensign

Hey there, I'm in Sherwwod Pk., bought the same boat last year, couple of us 1800'S out at Lac La Nonne. Still don't regret the choice. Have Fun!

Jake
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
Lt. JG

Also from Edmonton. A 1900 SR3 ('06). Was my first boat too. Which means I've made every mistake in the book (including the boneheaded drain plug error), but I've learned a lot in the last few years and had a great time on the water with my family. Welcome aboard.
northerntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Hope your voyage went well. I will say this. When I first got my boat, I learned everything about the systems on the boat (engines, electrical, head, bilges, etc.) before embarking on my test run. Now, I have a wife and four kids ranging from 11 down to 3 year old. I didn't feel comfortable having them along for the first time so I had a couple of good buddies tag along on my first launch. Once I felt comfortable manuevering, docking and anchoring, which took little time that day, I had the family aboard the next day; we had a blast. Safety was my first concern for my family, as I know yours is too, and I felt safe enough once my attention was less concentrated on the BOAT.

As for the Kids, how wonderful they will remember this experiece you have shown them. With my kids, they understand that the chaos at home is not tolerated on the boat under the CAPTAIN'S rule; I'm talking about Me...my wife shares this role at home - at least when I stay out of trouble. We approach the boat single file and the kids know that order is expected...great time to show them some organizational and listening skills as deck hands. Remember, being the Captain of your vessel is an extension of your home life with just the possiblilty of sinking, less mutany, and the Wife lets you think you are the Captain for a day.