Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
Ensign

Default Re: Feeling pretty good, and... nervous

Hey there, I'm in Sherwwod Pk., bought the same boat last year, couple of us 1800'S out at Lac La Nonne. Still don't regret the choice. Have Fun!

Jake

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
Lt. JG

Also from Edmonton. A 1900 SR3 ('06). Was my first boat too. Which means I've made every mistake in the book (including the boneheaded drain plug error), but I've learned a lot in the last few years and had a great time on the water with my family. Welcome aboard.

northerntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Hope your voyage went well. I will say this. When I first got my boat, I learned everything about the systems on the boat (engines, electrical, head, bilges, etc.) before embarking on my test run. Now, I have a wife and four kids ranging from 11 down to 3 year old. I didn't feel comfortable having them along for the first time so I had a couple of good buddies tag along on my first launch. Once I felt comfortable manuevering, docking and anchoring, which took little time that day, I had the family aboard the next day; we had a blast. Safety was my first concern for my family, as I know yours is too, and I felt safe enough once my attention was less concentrated on the BOAT.

As for the Kids, how wonderful they will remember this experiece you have shown them. With my kids, they understand that the chaos at home is not tolerated on the boat under the CAPTAIN'S rule; I'm talking about Me...my wife shares this role at home - at least when I stay out of trouble. We approach the boat single file and the kids know that order is expected...great time to show them some organizational and listening skills as deck hands. Remember, being the Captain of your vessel is an extension of your home life with just the possiblilty of sinking, less mutany, and the Wife lets you think you are the Captain for a day.