Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Extensive wood rot mid cabin to engine compartment

Trying to sell my 2000 Maxum 3000 SCR. Potential buyer had it surveyed and found wood rot in mid bildge, after cabin floor, back along the port side of the engine compartment to the transom where the batteries and hot hot water tank are located. Most of buldheads and stringers too. Labor to remove engines, batteries, etc and for the entire job is $12K. The rest of the boat is in very good condition with only 530 hrs on port engine and a new starboard engine. Raymarine C80 chartploter. At this point I do not want to put any more money in it and want to sell it as is. The cabin is in excellent condition too. Can anyone suggest best places to list this boat. There must be a good site for those looking for project boats.

Thanks

nightsticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #2

I'm sorry to hear about the wood rot. Most of that would not be too big of a project, until you got into the stringers. There are a number of good sites to sell used boats. boats.com yachtworld.com boattrader.com

You will find someone out there willing to buy even with full disclosure. You'd be better off taking 12K off of the asking price, than spending 12K to repair and then trying to keep the asking price. Lots of people jump at a really cheap boat, even if it means some labor.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Captain

the 2000 2700scr, 2800scr and 3000scr are all running around $20k retail.

They try for $30k, but end up in the low $20's.

In your state, to get it out of your drive way, I'd figure $10k to $12k for a guy who want to fix it.

He pulls the engines, he will rebuilt the transom assemblies, and most like rebuilt the motors at the same time and get it ready for its 2nd life.

You could find a cheap guy to pull the engine for $2k, and i'd figure $4k to remove the rot.

I would not take the word of a one boat survey, i'd call around to a few mobile mechanics and let this tell you whats up.

Might not be all that bad.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Have you seen the rot ?? This guy could be blowin smoke rings from his butt. I find it difficult for a 12 year old boat
to have extensive rot. Have you seen it??. I am in California with wet winters and very dry summers and my 1995 2400 SCR
is like new with 0 rot. Sounds like he's trying to steal your boat. Seller beware......
Calguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Ensign

I have had two marine fiberglass guys give me an estimate and one broker. I have seen the wood rot damage. All of us wee shocked to see that much water/rot damage in a 2000 model boat. I live in a condo complex about 25 miles from where the marina on the Detroit River so it is difficult managing . The port engine has 520 hours and the starboard engine is new (rebuilt). If someone offers me $22K, I will take it.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
Ensign

I live in a condo complex about 25 miles from where the marina on the Detroit River. The port engine has 520 hours and the starboard engine if new (rebuilt). If someone offers me $22K, I will take it.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Captain

make and insurance claim, and let them send an adjuster to look at it.

you might get money out of them.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #8

It would be tough to get that covered under insurance. It would be like trying to get a rusted car's body work covered by a claim. If the market is reasonably in the 25K range, then you'd be looking at 12-14K to unload the boat with that kind of damage. Otherwise it sounds like spend 12K to sell for 25K. There are plenty of folks out there dying to get into boating with a "I can build a deck, I'm sure I can fix a little wood rot" attitude. Sure, they have no idea what they're getting into, but with full disclosure, that is for them to decide.

Best of luck.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Captain

there are lots of videos on youtube on people replacing floors and stringers.

The wood parts of the hull is basically epoxy or glue to the hull.

Its not that complicated.

what I would do, use the boat this season, and call around in January for a starving fiberglass guy, to work on it in your yard.

Craigslist.org, in your area got 100's of ads.

if your not falling thru the floor, and the engines not coming lose, its just maintenance.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Ensign

The boat is a 30 ft Maxum and I live in a condo with lots of restrictions. I am asking for sites to advertise full disclosure of the rot damage. The boat lists for the high $39K and I am trying to get $20K for it. The estimate to repair is $17K. $4500 in materials and the rest is labor (have to pull engines) and replace transom.

Thank you