Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Engine wont always turn over

I have been told about this problem by the previous owner, i have a constant alarm and when i turn the key nothing happens, try a few more times by turning off and on and it turns over, if it doesnt fire up when i try again the key will not do anything, give it another go and it cranks over....you get the picture.

Is this a known issue and is there a diy fix? having read other posts here the alarm may be the depth finder, but with no manual i have no idea what the alarm is connected to...oil levels etc.

its a 1997 1750 i think

Picbefore i machine polished

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Admiral

warpa1...the alarms at the key level is one of 3 items...drive oil level....temp.....and oil pressure...

if your engine isn't starting but is turning over...there are a few things that can cause this....the switch near the throttle that has the safety lanyard is the usual culprit......sometimes if you can get a small can of wd40 up into the switch...that will clean off the contacts and that will resolve the issue....
the other is a bad coil or controller....sometimes they are intermitten and after trying a few times ...start working....

another thing to check is all your connections from the batt. to the starter and beyond...if there is corrosion...that will cause intermitten connections...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

When it turns over it starts, but sometimes turning the key does nothing. When i have done the service and winterisation ill check and clean all electrical connections
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote